Arnathos #theweeklypaint 2016

The goal of #theweeklypaint is simple - to develop our skills and paint our armies by making an effort to paint something every week. Anyone is welcome to fire up a thread and join in!
Guildenstern
Lost in the MiniWarGaming world...
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildWon 3 monthly Terrain Group BuildsHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Re: Arnathos #theweeklypaint 2016

Post by Guildenstern » Sun Aug 14, 2016 12:53 pm

Safe journeys! Grats on the drawn out game!

Hope you get home soon and are able to paint :) I don't know what I'd do anymore without being able to work on something.
Dez: "PAINT FOR THE PAINT GODS, SPRUES FOR THE SPRUE THRONE!!"
Guildy's WIP thread (mostly Skaven)
Guildy's weeklypaint thread! (everything mostly not Skaven!)

Arnathos
MiniWarGaming Grand Marshall
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Won a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Arnathos » Tue Sep 20, 2016 1:00 pm

Hey all! Long time no post! I've been SUPER lazy uploading pics lately, as well as being super lazy hobby wise! Part of it is being busy with school, but most of it is laziness.

I went to a tournament in south Finland a week and a half ago, we ended up having a map based campaign over the weekend with 4 people as a slew of cancellations meant we didn't have enough people for a 'proper' tournament.

I had originally planned on bringing a pretty hardcore guard list, as Imperial Guard is much more competitive than chaos, and those are the only armies I have with enough models to make any list I want. But seeing as we had a campaign tournament, with the restrictions of only 1 faction and 2 lists of 1500 point CAD, I thought what the fuzz and went with chaos instead. I made 1 list with a couple of preds, a couple of helldrakes, a unit of obliterators and some marines and cultists led by a Warp Smith, about as competitive a list as I cared to make. For the second 1500 point CAD I couldn't be bothered to make an actual list, so I just took my 3 painted Land raiders, filled 2 with Chaos Space marines and 1 with 4 terminators and a sorcerer.

My opponents where Tyranids(balanced lists, not too flyrant heavy), Chaos daemons(double Flying Circus lists) and the other was Imperial guard, a bit more vehicle heavy than I prefer, but he had to go during the tournament and was replaced by grey knights! Which was narratively quite understandable. Me and my friend who brought the daemons where off to a good start, my Land Raiders somehow held off the imperial guard and all their heavy weaponry, for a narrow victory and the Chaos Daemons destroyed the Tyranids in the first round. The most important thing in this campaign was winning battles, and by how much was not a factor, because of this I realized I might have a chance at winning!

The Second round we switched opponnents, but I carefully evaded the Flying Circus, knowing neither of my lists was really up to dealing with it. I beat the Tyranids with my shooty list, it was mostly down to player mistakes, but having already gotten the competitive bug I didn't mention some of the flaws I made in my positioning!.

Round 3 and the last of the evening I again went for the Tyranids before anyone else could claim them. This was the first time ever that my chaos army almost tabled my opponent, but due to mealstrom being the main thing and my table control being pretty terrible with my list (and the game ending on turn 5 already!). With the grey knights responding to the Daemon threat though, my friend and main competitor also lost a match! So everything was still open.

Round 4, the next day we went in a bit early, but this time I had to face the music. I was in first place, so my friend could pick the match, the Grey Knights and nids where first up and already locked in combat, preventing me from taking the cowards way out. What made matters worse is that I had to place both my armies before my opponent placed his, so he could choose which variant of the flying circus he could use against me, Khrone or Nurgle. He choose for Khorne against the Land Raiders and as it turned out, he chose poorly.
He was able to get first turn, I got counter deployment, which was good. 2 Land Raiders managed to take his big bad bloodthrister with armour of Scorn (-1S to all attacks and adamantium will) down to a single wound! Mostly due to amazing rolls with the Twin-Linked Heavy Bolters. His Prince with touch of uncreation managed to damage one of my Land Raiders, in the second turn, but I quickly managed to take down his general, nabbing me first blood and slay the Warlord and mop up the rest of his princes, which lacked armour. The Final blow came when his herald of Khorne on Juggernaut dissapeared into the warp when he lost his last wound to the warpstorm table, leaving his weakend Fleshhound unit severely underwhelming. The game ended with a couple of points victory for me, losing only 1 Land Raider and a unit of chaos Space marines, my opponent only having 2 nurgling bases left on turn 6. Pretty awesome result and something that really should not have happened that way!

Round 5. The last round it was my turn to face off against the Grey Knights for a hive city battle, due to the way the campaign system worked I had to win in order to win the campaign, so it all came down to this 1 battle! Anyone but the Grey Knights where able to win the campaign so it was very exciting! Had the game ended on turn 5, like it did with the Tyranids, I would have won a crushing victory, but a turn 6 which saw 2 11" charges by the grey knights, made it into a really tight match, with me winning by 1 measly victory point!

Great matches, great opponents, great campaign(although the system needed a rework, as the way army placement worked favored the person in the lead). I won a nice trophy and also a Start Collecting Militarum Tempestus Scions box!(amazing prize! Which was the reason for sparking my competitive nature!)

A win with Chaos Space Marines was also amazing though, even though the xenos 3 didn't have representation, CSM isn't much of a powerhouse faction!

Link to some pics of the thing!

On the hobby side I am trying to find inspiration for converting my Possessed Chaos Vincdicator, trying to figure out the right places to put tentacles and daemon bits as well as the order of assembly. I painted up the chaos duder from the white dwarf and still need to finish up his base, he is a bit on the large side, but I doubt anyone here will mind much.
Time will tell... Sooner or later... Time will tell.
WH40k:
IG 5000pts[95% Painted]
Word Bearers 10000pts[89% Painted]
WHFB:
Empire 5000pts[95% Painted]

FYI, I'm Dutch, not Finnish, I just live there.

Arnathos
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Won a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Arnathos » Sun Oct 16, 2016 9:36 am

Viking 21 wrote:
PS. You should paint them pink...... :wink: jking.
They will be purple with red barrets, like the rest of my scions!

So after a long time of, well, slacking, I present to you, my possessed chaos vindicator!
[+] Expand
Took me quite a while, school has kept me busy, as has thing like running a D&D campaign through tabletop simulator(takes a lot of prep work). Now all that is left of my birthday batch of models(which I got back in April...) are 10 possessed. But I was thinking about doing some terrain first, as I have some craters, containers and fuel pipes lying around.

I didn't take pictures of the warp portal I made under the combi-bolter, in case it gets blown off during a match, I didn't feel like doing one for the demolisher cannon, as it would have been too much work.
WH40k:
IG 5000pts[95% Painted]
WHFB:

Guildenstern
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildWon 3 monthly Terrain Group BuildsHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by Guildenstern » Sun Oct 16, 2016 1:31 pm

Very cool!

Arnathos

Post by Arnathos » Thu Oct 20, 2016 10:28 am

Thanks Guildy!

Finished up my Quake cannon craters, after like over a year delay XD
[+] Expand
These were really easy to paint and should bring some variation to my gaming table. I had been reluctant to use them because they were unpainted, but that won't be a problem anymore! :D

I'll probably do the prometeum pipes next, but they will just get a quick balthasar gold+drybrush treatment with maybe some weathering and details on the panel pieces.
WH40k:
IG 5000pts[95% Painted]
WHFB:

Dez
Spends far too much time here...
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Took part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Dez » Thu Oct 20, 2016 2:31 pm

Those look really good!
PAINT FOR THE PAINT GODS, SPRUES FOR THE SPRUE THRONE!!!

Arnathos

Post by Arnathos » Sun Oct 23, 2016 7:06 am

Thanks Dez!

Also, quick update, my mini's made the front page of the Finnish public broadcasting networks website!

Link

Pretty proud :D even though the article is just a silly lifestyle piece.
WH40k:
IG 5000pts[95% Painted]
WHFB:

Dez
Spends far too much time here...
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Took part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Dez » Sun Oct 23, 2016 11:54 am

That's awesome! It also makes me wish I was multilingual. It would be nice if we put a little more efforts into learning a second language here in the US, especially at a young age. I think Latin would be best, then you'd at least have a basis for all the Romance languages to work with. I'm always impressed with our worldwide peeps here and their wonderful grasp of English.
PAINT FOR THE PAINT GODS, SPRUES FOR THE SPRUE THRONE!!!

Arnathos

Post by Arnathos » Sun Oct 23, 2016 1:16 pm

Spanish is a good way to go, latin isn't really used much and spanish lets you easily get into Portuguese, French and Italian. I'm going to re-attempt Russian as my new school has courses in it, I seem to encounter it a lot and our class has like 5-6 Russian people in it.

The article first talks about how roleplaying games came to Finland through exchange students in the late 70's early 80's and how they later branched out from a book and dice to include miniatures. It then goes to mention that a lot of people like painting miniatures as a stress relief and hobby.

The last part is about the increasing popularity of fantasy books and video games, especially among men around the age of 30 and women of all ages.

They did some interviews with the owner of our FLGS and I happened to have some models in the local display case. I was totally surprised by all of it! :D
WH40k:
IG 5000pts[95% Painted]
WHFB:

Arnathos

Post by Arnathos » Tue Oct 25, 2016 2:45 pm

I am currently on vacation from school which is meant for doing a ton of homework, but, I spent the day with my kids and did some painting instead, I present to you my War(p)smith:
[+] Expand
I haven't put any varnish on him yet, I really need to, but it tends to mess with the paintjob sometimes, especially since I tend to apply a generous layer. I will do that before he sees the table however. I also need to get traitors hate so that I will actually have a situation where I need more than 1 Warpsmith :D

But back to more scenery, I have an urge to finally paint my company standard for my IG after like 12 years, but I'm not sure on what design I want to paint on the flag as I cut off the stupid Cadian 8th one with its engravings and made a blank one from Empire and Scion bits so I can freehand one, but I'm stuck in the design phase.
WH40k:
IG 5000pts[95% Painted]
WHFB:

Guildenstern

Post by Guildenstern » Wed Oct 26, 2016 7:58 am

Ooooooh I'm getting a very cool "Boba Fett" vibe from him - awesome job!

I know what you mean about standards... still working on my Skaven one as well!

Arnathos

Post by Arnathos » Thu Nov 10, 2016 2:32 pm

So finally have something to show again. I finished the Land Raider that I got from my brother! Now I finally have 4 painted Chaos Land Raiders and a Chaos Spartan! Time to make some super viable 2k lists...
[+] Expand
The new one is on the far right.
The new one, with the dozer-blades is on the right of the Spartan.
I found an old set of IG Dozer-blades that do not fit with the current Leman Russ or Chimera Chassis. I sawed it in half and put them on the sides in an inverted manner. Cleaned them up a bit, and voila! Dozer blades on a Land Raider that do not look super silly.

I also had a 1500 point game yesterday against some beautifully painted space wolves, sadly the lighting in our club is pretty bad, so most of the pics were super blurry, but I did manage to get a couple of decent ones:
[+] Expand
It was a tight game and I managed to barely pull off a win when my havoc sergeant decided to turn into a daemon prince(through the favoured scions black crusade detachment thing) and go to town on a unit of Blood Claws and accompanying Wolf Lord who were about to sweep my back lines. But it was a good game with a lot of back and forth.

Some of you might have seen my opponent across the interwebs due to a cosplay meme:
[+] Expand
Also a little link to his Facebook page.
Everyone at the club was quite surprised when that started popping up all over the web!
WH40k:
IG 5000pts[95% Painted]
WHFB:

Arnathos

Post by Arnathos » Sun Dec 04, 2016 6:49 am

Long time no post!

Finished up the Obliterators I was working on, but I can't seem to upload anything to photobucket at the moment as it keeps logging me out whenever I press the upload button. I still need to 'ardcoat them, as they are metal though.

I also got the human bloodbowl team off a friend for like 20€. I thought I had a pretty good deal, until I bought paints for a new paint scheme worth like 50€ XD .

But it is future proofing I guess, I want to see how fast I can work my way through them. Will be nice to have a change of scheme and it is basically just a small squad of dudes. Sorry for the lack of pics, will upload them when I am able(and remember!).

Also very exited for the new chaos legion stuff, hope it is as good as the rumours say!
WH40k:
IG 5000pts[95% Painted]
WHFB: