Aegis' (Leland's) Weekly Paint 2016

The goal of #theweeklypaint is simple - to develop our skills and paint our armies by making an effort to paint something every week. Anyone is welcome to fire up a thread and join in!
Aegis
Gold Vault Member

Re: Aegis' (Leland's) Weekly Paint 2016

Post by Aegis » Tue Apr 26, 2016 11:33 am

LordMcAllister wrote:Are you planning on leaving the bases simply in black as they'll be fighting on many different undergrounds or will you settle for a theme?
I would like to put them onto a clear base, or something more detailed, but to be honest, I am unsure if I will get around to it. If anything, I lean more towards the clear acrylic discs for my board games, as it shows the tiles well underneath.
Former MWG Leland, now just regular, old Leland. Now with more grump!

To see what I am working on, check out my Facebook page at its new address Aegisbrand Studios or just search for Leland Martel

Guildenstern
Lost in the MiniWarGaming world...
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildWon 3 monthly Terrain Group BuildsHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by Guildenstern » Tue Apr 26, 2016 2:11 pm

Aegis wrote:
LordMcAllister wrote:Are you planning on leaving the bases simply in black as they'll be fighting on many different undergrounds or will you settle for a theme?
I would like to put them onto a clear base, or something more detailed, but to be honest, I am unsure if I will get around to it. If anything, I lean more towards the clear acrylic discs for my board games, as it shows the tiles well underneath.
This is what I use: http://www.litko.net/products/Clear-Min ... x-urkcwCGY

These things ROCK! maybe not the right size for you, but I love them for my RPG games, I'm converting all our minis now to them. They are cheap, thick enough to keep the minis upright and like you say, clear enough to see through to the tiles. They have squares and a lot of others too if you don't want circular.
Dez: "PAINT FOR THE PAINT GODS, SPRUES FOR THE SPRUE THRONE!!"
Guildy's WIP thread (mostly Skaven)
Guildy's weeklypaint thread! (everything mostly not Skaven!)

Aegis
Gold Vault Member

Post by Aegis » Tue Apr 26, 2016 2:55 pm

Guildenstern wrote:This is what I use: http://www.litko.net/products/Clear-Min ... x-urkcwCGY

These things ROCK! maybe not the right size for you, but I love them for my RPG games, I'm converting all our minis now to them. They are cheap, thick enough to keep the minis upright and like you say, clear enough to see through to the tiles. They have squares and a lot of others too if you don't want circular.
I as looking at these ones myself. For board games, they are the perfect size, since more games work on tiles or squares and the like. It is likely that is the route I will go.

To see what I am working on, check out my Facebook page at its new address Aegisbrand Studios or just search for Leland Martel

LordMcAllister
Silver Vault Member
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by LordMcAllister » Wed Apr 27, 2016 1:55 am

So you're simply going to cut away the normal base and apply the minis to these clear ones? That's quite a cool idea! Do you have any experience in using these bases? I heard clear parts might get a kind of ,,frosted" look once you apply glue to them? Is there a way to prevent this or some glue that won't harm the surface of the base?
Painted in 2018:
AdMech: 2 Vanguard
Marines: 1 Rhino, 6 Primaris Intercessor, 1 Captain in gravis armour, 1 Scribbus Wretch
Shadespire: 4 Sepulchral Guard

Aegis
Gold Vault Member

Post by Aegis » Wed Apr 27, 2016 11:25 am

The frosting is a concern. I have seen the process done cleanly, though, so I know it can be done. I will just need to do some digging into how people go about gluing and attaching the model. Off the top of my head, I am wondering if pinning it, and apply a bit of glue to the pin so any frosting occurs in an area that is not readily visible...

LordMcAllister
Silver Vault Member
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by LordMcAllister » Thu Apr 28, 2016 3:36 am

Funny coincidence: I watched a Games Workshop Video yesterday about painting a Stormfang. There they stated, that one should use a little bit of PVA for gluing the clear parts into place in order to prevent said frosting. That might be worth a try?
Painted in 2018:
AdMech: 2 Vanguard
Marines: 1 Rhino, 6 Primaris Intercessor, 1 Captain in gravis armour, 1 Scribbus Wretch
Shadespire: 4 Sepulchral Guard

Aegis
Gold Vault Member

Post by Aegis » Thu Apr 28, 2016 10:12 pm

LordMcAllister wrote:Funny coincidence: I watched a Games Workshop Video yesterday about painting a Stormfang. There they stated, that one should use a little bit of PVA for gluing the clear parts into place in order to prevent said frosting. That might be worth a try?
I like the idea. I am just wondering if the PVA glue would be enough to mount the models... Worth a try, at the very least.

Guildenstern
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildWon 3 monthly Terrain Group BuildsHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by Guildenstern » Thu Apr 28, 2016 10:18 pm

hmm I just used Testor's canopy glue (or whatever it's called) - the stuff for adhering model airplane canopies to the cockpit

Seemed to work fine (at least nothing's come off yet)

Aegis
Gold Vault Member

Post by Aegis » Fri Apr 29, 2016 12:40 am

Guildenstern wrote:hmm I just used Testor's canopy glue (or whatever it's called) - the stuff for adhering model airplane canopies to the cockpit

Seemed to work fine (at least nothing's come off yet)
So noted. I will have to find some of that and give it a go.

Munin
Bronze Vault Member
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting Pledges

Post by Munin » Tue May 03, 2016 1:03 am

For the frosting associated with cyano-acrylate glue, if you use accelerator it avoids the problem completely. It does yield a more brittle bond, but for affixing to a base that might be OK.

Aegis
Gold Vault Member

Post by Aegis » Tue May 03, 2016 12:38 pm

Munin wrote:For the frosting associated with cyano-acrylate glue, if you use accelerator it avoids the problem completely. It does yield a more brittle bond, but for affixing to a base that might be OK.
I did not know that the accelerator did that. Interesting. I did know about the more brittle bond though. I try not to use it on anything I am not pinning.

Aegis
Gold Vault Member

Post by Aegis » Wed May 04, 2016 12:46 am

I know it sounds like old hat, and is something most have likely heard at one time or another, but this post is to give an example of just how important it is to keep your brushes clean, and your paint thin. Before looking at the two images, I will note that the primer on both could have been shaken up a bit more than I had, and has resulted in a slightly grainy texture.

In this first image, you can see the brush strokes fairly clearly, regardless of the layers and sealer on it. This particular model, I was using an old brush that needed replacing. The condition was somewhat rough, and was missing some bristles. In addition, I had been using the same batch of paint for a minute or two too long, and it was starting to dry and thicken. As a result, the coats were not being applied evenly, giving a less satisfactory coat of colour. In this case, the sealer has helped hide that somewhat, but when inspected, it can be seen.

In this image, you can see that the colour is more evenly applied, giving a much nicer appearance. In this case, the paint was a much fresher batch, and adequately thinned. It required a couple thin layers, but produces a much better result. In addition, I had a new brush while painting this model. The better condition of the brush meant the tip stayed intact, without splaying out, meaning the application was of a solid coat.

So, there you have it. Make sure you keep your tools in good condition, and do not let your paint sit for too long. It will help in the long run, and you will see results fairly quickly.

Guildenstern

Post by Guildenstern » Thu May 05, 2016 12:09 am

ugh

I guess I need new eyes, I can't see the difference :(

Nappen
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildWon 3 monthly Terrain Group BuildsMASTER BUILDER! Won 5 monthly Terrain Group Builds!Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 10 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 15 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 20 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Took part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' EntryWon the second 'King of the Hill' challengesWon the third 'King of the Hill' challengesAwarded the Awesome Medal of Awesomeness!

Post by Nappen » Thu May 05, 2016 12:40 am

It will be heresey, but I kind of like the color variation you got in image one on the cream color on the shoulder pad and the skin tone.