Koonitz Weekly Paint 2016

The goal of #theweeklypaint is simple - to develop our skills and paint our armies by making an effort to paint something every week. Anyone is welcome to fire up a thread and join in!
Koonitz
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting Pledges

Koonitz Weekly Paint 2016

Post by Koonitz » Sat Apr 02, 2016 12:56 pm

I started late, but considering how much I paint, I thought I may as well post here. I tend to share what I complete with the local facebook group, which seems to definitely be catching on, fueling more people to paint and show off.

I'll start by catching up with what I've done over the last week, with Baby's First Landraider (Despite having 8000 points, this was the first Land Raider I've completed). The central turret and multi-melta are not glued and the two side sponsons are magnetized, waiting for me to complete the flamestorm cannons that I had the spare Crusader upgrade sprue to build. Of particular pride for me is the image on the book on the blue half. I was originally going for a circle, but the brush swiped a little wide and I stopped it half way through. Turns out, it came out as a perfect "crescent moon on an ocean horizon". (Yes, I promptly went out and replaced my extra-fine artists pen shortly after)

Also, what is more difficult to see is one of the conversions I have done across my entire army. All bolter based weapons and assault cannons have been converted to laser based weaponry (slanted barrels). It's a little difficult to see (look at the Scout squad picture below for a clearer look at some of the conversions).
[+] Expand
After completing the Land Raider, I did some sorting of some of the random sprues I have laying about, and found a spare Razorback turret sprue laying about. Turns out it was the perfect item I needed to do a little conversion. I don't remember where I saw this conversion online, but I loved it enough to shamelessly steal it. The plasma guns are Tac Squad combi bolter bits and the plasma cells on the back are from a Storm Raven plasma cannon.
[+] Expand
Lastly, what I just finished half an hour ago, my planned Bolter Skiff crew. I wanted an excuse to build a Land Speeder Storm with full crew intact (I left the crew out of my first Storm, which I took advantage of here, as these are said models), so I built a bunch of Scouts with bolters. The heavy bolter Scout is an old metal model. You can much more clearly see the conversions I do on every bolter. I've replaced the clips with lasgun energy clips and the barrels with lasgun barrels. The heavy bolter barrel is just a bit of plasticard cut at an angle.

You can also see my 2nd Tac squad sergeant getting a refit. Now that he has a LasPlas razorback to ride in, he's getting a combi-plasma to pair with the plasma gun and plasma cannon to really bring the plasma home (and so I can maximize opportunities to kill my own models).
[+] Expand
Armies:
40k: Knights Cynosure Iron Hands successor chapter, House Terryn Questor Imperialis, Thousand Sons/Tzeentch Daemons
30k: Thousand Sons
Age of Sigmar: Sylvaneth, Disciples of Tzeentch

Guildenstern
Lost in the MiniWarGaming world...
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildWon 3 monthly Terrain Group BuildsHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Re: Koonitz Weekly Paint 2016

Post by Guildenstern » Sun Apr 03, 2016 3:54 pm

beautiful work! =D

also killing your own models is fun! :D
Dez: "PAINT FOR THE PAINT GODS, SPRUES FOR THE SPRUE THRONE!!"
Guildy's WIP thread (mostly Skaven)
Guildy's weeklypaint thread! (everything mostly not Skaven!)

Dez
Spends far too much time here...
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Took part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Dez » Mon Apr 04, 2016 9:29 am

Nice use of the Storm crew!
PAINT FOR THE PAINT GODS, SPRUES FOR THE SPRUE THRONE!!!

Koonitz
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting Pledges

Post by Koonitz » Sun Apr 10, 2016 8:30 pm

Week 2 of posting here. I managed to finish the sergeant and two more missile launchers for my battle company's IXth squadron. The first two launchers I had completed a long time ago and had to rebase on the new bases so they didn't stand out.

I also finished a new Razorback, which would make number 4 for my Rhino/Razorback hulls.
[+] Expand
In addition, I decided to clean up and put together the first 5 of my Thousand Sons 30k army. No glue yet, as I prefer to paint before assembling. So far, I haven't figured out how I'm going to paint them. I don't have easy access to an airbrush (I have a friend that has a good one, but I very rarely ask him to do stuff) and I'm not sure how easy it would be to get the paints required to follow Kris's suggestion for the metallic red.
[+] Expand
Armies:
40k: Knights Cynosure Iron Hands successor chapter, House Terryn Questor Imperialis, Thousand Sons/Tzeentch Daemons

Guildenstern
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildWon 3 monthly Terrain Group BuildsHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by Guildenstern » Mon Apr 11, 2016 1:27 pm

very nice looking! I like that colour scheme

Koonitz

Post by Koonitz » Sat Apr 16, 2016 2:18 pm

This week, I managed to finish 5 more Tac Marines, filling out Squad IV of my Battle Company. This puts me at 76 Marines completed. The keeners will note that every model has something on it from the Iron Hands upgrade sprues.

Also got a stack of purity seals on my table to paint up so I can glue them all over the place. I rather like having a reserve supply of pre-painted purity seals for my models.
[+] Expand
Also got my new weekly acquisitions. I suspect these will be common acquisitions for the Space Marine players amongst us. Not sure, yet, if I want to make the Imperial Space Marine my painting priority, yet, or not....

With that being said, as I'm going to paint him in my Chapter colors, should I convert the bolter like I do all my other ones, or do people think that's heresy on such a rare model? :P
[+] Expand
Last edited by Koonitz on Sun Apr 17, 2016 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Armies:

Guildenstern

Post by Guildenstern » Sat Apr 16, 2016 11:33 pm

grats!!

I think it's your space marine, let the heresy flow ;)

Koonitz

Post by Koonitz » Sun Apr 17, 2016 9:56 pm

Thanks.

My rapid-fire plan changing has reared its head once again after playing a game with the Iron Hands Fist of Medusa Strike Force formation. Had a lot of trouble building the list I used because I tried so very hard to fit Librarians into it. I never could do it and realized the biggest problem was a lack of focus. There really wasn't any way for me to bring them that felt... right. At least, with the models I had (mostly power armoured Librarians). I realized the biggest problem was that I wanted to bring my Cavalry command squad and mounted Librarian, but only had one.

So, with a good suggestion from a friend, a new project for more mounted Librarians was born, with these...
[+] Expand
Armies:

Koonitz

Post by Koonitz » Sat Apr 23, 2016 10:14 pm

Not much on the plate for this week. Worked on 5 more Assault Marines, including the veteran Sergeant Goldenclaws. Still have to do the bases, and it'll bring me to 80/100 for my 3rd Company. Before that, I finished the power fist for my Contemptor. With the new Angels of Death supplement rules for Contemptors, I had to have one to field him in my detachment. Had it magnetized for ages, just never bothered to paint it until now.
[+] Expand
Still musing on the Imperial Space Marine, and the new psyker mounts (they'll be a lot of work, tearing the Chaos symbols off).

Edit: Here's an "All Painted" shot of my Marines and Knights. I took it to show to a friend and thought I'd add it here for lack of a better place to put it.
[+] Expand
Armies:

Guildenstern

Post by Guildenstern » Sun Apr 24, 2016 12:24 pm

beautiful army shot Koonitz! I love seeing those :D

Koonitz

Post by Koonitz » Sun Apr 24, 2016 4:14 pm

General-Kroll wrote:I'm looking forward to seeing what you do with the anniversary model. The vanguards look great btw.
They aren't vanguards. Just used the vanguard kit to make the veteran Sergeant for my XIIIth squad assault marines. The other four are standard assault marines. Old kit with new sized bases.

I have to admit, seeing the jump pack equipped marines on the larger bases makes them feel bulkier, even though they're identical in size otherwise.

I've just primed the anniversary model. I think I'll finish him in the next couple days. I'll probably be grabbing a Vindicator on my next paycheque. Speaking of the Vindicator.... I've always been hesitant to grab one because I never liked it. Mainly because I much prefer the Demolisher's area denial against the Vindicator's line breaking role. As such, grabbing a Vindicator is a pretty big deal for me.

Think I should make it that much more special by ordering a Deimos Vindicator from Forge World instead? Looks cooler and will look dramatically unique compared to everyone else's Vindies.
Guildenstern wrote:beautiful army shot Koonitz! I love seeing those :D
Thanks! I'm really pleased with how the army looks together. It was one flaw I had with my Guard. Being one of my first armies, I never really built them with a coherent background or goal in mind, so I never had any real good squad/company markings on either the infantry or tanks. When I started my Marines, I made sure to maintain that coherent theme, largely following the Codex Astartes. Also, I'm really happy with the white/blue dual colour.
Last edited by Koonitz on Sun Apr 24, 2016 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Armies: