Aegis' (Leland's) Weekly Paint 2016

The goal of #theweeklypaint is simple - to develop our skills and paint our armies by making an effort to paint something every week. Anyone is welcome to fire up a thread and join in!
Aegis
Gold Vault Member

Aegis' (Leland's) Weekly Paint 2016

Post by Aegis » Sat Mar 05, 2016 7:34 pm

Hey folks, just moving my thread over to the Weekly paint. It seems to get a bit more activity, and the threads not bumped as easily as the general forum thread. So, here I am!

Going to start this new thread off with the latest addition to my collection, and something that will make its way into my Infinity rotation eventually.

I give you, Solid Snake!

I also happen to have a Grey Fox (cybernetic ninja from Metal Gear Solid) that I want to get painted up to use an Oniwaban. Hopefully I can tackle that soon!

As always, you can see this, and more, on my Facebook Page!
Former MWG Leland, now just regular, old Leland. Now with more grump!

To see what I am working on, check out my Facebook page at its new address Aegisbrand Studios or just search for Leland Martel

TheArmorOfContempt
Silver Vault Member
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting Pledges

Re: Aegis' (Leland's) Weekly Paint 2016

Post by TheArmorOfContempt » Sat Mar 05, 2016 7:55 pm

Closest I have experience with would be an imperial assassin because body gloves. The face looks pretty good from this angle, which is usually what gives me the most trouble. Have you thought about maybe a thin edge grey highlight on the gun to make it stick out more?

Aegis
Gold Vault Member

Post by Aegis » Sat Mar 05, 2016 8:11 pm

TheArmorOfContempt wrote:Closest I have experience with would be an imperial assassin because body gloves. The face looks pretty good from this angle, which is usually what gives me the most trouble. Have you thought about maybe a thin edge grey highlight on the gun to make it stick out more?
I should have added that I still have some light details to do. Things like highlighting the hair, the gun and the base.

I will likely use a light grey on the gun, trying to make it look a bit more matte than shiny.

To see what I am working on, check out my Facebook page at its new address Aegisbrand Studios or just search for Leland Martel

Aegis
Gold Vault Member

Post by Aegis » Mon Mar 07, 2016 9:15 pm

Another week, another model. This time I have my Lizardman Totem Warrior for my Mordheim warband.

As always, more at my Facebook page

Aegis
Gold Vault Member

Post by Aegis » Fri Mar 11, 2016 12:01 pm

A bit of work on a commission I have been working on. For whatever reason, I hit a bit of a slump early on, but it all seems to be coming along nicely at this point.

One thing I will say, though, is since I have started using mediums to thin and slow down drying, it has become a bit easier. Just wish I had a medium that did both at once...

Dez
Spends far too much time here...
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Took part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Dez » Fri Mar 11, 2016 2:29 pm

Nice yellow!
PAINT FOR THE PAINT GODS, SPRUES FOR THE SPRUE THRONE!!!

Aegis
Gold Vault Member

Post by Aegis » Fri Mar 11, 2016 2:39 pm

Thanks Dez!

I will admit, this commission is kind of crushing my desire to paint my own Imperial Fist force at this point. Yellow is breaking me... :(

Dez
Spends far too much time here...
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Took part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Dez » Fri Mar 11, 2016 2:46 pm

Maybe I'm a weirdo, but I like painting yellow. I play Bad Moonz Orks :) I remember how many layers of yellow it took before the invention of Iyanden Darksun...which isn't even a thing anymore!
PAINT FOR THE PAINT GODS, SPRUES FOR THE SPRUE THRONE!!!

Guildenstern
Lost in the MiniWarGaming world...
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildWon 3 monthly Terrain Group BuildsHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by Guildenstern » Fri Mar 11, 2016 11:30 pm

well, they're beautiful!
Dez: "PAINT FOR THE PAINT GODS, SPRUES FOR THE SPRUE THRONE!!"
Guildy's WIP thread (mostly Skaven)
Guildy's weeklypaint thread! (everything mostly not Skaven!)

Nappen
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildWon 3 monthly Terrain Group BuildsMASTER BUILDER! Won 5 monthly Terrain Group Builds!Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 10 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 15 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 20 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Took part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' EntryWon the second 'King of the Hill' challengesWon the third 'King of the Hill' challengesAwarded the Awesome Medal of Awesomeness!

Post by Nappen » Sat Mar 12, 2016 2:17 am

Nice!, I cannot get a good yellow to save my life.

Farseer Oz
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by Farseer Oz » Sun Mar 20, 2016 9:40 pm

Great job, I agree yellow and white are the worse colours to paint.

I would never go Imperial Fists because of that reason, but when I see a well paint Imperial Fists armour I have a lot of respect.
Eldar Biel-Tan 18,740 pts - 8,069 pts painted
Chaos Daemons 2,600 pts - 840 pts painted

Aegis
Gold Vault Member

Post by Aegis » Mon Mar 21, 2016 1:01 pm

Thanks for the compliments on the Fists. As difficult as it is to paint them, it is very satisfying.

@Farseer Oz: Something that really helped me with white is to stop trying to paint "true" white. What I mean by this is that pure white, or true white, is best used as the final highlight. This can be be as an extreme edge highlight, glaze or drybrush. What I recommend would be to work from grey up. I, personally, like using Celestia Grey to Ulthaun Grey to white.

Anyway, I have been sick as a dog, so my painting has definitely fallen behind. Feeling good enough today, I am going to try and do some more Fists.

Aegis
Gold Vault Member

Post by Aegis » Wed Mar 23, 2016 12:36 pm

I finally got around to adding some glass bead agitator's to my minitaire paints. This is something I should have done as soon as I bought them, but I had put it off. I had suspected for sometime that some of my issues with the paints were due to everything not getting mixed well enough without the agitator, and those suspicions were immediately confirmed.

If you have an airbrush, and have not done so, I highly recommend adding the agitator's!