LordMcAllister's Weekly Paint 2016

The goal of #theweeklypaint is simple - to develop our skills and paint our armies by making an effort to paint something every week. Anyone is welcome to fire up a thread and join in!
LordMcAllister
Silver Vault Member
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

LordMcAllister's Weekly Paint 2016

Post by LordMcAllister » Fri Feb 12, 2016 5:40 am

Well, it took me some time, but here it is, my Weekly Paint 2016!

I actually wanted to refrain from posting pictures of my female Fusilier which I finished about the end of november I guess. It was meant as a deathmatch mini between Khankore and me, but as I haven't seen him around for about two months and deathmatches don't seem to be supported anymore (hope they'll make a comeback, though, as well as Mike) I decided to post them now:
[+] Expand
[+] Expand
[+] Expand
As you might notice I tried a different painting style than I normally use. Unfortunatly I messed up her armour on the bellypart... didn't thin down the paint enough (got a bit impatient, which seems to be not a very good thing while painting layers). I decided this to be the style of my Infinity PanO minis. What do you think?
Painted in 2018:
AdMech: 2 Vanguard
Marines: 1 Rhino, 6 Primaris Intercessor, 1 Captain in gravis armour, 1 Scribbus Wretch
Shadespire: 4 Sepulchral Guard

Guildenstern
Lost in the MiniWarGaming world...
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildWon 3 monthly Terrain Group BuildsHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Re: LordMcAllister's Weekly Paint 2016

Post by Guildenstern » Fri Feb 12, 2016 3:52 pm

I like it! I also like how she looks more badass and less "ooh I'm a girl!" like I keep seeing in a lot of minis. I like the colour scheme a lot too, it works. The freehand pockets on her pants - great idea ^_^ I don't know infinity (trying not to get into another mini thing!) but if the PanO is anything like related to Ocean or Pacific, which is my first impression on reading that designation, I definitely think this is a colour scheme you should stick with :)
Dez: "PAINT FOR THE PAINT GODS, SPRUES FOR THE SPRUE THRONE!!"
Guildy's WIP thread (mostly Skaven)
Guildy's weeklypaint thread! (everything mostly not Skaven!)

Farseer Oz
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by Farseer Oz » Sun Feb 14, 2016 11:52 pm

Great job on this miniature mate. Really like your highlights on the blue armour, I think you pulled it off nicely.

One piece of feedback, I just think your grey highlight on the black gun is a bit too thick. Black is very hard to highlight and if you do grey I prefer it to be subtle so doing it thinner will provide that highlight but not by to much.
Eldar Biel-Tan 18,740 pts - 8,069 pts painted
Chaos Daemons 2,600 pts - 840 pts painted

LordMcAllister
Silver Vault Member
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by LordMcAllister » Tue Feb 16, 2016 2:50 am

Farseer Oz wrote:Great job on this miniature mate. Really like your highlights on the blue armour, I think you pulled it off nicely.
Thanks! :)
Farseer Oz wrote: One piece of feedback, I just think your grey highlight on the black gun is a bit too thick. Black is very hard to highlight and if you do grey I prefer it to be subtle so doing it thinner will provide that highlight but not by to much.
Yeah, I feel the same. It came out a bit too thick. I'll try to keep it a bit more subtle with the next minis, but it's difficult to find the right amount between working on table top level/view and working on close up view without perfectly fading the colours into one another.
Guildenstern wrote:I like it! I also like how she looks more badass and less "ooh I'm a girl!" like I keep seeing in a lot of minis. I like the colour scheme a lot too, it works. The freehand pockets on her pants - great idea ^_^ I don't know infinity (trying not to get into another mini thing!) but if the PanO is anything like related to Ocean or Pacific, which is my first impression on reading that designation, I definitely think this is a colour scheme you should stick with :)
Thanks! Though the colour scheme is quite standard. I copied a lot from the pictures on the box. The pockets on the pants are actually modelled, I just outlined them... and even that quite poorly. These minis do have very fine details, it's really amazing, especially as they are all metal.
Painted in 2018:
Marines: 1 Rhino, 6 Primaris Intercessor, 1 Captain in gravis armour, 1 Scribbus Wretch

Dez
Spends far too much time here...
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Took part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Dez » Thu Feb 25, 2016 11:26 am

I'm thinking that the Deathmatch needs a comeback too, I find them very inspirational. I'm aiming to start them in March.

Beautiful work as usual!
PAINT FOR THE PAINT GODS, SPRUES FOR THE SPRUE THRONE!!!

Munin
Bronze Vault Member
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting Pledges

Post by Munin » Thu Feb 25, 2016 2:22 pm

Really nice job. I look forward to seeing the rest of your IceStorm minis!

LordMcAllister
Silver Vault Member

Post by LordMcAllister » Thu Mar 03, 2016 5:10 am

Thanks Dez & Munin! :)

I finally finished all 15 cultists!

Painted in 2018:

LordMcAllister
Silver Vault Member

Post by LordMcAllister » Fri Mar 04, 2016 4:29 am

@Jarrin: Thank you!

@Viking21: Thank you as well! You asked what I might be painting next... well, the following projects are currently sitting on my painting table in different states:

- 2 male PanO Fusiliers (nearly finished)
- 3 Space Wolves Thunderwolf Cavalry (main parts are finished, arms, shoulder pads and bases still to finish)
- 7 Blood Claws (Bodys and feet are finished, rest needs still to be cut out of the sprue and painted)
- 1 Calidus Assassin (from the Execution Force game, basecoated)
- 3 Chaos Space Marines (from the Execution Force game, basecoated)

So many unfinished projects and still more things boxed in my shelve. After looking for my Thunderwolf Cavalrys Frost Axe for 30 Minutes I decided to spent most on my time on them next before I finally loose some of the parts. Well, that's the plan at least... though I know myself and I believe I'll keep on jumping between projects to stay motivated! ;)
Painted in 2018:

LordMcAllister
Silver Vault Member

Post by LordMcAllister » Wed Apr 27, 2016 3:11 am

I'm actually working on a drop pod I started painting over a year ago! It's in dire need of finally being finished... but after looking at Aegis/Lelands Storm Trooper from the Imperial Assaut Board Game I got the urge to work on mine as well! Thanks Leland, again I stray from one of my many projects to start yet ANOTHER one! But this time I chose a different approach. I force myself to work on the drop pod and reward myself after reaching certain steps (like painting all silver parts on a certain piece, etc.) by progressing on my storm troopers!

So I started cleaning the mold lines on the first troopers and primed the first three of them.
[+] Expand
Then I applied some grey in spots which are meant to be black in the end. I also applied a layer of nuln oil (black wash) and began to put some pure white on the mini. Didn't get too far with the white though as I had to go to sleep before midnight! Hope to be able to work on the mini even more this evening!
[+] Expand
Everything while still working on pieces of my drop pod. It was quite a productive evening!
Painted in 2018:

LordMcAllister
Silver Vault Member

Post by LordMcAllister » Wed Apr 27, 2016 5:21 pm

I progressed a lot on my Stormtrooper, but there is still some work left to do. Not all parts are painted white yet and most of the painted parts are in need of yet another layer of white. Still, I'm quite pleased with my progress!
[+] Expand
And I also kept working on my drop pod!
Painted in 2018: