Arnathos #theweeklypaint 2016

The goal of #theweeklypaint is simple - to develop our skills and paint our armies by making an effort to paint something every week. Anyone is welcome to fire up a thread and join in!
Arnathos
MiniWarGaming Grand Marshall
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Won a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Re: Arnathos #theweeklypaint 2016

Post by Arnathos » Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:22 am

Still lazy!

Long time no update, I have been painting, currently I'm working on some rogue trader obliterators, they are hard to figure out, colour scheme wise and also a normal obliterator, which just has a ton of detail on it.

Last Sunday we had the 1000 point tournament. It was a bit badly timed as there was also the Vectorama LAN happening in town and some of the local 40k crowd was over there playing games. We had 10 people in total, including me, so quite a small crowd, but still worth the tournament.

My army consisted of:
Warpsmith
Veterans of the Long War

10 chaos space marines
2 Meltas, extra close combat weapons, VotLW, melta bomb for the champ.'
In a Rhino

9 chaos space marines
1 Flamer, extra close combat weapons, VotLW, melta bomb for the champ.
in a Rhino

5 Nurgle Spawn

2 Predators with full lascannons
We had 3 Eldar players, 2 Chaos Space marines(myself and another guy), 1 black templars, 1 Imperial Guard, 1 Blood angels, 1 Tau Empire and 1 White Scars. The winner was one of the Eldar players, 2nd was also eldar and the 3rd was Tau. I ended up in last place, although I had no intention of winning my own tournament, I lost the first game to an experienced opponent(Whose army consisted of 5 units of scatter laser jetbikes, 3 units of 5 warp spiders and 3 Vaul's Wrath D cannon batteries and a farseer) and due to errors on my part. The second game, also against eldar was close, but I lost it due to catastrophic random effects in the mission special rules. The last game was against Blood angels and I won that one just barely.

I had a great time at the tournament and so did everyone else from what I gathered and we will probably do another one before the year is over. For anyone interested in the rules they can be found HERE. People voted my army as best looking though, despite there not being any prize for that due to a small budget. The winner got a gift certificate for the store chain our FLGS is a part of and one randomly determined person in the last 3(me not included as head judge) got a unit of Eldar Jetbikes, in our "they need it the most!" running joke!
Time will tell... Sooner or later... Time will tell.
WH40k:
IG 5000pts[95% Painted]
Word Bearers 10000pts[89% Painted]
WHFB:
Empire 5000pts[95% Painted]

FYI, I'm Dutch, not Finnish, I just live there.

Dez
Spends far too much time here...
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Took part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Dez » Tue Jun 14, 2016 10:24 am

Good show, glad to see people running and organizing events all over the world. But man, Space Elves. I run Decurion Necrons in tournaments and still have trouble, it's too much. It's really curtailed my desire to play 40k at all.
PAINT FOR THE PAINT GODS, SPRUES FOR THE SPRUE THRONE!!!

Arnathos
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Won a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Arnathos » Wed Jun 29, 2016 6:02 am

Looong time no update. I have been slacking as of late, playing PC games in my free time and such. I did finally manage to finish my Obliterators. The old ones are actually really hard to paint well, they look more in line with the current style of Orkz instead of Chaos Space Marines, but I got them dirt cheap and it is something different.

[+] Expand
The current style Obliterator was a rescue model from my brothers' stash, so I had to convert up some weapons to fill in the missing parts.

Also took some pictures of the manufactorum I painted up for this months deathmatch, a basic scenery job really:
[+] Expand
Still not sure what to paint up next. I'll be leaving for the Netherlands in 3 weeks time and I feel like I should paint up something still, just not sure what :P
WH40k:
IG 5000pts[95% Painted]
WHFB:

Guildenstern
Lost in the MiniWarGaming world...
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildWon 3 monthly Terrain Group BuildsHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by Guildenstern » Wed Jun 29, 2016 2:46 pm

Ohh I like your design!
Dez: "PAINT FOR THE PAINT GODS, SPRUES FOR THE SPRUE THRONE!!"
Guildy's WIP thread (mostly Skaven)
Guildy's weeklypaint thread! (everything mostly not Skaven!)

Munin
Bronze Vault Member
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting Pledges

Post by Munin » Tue Jul 05, 2016 5:04 pm

Holy old-school Obliterators, batman! They look rad!

Arnathos

Post by Arnathos » Fri Jul 08, 2016 3:45 am

Guildenstern wrote:Ohh I like your design!
Thanks! I thought yours was really inventive as well and honestly think it might be better gameplay wise, especially when playing on smaller boards.
Munin wrote:Holy old-school Obliterators, batman! They look rad!
Thanks! I was a bit worried about how they would turn out, due to their gnarly style, but in the end I am happy with the result, glad you like them as well!

A short update today, got my sorcerer for the Deathmatch finished, I know it is a bit 'not done' uploading deathmatch pics this early, but I'll be in The Netherlands at the end of the month, so I kind of have to do it now!

Pics:
[+] Expand

I honestly thought I would never need another sorcerer after making the initial 5 for an apoc game a couple of years back, guess I was wrong! I paint my sorcerers in a black legion theme, as some sources in the Word Bearer fluff point to their dislike of sorcerous disciplines, preferring to use psykers purely to summon daemons, the Black legion Sorcerers are advisors sent by the black legion fluffwise. A fluffy workaround to army restrictions. I also went for a very dark blue, rather than straight up black, as I did this with the previous 5, I decided to continue the theme.
WH40k:
IG 5000pts[95% Painted]
WHFB:

Arnathos

Post by Arnathos » Fri Jul 08, 2016 9:13 am

Another update today. It took me all week to finish that sorcerer, then I did this today:
[+] Expand
It is weird how inspiration hits you sometimes. I still need to work on the base and gloss coat it then bring it back down to a matte coat, but I'm quite happy with how this turned out. The paint is a bit rough in areas because of it being a rescue model and a tad thick primer around the mask/faceplate. I was thinking of using this as a Ferrum Infernus Dreadnaught, seeing as it is so different from helbrutes.
WH40k:
IG 5000pts[95% Painted]
WHFB:

Dez
Spends far too much time here...
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Took part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Dez » Fri Jul 08, 2016 10:21 am

Gotta love them old school Dreads :)
PAINT FOR THE PAINT GODS, SPRUES FOR THE SPRUE THRONE!!!

Arnathos

Post by Arnathos » Sat Jul 23, 2016 4:13 am

Long time no update! The past few weeks I have been working away at my 2nd Helldrake(As I felt the gentleman's allowance of Helldrakes is roughly 2 now, also I needed to do this headswap.), this one took me twice as long as the previous one, which took me about a week and which I now might have to revisit, to do some repairs and possibly magnetise the wings for easier transport as I did with this one.

Overall I am happy with the result and I feel that the headswap really works well, the Helldrake's problem isn't that it doesn't look dragony enough, but that it looks too dragony and not daemony enough. In my opinion anyway, plus I've always had a thing for Populous The Beginning and its Angel of Death.

Pics:
[+] Expand
Tomorrow I'll be off to the low countries again for my annual trip back home, although Finland feels more like home than the Netherlands these days. I did convince my wife to let me sneak a small 1k point army along for the ride, so I am hoping to get a game in if possible!

Bonus pics:
[+] Expand

Finished up the dread base and transfers, I done goofed with the matt varnish though, it had a bit of chainmail pigment in it, so now the dread has sparkles when inspected from up close -_-
WH40k:
IG 5000pts[95% Painted]
WHFB:

Guildenstern
Lost in the MiniWarGaming world...
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildWon 3 monthly Terrain Group BuildsHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by Guildenstern » Sun Jul 24, 2016 2:46 pm

I love the Helldrake model, such a beautiful model. You've done a really awesome job on it as well! I think the head swap is perfect too!
Dez: "PAINT FOR THE PAINT GODS, SPRUES FOR THE SPRUE THRONE!!"
Guildy's WIP thread (mostly Skaven)
Guildy's weeklypaint thread! (everything mostly not Skaven!)

Kovlovsky
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said

Post by Kovlovsky » Mon Jul 25, 2016 2:17 pm

I'm loving the Heldrake conversion although I'm happy with the standard head myself. The paintjob is fantastic.I have to say that I liked more the style of the old metal Chaos Dreadnoughts. I was sad when I realised that FW removed all these cool CSM legion specific dreadnoughts from their website. They made cool Ferrum Infernus Dreadnoughts. I never had any love for the Helbrutes. They are nicely sculpted, but they don't fit the TS aestheticism. If I have to take a Dreadnought, I would probably go for a Chaos Contemptor.

Oh! I'm a bit late, but nice job on the Obliterators. You gave a new life to the old metal Obliterators. I don't like the current models. Their pose looks unnatural and they look like if they were constipated or something. They feel like if they were walking like penguins. I hope they will release plastic ones way they finally remake our codex. They are one of our numerous miniatures that really need an update.
Forum's NKVD Cpt. Kovlovsky

40k : 3945 points of Thousand Sons
380 pts of Tzeentch Daemons of Chaos

Thousand Sons WiP : http://www.miniwargaming.com/forum/view ... 6&t=114889

Fantasy : OnG

LordMcAllister
Silver Vault Member
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by LordMcAllister » Fri Jul 29, 2016 1:56 am

That's such a perfect conversion, it doesn't even look like one! It looks absolutly natural, as if it's meant to be this way! Great!
Painted in 2018:
AdMech: 2 Vanguard
Marines: 1 Rhino, 6 Primaris Intercessor, 1 Captain in gravis armour, 1 Scribbus Wretch
Shadespire: 4 Sepulchral Guard

Arnathos

Post by Arnathos » Sun Aug 14, 2016 7:22 am

Thanks for the compliments all! :D

Long time no post, I'm still in the Netherlands today and will be travelling back to Finland tomorrow. 3 weeks of no painting/building is starting to take its toll and I can't wait to get back to my desk!

I did have a game of 1000 points of Chaos vs Tau while here, I lost but didn't get tabled until turn 6, which is a win in my book.

Then I went to sign up for a tournament in less than a month, some of the locals in my club were going so I finally went and caved. It does mean I finally have to base my 50 conscripts, which I have been putting off for about a year now.

Can't wait to be home!
WH40k:
IG 5000pts[95% Painted]
WHFB: