Brookgrim's 2016 Weekly Paint

The goal of #theweeklypaint is simple - to develop our skills and paint our armies by making an effort to paint something every week. Anyone is welcome to fire up a thread and join in!
Brookgrim
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Brookgrim's 2016 Weekly Paint

Post by Brookgrim » Thu Mar 31, 2016 3:34 am

Recently finished the dreaded Wraith Knight! The arms and shoulder weapons are magnetized. I tried a water effect with the base for the first time which didn't come out too well. Let me know what you think!

Current WIP - Eldar Lynx

LordMcAllister
Silver Vault Member
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Re: Brookgrim's 2016 Weekly Paint

Post by LordMcAllister » Thu Mar 31, 2016 4:53 am

Wow! The pictures of your Wraith Knight could easily be put on the cover of the minis box! Such a crisp and clean work! For the watereffect.. did you mix paint into the effect and poured two differently coloured layers?
Painted in 2018:
AdMech: 2 Vanguard
Marines: 1 Rhino, 6 Primaris Intercessor

Dez
Spends far too much time here...
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Took part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Dez » Thu Mar 31, 2016 11:39 am

You knocked it out of the park!
PAINT FOR THE PAINT GODS, SPRUES FOR THE SPRUE THRONE!!!

Aegis
Gold Vault Member

Post by Aegis » Thu Mar 31, 2016 8:13 pm

That is a lovely Wraithknight. I am looking forward to seeing more of your projects.
Former MWG Leland, now just regular, old Leland. Now with more grump!

To see what I am working on, check out my Facebook page at its new address Aegisbrand Studios or just search for Leland Martel

Brookgrim
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Post by Brookgrim » Fri Apr 01, 2016 2:24 am

Thanks for all the comments! Here is a picture of the base so you can see the water effect:

I poured three layers, the first with a dark blue transparent paint, next with a light blue paint, and the last with a clear layer. The light blue was not transparent and ruined the effect imo. Next time I think it would work better to pour more thin layers and use all transparent paint. Maybe even sticking to one color and using less with every layer would be more effective. Anyone have any good tips for working with water effects? I was using realistic water from woodland scenics.

Guildenstern
Lost in the MiniWarGaming world...
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildWon 3 monthly Terrain Group BuildsHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by Guildenstern » Sun Apr 03, 2016 4:03 pm

Brookgrim wrote:Thanks for all the comments! Here is a picture of the base so you can see the water effect:

I poured three layers, the first with a dark blue transparent paint, next with a light blue paint, and the last with a clear layer. The light blue was not transparent and ruined the effect imo. Next time I think it would work better to pour more thin layers and use all transparent paint. Maybe even sticking to one color and using less with every layer would be more effective. Anyone have any good tips for working with water effects? I was using realistic water from woodland scenics.
yeah it was likely the paint, then. I've had this happen also when I pour layers too thick and don't let them cure well enough before doing another. If it's cloudy because of the layers, it will usually eventually cure but it can take quite a while, like days or even longer. If it's the paint, meh you're out of luck.

Sorta.

You *can* carefully remove this effect and redo it. you may loose a bit of the surrounding terrain as it will maybe stick, so you may have to do some touch up, but if you're careful, just the resin/water will come up. Then you just repour and voila, done.

When I pour mine I do it at about 1mm to 2mm thick at a time. The only 'effect' I've used to tint them with, since I'm usually doing swamp water, is shades or inks. Those are best imo. I haven't tried actually translucent paint, myself.

When you mix the shade/ink in, do so in a figure 8 pattern, rather than the traditional clockwise/anti-clockwise motion, it makes for a lot less bubbles.

Hope this helps!
Dez: "PAINT FOR THE PAINT GODS, SPRUES FOR THE SPRUE THRONE!!"
Guildy's WIP thread (mostly Skaven)
Guildy's weeklypaint thread! (everything mostly not Skaven!)

Farseer Oz
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by Farseer Oz » Wed Apr 06, 2016 1:01 am

Oh man this is so good, as mentioned looks like it is the one that is on the front of the box.

Love the base and the water, would love to raise my bar to get up to that kind of level.

Cannot wait to see more.
Eldar Biel-Tan 18,740 pts - 8,069 pts painted
Chaos Daemons 2,600 pts - 840 pts painted

Brookgrim
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Post by Brookgrim » Tue May 03, 2016 3:41 pm

Guildenstern wrote: yeah it was likely the paint, then. I've had this happen also when I pour layers too thick and don't let them cure well enough before doing another. If it's cloudy because of the layers, it will usually eventually cure but it can take quite a while, like days or even longer. If it's the paint, meh you're out of luck.

Sorta.

You *can* carefully remove this effect and redo it. you may loose a bit of the surrounding terrain as it will maybe stick, so you may have to do some touch up, but if you're careful, just the resin/water will come up. Then you just repour and voila, done.

When I pour mine I do it at about 1mm to 2mm thick at a time. The only 'effect' I've used to tint them with, since I'm usually doing swamp water, is shades or inks. Those are best imo. I haven't tried actually translucent paint, myself.

When you mix the shade/ink in, do so in a figure 8 pattern, rather than the traditional clockwise/anti-clockwise motion, it makes for a lot less bubbles.

Hope this helps!
Thanks for the tips! I will definitely use inks next time and I might redo this base if I can muster the will to do so.

The Lynx is now finished, I'm pretty happy with how it came out. First attempt at OSL for the weapon and a heat effect on the engine tips. Let me know what you think!

Guildenstern
Lost in the MiniWarGaming world...
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildWon 3 monthly Terrain Group BuildsHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by Guildenstern » Tue May 03, 2016 7:16 pm

Maaaan... so perfect! so beautiful! love your work, excellent OSL, looks spot on imo
Dez: "PAINT FOR THE PAINT GODS, SPRUES FOR THE SPRUE THRONE!!"
Guildy's WIP thread (mostly Skaven)
Guildy's weeklypaint thread! (everything mostly not Skaven!)

Munin
Bronze Vault Member
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting Pledges

Post by Munin » Tue May 03, 2016 10:24 pm

Very nice! I particularly like the NMM on the engine intakes.

Lady_Soria
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts

Post by Lady_Soria » Wed May 04, 2016 8:15 am

-picks jaw off of floor- wow that is impressive.
Everybody wrestles with an inner beast. Mine just has fangs and claws. - Raven Skylander.

Wanna reading my writings? http://lady-soria24.livejournal.com/ ( WARNING some swearing in some stories.)

Return to “#theweeklypaint 2016”