Aegis' (Leland's) Weekly Paint 2016

The goal of #theweeklypaint is simple - to develop our skills and paint our armies by making an effort to paint something every week. Anyone is welcome to fire up a thread and join in!
Guildenstern
Lost in the MiniWarGaming world...
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildWon 3 monthly Terrain Group BuildsHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Re: Aegis' (Leland's) Weekly Paint 2016

Post by Guildenstern » Mon Apr 04, 2016 8:26 pm

sweet - would love a tutorial on how you do yellow, I really like your yellow
Dez: "PAINT FOR THE PAINT GODS, SPRUES FOR THE SPRUE THRONE!!"
Guildy's WIP thread (mostly Skaven)
Guildy's weeklypaint thread! (everything mostly not Skaven!)

Aegis
Gold Vault Member

Post by Aegis » Tue Apr 05, 2016 1:28 am

This Imperial Fist project is starting to give me nightmares. I made the mistake of entering into assembly line painting. I have hit the metal stud stage... And damn, does Heresy Era power armour have a metric tonne of studs to paint...

Former MWG Leland, now just regular, old Leland. Now with more grump!

To see what I am working on, check out my Facebook page at its new address Aegisbrand Studios or just search for Leland Martel

Guildenstern
Lost in the MiniWarGaming world...
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildWon 3 monthly Terrain Group BuildsHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by Guildenstern » Tue Apr 05, 2016 7:12 am

Oh man I hear ya, really nice looking tho!

I find mine don't always seem to stay 'dead on', the paint job. Probably too impatient.
Dez: "PAINT FOR THE PAINT GODS, SPRUES FOR THE SPRUE THRONE!!"
Guildy's WIP thread (mostly Skaven)
Guildy's weeklypaint thread! (everything mostly not Skaven!)

Dez
Spends far too much time here...
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Took part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Dez » Tue Apr 05, 2016 9:34 am

Yeah that's how I feel about Orks and all our rivets, but it's got to be done!

One of these days I'll post on CMON.
PAINT FOR THE PAINT GODS, SPRUES FOR THE SPRUE THRONE!!!

Koonitz
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting Pledges

Post by Koonitz » Tue Apr 05, 2016 10:19 am

Aegis wrote:I have hit the metal stud stage... And damn, does Heresy Era power armour have a metric tonne of studs to paint...
Rivets... Oh gods, the rivets. Why so many rivets? *curls up in a corner, holding one of his Cerastus Knights, counting all of the rivets as he weeps quietly*
Armies:
40k: Knights Cynosure Iron Hands successor chapter, House Terryn Questor Imperialis, Thousand Sons/Tzeentch Daemons
30k: Thousand Sons
Age of Sigmar: Sylvaneth, Disciples of Tzeentch

Aegis
Gold Vault Member

Post by Aegis » Tue Apr 05, 2016 4:11 pm

Wryce wrote:Had a similar experience when I was painting my Glotkin all the boils and just when I thought all was done I saw some that I had missed. :D

So I know your pain. :D

//Wryce
Oh that is one of the worst moments in painting! Thinking you have it all done, only to discover how much you have missed.

To see what I am working on, check out my Facebook page at its new address Aegisbrand Studios or just search for Leland Martel

Aegis
Gold Vault Member

Post by Aegis » Wed Apr 06, 2016 3:48 pm

So, taking a break from Marines again (so many marines...), I am working on this fellow (the base I posted earlier is his).

I am trying to figure out which head to use for the model. I like the marine head, but not sure if it works with the model. The wood elf head, though, I think works better with the model, but it is not as grim as the marine head. Thoughts?

Koonitz
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting Pledges

Post by Koonitz » Wed Apr 06, 2016 6:58 pm

Personally, in terms of elves, I find the Marine head to be out-of-place. It's not as slender, long, sharp and pointed (specifically in the ears, though I suspect you can use green stuff to alter that). The other thing is that I've never known an elf trope to be allowed to grow facial hair. I also cannot recall ever seeing an Eldar (of any variety) displayed with facial hair, so it will look like a human in Eldar clothing, no matter what you do.

The wood elf I think is absolutely perfect. "Not grim enough" is easily explained away by being completely covered in cloth. You can use whatever you deem fit to explain why, but my initial thoughts are that he's so battle scarred (or scarred from whatever other reasoning), that he chose to mask his face, allowing only his eyes to be visible to gaze into his foe's mind. If you can represent in paint a pair of sunken eyes, it'd drive the feeling of a weathered and battered traveler even further.
Armies:
40k: Knights Cynosure Iron Hands successor chapter, House Terryn Questor Imperialis, Thousand Sons/Tzeentch Daemons

Farseer Oz
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by Farseer Oz » Wed Apr 06, 2016 9:14 pm

I'm wondering if there are any Dark Elf or Dark Eldar heads that would suit and make the model look more grim dark.
Eldar Biel-Tan 18,740 pts - 8,069 pts painted
Chaos Daemons 2,600 pts - 840 pts painted

Aegis
Gold Vault Member

Post by Aegis » Wed Apr 06, 2016 9:25 pm

In all fairness, this is not being done to represent an elf/eldar ;)

I am simply using the Farseer body for it's more slender nature, to show something more akin to human, rather than marine. This is actually an Inquisitor I am working for an INQ28 retinue. One with a particular interest in Tyranids.

Koonitz

Post by Koonitz » Wed Apr 06, 2016 10:55 pm

Aegis wrote:In all fairness, this is not being done to represent an elf/eldar ;)

I am simply using the Farseer body for it's more slender nature, to show something more akin to human, rather than marine. This is actually an Inquisitor I am working for an INQ28 retinue. One with a particular interest in Tyranids.
Then, absolutely, the bearded 'Librarian' head.
Armies:

Arnathos
MiniWarGaming Grand Marshall
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Won a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Arnathos » Thu Apr 07, 2016 7:23 am

I mentioned this on facebook but it might have gotten lost in the comments, but if you want to go with the elf head, get some rebreathers from the Imperial Guard Cadian Command Squad kit, just cut the tubes that connect to the chest piece and you can quickly make anything seem more GrimDark. You might be able to keep the tube attached and heat it a bit so you have the Darth Vader device on the chest, but it can be a bit fiddly!

Here is the bit I'm talking about:
[+] Expand
You should be able to find some if you have any guard players around, hardly anyone seems to use them.

For the record though, I love bearded dudes, the rebreather in action as well as a bearded inquisitor can be found here.
Last edited by Arnathos on Thu Apr 07, 2016 7:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Time will tell... Sooner or later... Time will tell.
WH40k:
IG 5000pts[95% Painted]
Word Bearers 10000pts[89% Painted]
WHFB:
Empire 5000pts[95% Painted]

FYI, I'm Dutch, not Finnish, I just live there.

Return to “#theweeklypaint 2016”