Aegis' (Leland's) Weekly Paint 2016

The goal of #theweeklypaint is simple - to develop our skills and paint our armies by making an effort to paint something every week. Anyone is welcome to fire up a thread and join in!
Guildenstern
Lost in the MiniWarGaming world...
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildWon 3 monthly Terrain Group BuildsHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Re: Aegis' (Leland's) Weekly Paint 2016

Post by Guildenstern » Thu Apr 07, 2016 7:24 am

hood!

it just flows better into his cloaky thing imo
Dez: "PAINT FOR THE PAINT GODS, SPRUES FOR THE SPRUE THRONE!!"
Guildy's WIP thread (mostly Skaven)
Guildy's weeklypaint thread! (everything mostly not Skaven!)

Aegis
Gold Vault Member

Post by Aegis » Thu Apr 07, 2016 9:35 am

@General Kroll: The irony in your statement of not want him to look too much like Solomon Lok is that, that is the model I used for Croyle during the campaign. This was, of course, before I went kitbashing each unique character for the campaigns I was a part of. This version is meant to represent him later in his career. So, yeah, that is one reason I am trying to avoid the hood. A bit too much like the original, non-original incarnation of him.

@Arnathos: I saw your suggestion of the rebreather. I have a couple laying around, so at the very least I am going to give a go and see how well it works. My only concern is that fantasy heads are a tad smaller than 40k heads, and the rebreather may be a bit too big as a result.

@Guildenstern: I am still thinking that is the route I will need to go. Though, there are a couple things I am still looking to try with the bearded head to see if it works. Removing some of the blue tac and bringing it closer to the body has helped the look of the size of the head.
Former MWG Leland, now just regular, old Leland. Now with more grump!

To see what I am working on, check out my Facebook page at its new address Aegisbrand Studios or just search for Leland Martel

Koonitz
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting Pledges

Post by Koonitz » Thu Apr 07, 2016 11:10 am

Arnathos wrote:I mentioned this on facebook but it might have gotten lost in the comments, but if you want to go with the elf head, get some rebreathers from the Imperial Guard Cadian Command Squad kit, just cut the tubes that connect to the chest piece and you can quickly make anything seem more GrimDark. You might be able to keep the tube attached and heat it a bit so you have the Darth Vader device on the chest, but it can be a bit fiddly!
I made a full veteran squad with grav chutes (cut down Marine power backpacks) using those. The rebreathers fit great on Cadian helmetted heads. I then filled the eyes in with green stuff, smoothed to make visors, giving a fully enclosed helmet look.

Despite retiring my Guard, they aren't going anywhere, as they're a rather beloved squad.
Armies:
40k: Knights Cynosure Iron Hands successor chapter, House Terryn Questor Imperialis, Thousand Sons/Tzeentch Daemons
30k: Thousand Sons
Age of Sigmar: Sylvaneth, Disciples of Tzeentch

Dez
Spends far too much time here...
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Took part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Dez » Thu Apr 07, 2016 1:21 pm

I love the wood elf head, it doesn't need the rebreather...but would make it even cooler I'm sure.
PAINT FOR THE PAINT GODS, SPRUES FOR THE SPRUE THRONE!!!

Aegis
Gold Vault Member

Post by Aegis » Mon Apr 18, 2016 8:29 pm

So, I have been working on my Inquisitor in the shadows, but not quite ready to show him off yet.

In the meantime, I present to the fine folks here some Heresy Era Imperial Fists!

I have been working on this commission for a little bit now (longer than I would have liked). I hit a bit of a snag early on with some issues with airbrush paints and my black, though my agitators got that sorted out. Following this project, I definitely feel like I have a good grasp on painting yellow, and that will translate into a couple things, I am sure. In the meantime, it is kind of a shame that I now need to pack it up and ship it out to its new home.

Anyway, poor picture to start with (sorry!), but better ones will follow!

Usual caveats: Come check out my facebook page (link in the signature), give it a like and join in the discussions!

To see what I am working on, check out my Facebook page at its new address Aegisbrand Studios or just search for Leland Martel

Nappen
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildWon 3 monthly Terrain Group BuildsMASTER BUILDER! Won 5 monthly Terrain Group Builds!Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 10 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 15 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 20 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Took part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' EntryWon the second 'King of the Hill' challengesWon the third 'King of the Hill' challengesAwarded the Awesome Medal of Awesomeness!

Post by Nappen » Tue Apr 19, 2016 12:44 am

look great (insert comment about yellow here).

Maybe you should do a how to paint yellow tutorial.

Need to see you play a game back at MWG. You ever play with any of the other former MWG guys that are still in the area?

Aegis
Gold Vault Member

Post by Aegis » Tue Apr 19, 2016 11:00 am

@Nappen: Once I find an adequate way to film, I fully plan on doing a quick tutorial!

As for gaming with MWG, I am still in the area. I just not had the time during the day to go over. Though, from the lack of Ad Mech I have been seeing and hearing about, it may be worth it for me to wander over and remind them what they can do.

Arnathos
MiniWarGaming Grand Marshall
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Won a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Arnathos » Tue Apr 19, 2016 11:13 am

Aegis wrote: Though, from the lack of Ad Mech I have been seeing and hearing about, it may be worth it for me to wander over and remind them what they can do.
Fold at the first sign of opposition? :wink:
Time will tell... Sooner or later... Time will tell.
WH40k:
IG 5000pts[95% Painted]
Word Bearers 10000pts[89% Painted]
WHFB:
Empire 5000pts[95% Painted]

FYI, I'm Dutch, not Finnish, I just live there.

Aegis
Gold Vault Member

Post by Aegis » Tue Apr 19, 2016 11:26 am

Arnathos wrote:
Aegis wrote: Though, from the lack of Ad Mech I have been seeing and hearing about, it may be worth it for me to wander over and remind them what they can do.
Fold at the first sign of opposition? :wink:
Only when I play them, Arnathos! 8)

Guildenstern
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildWon 3 monthly Terrain Group BuildsHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by Guildenstern » Tue Apr 19, 2016 3:17 pm

hey Aegis any chance on a mini tutorial on how you did those godawful rivets?? I'm really not liking how mine are coming out :(

Aegis
Gold Vault Member

Post by Aegis » Tue Apr 19, 2016 3:39 pm

Guildenstern wrote:hey Aegis any chance on a mini tutorial on how you did those godawful rivets?? I'm really not liking how mine are coming out :(
To be honest, not much too it. I made sure my detail brush had a good point on it, and my leadbelcher was thinned nicely. At that point, it was just a matter of going rivet by rivet. Took more patience than skill, I think.

Guildenstern

Post by Guildenstern » Tue Apr 19, 2016 9:20 pm

ah well thanks :) not like I won't get tons of practice... lol

Aegis
Gold Vault Member

Post by Aegis » Mon Apr 25, 2016 5:34 pm

Not much work done of late, sadly, on account of life. Still working on getting some more of the Star Wars Imperial Assault models painted up.

The front troopers are painted as members of Delta Squad, albeit in the traditional armour. The back ones are in various stages of completion.

Dez
Spends far too much time here...
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Took part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Dez » Mon Apr 25, 2016 6:30 pm

They look good, I really like that game.
PAINT FOR THE PAINT GODS, SPRUES FOR THE SPRUE THRONE!!!

LordMcAllister
Silver Vault Member
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by LordMcAllister » Tue Apr 26, 2016 8:00 am

Great work! I just recently played my first match and I really like the game! Will have to paint those one day... but I already have more than enough sitting on my shelf... -.-

Are you planning on leaving the bases simply in black as they'll be fighting on many different undergrounds or will you settle for a theme?
Painted in 2018:
AdMech: 2 Vanguard
Marines: 1 Rhino, 6 Primaris Intercessor, 1 Captain in gravis armour, 1 Scribbus Wretch
Shadespire: 4 Sepulchral Guard