LordMcAllister's Weekly Paint 2016

The goal of #theweeklypaint is simple - to develop our skills and paint our armies by making an effort to paint something every week. Anyone is welcome to fire up a thread and join in!
LordMcAllister
Silver Vault Member
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Re: LordMcAllister's Weekly Paint 2016

Post by LordMcAllister » Sun May 22, 2016 7:10 am

Haven't had much time for painting this weekend. Even though I managed to get a nice black basecoat on my probe droids. After drybrushing them with leadbelcher I can nearly call them done. I'm really pleased with the look and it really didn't take much time. Only the lenses and the bases are left to do!

Painted in 2018:
AdMech: 2 Vanguard
Marines: 1 Rhino, 6 Primaris Intercessor, 1 Captain in gravis armour, 1 Scribbus Wretch
Shadespire: 4 Sepulchral Guard

Dez
Spends far too much time here...
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Took part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Dez » Mon May 23, 2016 11:30 am

Looking good! I'll have to paint some of these for my friend.
PAINT FOR THE PAINT GODS, SPRUES FOR THE SPRUE THRONE!!!

LordMcAllister
Silver Vault Member
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by LordMcAllister » Tue Aug 16, 2016 9:55 am

Hey guys! I finished the first hero from the imperial assault game! Hope you like it!

Jyn Odan

Painted in 2018:
Marines: 1 Rhino, 6 Primaris Intercessor, 1 Captain in gravis armour, 1 Scribbus Wretch

Cherubael
MiniWarGaming Veteran
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting Pledges

Post by Cherubael » Tue Aug 16, 2016 7:48 pm

Really nice work, LM

I particularly like the pose of the model. It gives a really nice feel of action.

Munin
Bronze Vault Member
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting Pledges

Post by Munin » Wed Aug 17, 2016 1:01 am

Ooooh, nice! my only quibble would be that you might want to black-line the eyes first - it will give them better contrast against the rest of the face. But you color scheme is fantastic and I lovelovelove the orange on the jacket.

How does Imperial Assault play? I know nothing about the game itself.

LordMcAllister
Silver Vault Member

Post by LordMcAllister » Mon Sep 05, 2016 2:58 am

Thanks Cherubael!
Munin wrote:Ooooh, nice! my only quibble would be that you might want to black-line the eyes first - it will give them better contrast against the rest of the face. But you color scheme is fantastic and I lovelovelove the orange on the jacket.

How does Imperial Assault play? I know nothing about the game itself.
I like the eyes the way they currently are! The only thing I forgot (again -.-) are the eyebrows, which I'll eventually have to add.
I'm quite pleased with the orange as well. I'm glad I went with a pastel like colour. At first I wanted to mix orange with yellow, but I think it would have been to bright a highlight. I finally went with a mix of orange and bleached bone. Could have needed an additional highlight though... perhaps a nother drop of bleached bone into the mix, just for the highest parts.

Getting back to your question: It plays great! You play single missions in a campaign style. The Imperial and the Rebel Players gain Experience and Items due to winning missions and whoever wins the last mission wins the campaign. During a mission events are being triggered (like a door closing shut, when the rebels move into a certain room for the first time, trapping the rebels or even seperating them from each other, until they blast it open), which are keeping the game surprising for the rebel players.
I believe the game is great to introduce Board Gamers to Roleplaying/Table Top gaming. And the minis are nice to paint, too!
For me it was also important, that the minis don't need assembling. As I tend to paint minis first before assembling, I was able to play the game before even thinking about painting them! :D
Painted in 2018:

LordMcAllister
Silver Vault Member

Post by LordMcAllister » Thu Sep 22, 2016 3:24 pm

Some more progress on my Imperial Assault minis! Finished the royal guard! The emperor is protected... Or was it the other was around?

Painted in 2018:

Munin
Bronze Vault Member
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting Pledges

Post by Munin » Mon Sep 26, 2016 5:03 pm

Ooooh, I really like these guys. I especially like how the capes are matte but the helmets are gloss, that's a really nice effect and very true to the movies!

LordMcAllister
Silver Vault Member

Post by LordMcAllister » Tue Sep 27, 2016 1:40 am

Thanks Munin and Viking! Have to admit that I tried to stay close to a youtube tutorial by a guy called "Sorastro". He has very nice tutorials of how to paint the imperial assault minis. Some times I stick to them and some times I make up my own ideas.. or mix them together.

I did complete my painting pledge and finished three more stormtroopers. As they do all look the same, I won't post any pictures of them. Like the royal guard I gave them a glossy varnish over the matt one (except for the weapon and the black joints of the armour) in order to make them look like in the movies.

I finished up another one of the rebel minis, Mak Eshka'rey. I'm quite pleased with the outcome.

Painted in 2018:

LordMcAllister
Silver Vault Member

Post by LordMcAllister » Tue Oct 04, 2016 3:01 am

General-Kroll wrote:He's looking great :D

I can imagine Imperial Assault would take off like a house on fire at our club, but I think 40k and Sigmar are just about kindling again so I think I will hold off getting into it for now lol
Thanks Kroll! I can highly recommend the game but can understand your concern. :D Nonetheless I don't think this game poses a threat to AoS or W40k, as it's less a tabletop and more a simple boardgame.

On another topic: I finished the first of the imperial officers (except for the base). This one is going to be the elite one. I'm going to have the elite officer wear black uniform and the regular ones wear grey uniform.

I have to admit, that I'm quite happy with the outcome of the black uniform. I always had my issues with painting black clothing but this time I'm pretty pleased. I had to remind myself over and over to keep the highlights subtle and not to overdo it. The boots, belt and gloves will get a layer of glossy ardcoat after the mini is being varnished.
Painted in 2018:

LordMcAllister
Silver Vault Member

Post by LordMcAllister » Wed Dec 07, 2016 4:08 pm

Another Imperial Assault rebel finished!
[+] Expand
[+] Expand
[+] Expand
Dang it, anotherdistraction from my Space Wolves! But they were a pleasure to assemble, next to no moldlines! Only pressing together the spikey parts was kind of painful! XD
Hoping for the Blood Bowl game for christmas to get those in action! ;D
[+] Expand
Painted in 2018: