Arnathos #theweeklypaint 2016

The goal of #theweeklypaint is simple - to develop our skills and paint our armies by making an effort to paint something every week. Anyone is welcome to fire up a thread and join in!
Guildenstern
Lost in the MiniWarGaming world...
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildWon 3 monthly Terrain Group BuildsHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Re: Arnathos #theweeklypaint 2016

Post by Guildenstern » Sun Dec 04, 2016 1:36 pm

Nice!

I thought they looked a bit boring, but I've only seen pictures online. Looking forward to seeing what you do with yours!
Dez: "PAINT FOR THE PAINT GODS, SPRUES FOR THE SPRUE THRONE!!"
Guildy's WIP thread (mostly Skaven)
Guildy's weeklypaint thread! (everything mostly not Skaven!)

Kovlovsky
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said

Post by Kovlovsky » Sun Dec 04, 2016 3:08 pm

Hey Arnathos! I love your new possessed Vindicator. It has just the right amount of tentacles to suggest that it's possessed, but not too much to make it overcharged.
Arnathos wrote:Also very exited for the new chaos legion stuff, hope it is as good as the rumours say!
If it's as awesome and characterful than the Wrath of Magnus book, you're up to be very satisfied. In many ways, it's a revival of the 3.5 edition codex, but in better overall. Some formations are expensive and to fully benefit for the bonuses, you have to field the max number of units, but even the basic bonus is generally worth it. It has also great synergy between each part of the new units and formations. If they do as much of a good work with the Traitor Legions book, you will be pleasantly surprised. I think GW gave Phil Kelly the greenlight to revive the glorious days of Chaos (maybe it's another designer since they no longer give credits to authors, but I feel his style behind the rules. He has participated in writing the 3.5 edition codex after all).
Forum's NKVD Cpt. Kovlovsky

40k : 3945 points of Thousand Sons
380 pts of Tzeentch Daemons of Chaos

Thousand Sons WiP : http://www.miniwargaming.com/forum/view ... 6&t=114889

Fantasy : OnG

Imperia
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot

Post by Imperia » Sun Dec 04, 2016 4:26 pm

Are those white symbols and markings freehanded? they look really cool and have never really been done on 40k WB before

As for the Traitors hate, I have seen a compilation of all rules leaks and my oh my, the legion tactics are like chapter tactics on steroids, they are far more flavourful and do much more for your army and lead the design of your army into certain builds, that may sound bad but there are variations of 9 different play styles, it really helps bring out the character of your legion and how they play, and CSM seems to be the only codex around that regularly pull different units into troops, Alpha Legion chosen, Night Lords raptors and ofc the God Themed unit and their corresponding legion. I am really excited for a resurgence of chaos in 40k, I have been looking for a new army and chaos is it!

Arnathos
MiniWarGaming Grand Marshall
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Won a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Arnathos » Sun Dec 04, 2016 4:40 pm

It is a bit of a trap though, Chaos still pays much more for a less able unit compared to space marines, but the new deathguard rules do sort of pop out. I'll save around 50ish points from my own lists though because of free VotLW, and getting VotLW possessed as troops is pretty neat, although they are still too expensive for what they do.

If the World Eater rumours are on point it is going to be first turn charges without the need for deep strikes.

But I will definitely get the book. I am glad I just stubbornly continued adding to my Word Bearers regardless of sub-par rules. Just need to get my possessed in table top shape after I get my bloodbowl human starter done. I have 10 painted but they are still on 25mm bases, also assembled 10 new ones yesterday with some old school bits mixed in. Should have 20 before the year is done. Might throw them in the 'ol Spartan with an apostle in tow at some point.

I do hope everyone can still take the original CSM artifacts though, I still love them Daemon Weapons.
Time will tell... Sooner or later... Time will tell.
WH40k:
IG 5000pts[95% Painted]
Word Bearers 10000pts[89% Painted]
WHFB:
Empire 5000pts[95% Painted]

FYI, I'm Dutch, not Finnish, I just live there.

Kovlovsky
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said

Post by Kovlovsky » Sun Dec 04, 2016 5:10 pm

Arnathos wrote:It is a bit of a trap though, Chaos still pays much more for a less able unit compared to space marines, but the new deathguard rules do sort of pop out. I'll save around 50ish points from my own lists though because of free VotLW, and getting VotLW possessed as troops is pretty neat, although they are still too expensive for what they do.
It's generally true, but what I'm reading in the Wrath of Magnus is stuff that nobody else than the TS can do. :P But I agree that it's overall very expensive.
Arnathos wrote:If the World Eater rumours are on point it is going to be first turn charges without the need for deep strikes.
There are going to be a lot of Tau tears soon enough. ;)
Arnathos wrote:But I will definitely get the book. I am glad I just stubbornly continued adding to my Word Bearers regardless of sub-par rules. Just need to get my possessed in table top shape after I get my bloodbowl human starter done. I have 10 painted but they are still on 25mm bases, also assembled 10 new ones yesterday with some old school bits mixed in. Should have 20 before the year is done. Might throw them in the 'ol Spartan with an apostle in tow at some point.

I do hope everyone can still take the original CSM artifacts though, I still love them Daemon Weapons.
These are great times for being Chaos indeed! I feel vindicated of having continued my TS even with subpar rules. As for CSM artifacts, you can rest assured because the Thousand Sons book says that if your detachment is a TS detachment, you can take instead artefacts from the Thousand Sons artefacts list. There is no wording saying that it's an obligation, but just a possibility. I highly doubt they will make it more restrictive for the other legions.
Forum's NKVD Cpt. Kovlovsky

40k : 3945 points of Thousand Sons
380 pts of Tzeentch Daemons of Chaos

Thousand Sons WiP : http://www.miniwargaming.com/forum/view ... 6&t=114889

Fantasy : OnG

Arnathos
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Won a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Arnathos » Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:53 am

FLGS didn't order enough supplements, so I'll have to wait another week, more time to do school stuff and paint!

It seems that photobucket just refuses to co-operate with me now, which is a shame. I painted up my human bloodbowl team last week, but can't share the pics :/

I need to look into some new way of uploading stuff, as Facebook isn't really all that great either, but I dread having to expand into other social media. First world problems.

Also, Bloodbowl is really good, I know everyone ever has told me this since forever, but I never believed them and couldn't imagine a game this good, watching it doesn't do it justice really, playing is where "it" is "at".
[+] Expand
WH40k:
IG 5000pts[95% Painted]
WHFB:

Arnathos

Post by Arnathos » Sun Dec 25, 2016 3:46 pm

Doing the christmas thing over here, been eating a lot and spending time with the family.

I got 3 quad bolter rapiers with some conversion beamers and the new traitor legions book for christmas, along with some obligatory socks!

The end of the year is closing in and I guess it is time to look back on what I got done.

I painted up a 1000 point army of Dark angels, 29 models in total, one of my best looking armies still.

Then I painted up a whole bunch of terrain, 4 quake cannon craters, 3 Aegis defense lines with all the extra's, 6 city ruins plus some smaller stuff, a set of promethium relay pipes that I was unable to post pics of.

My imperial guard got some reinforcements in the form of a 2nd command leman russ, as well as painting over 30 spare weapons for the existing leman russes to make them more flexible.

Then most of the year was dedicated to my Word Bearers, 3 chaos lords(one jump pack, one biker), 2 warpsmiths, a terminator sorcerer, a Chaos Spartan and Land raider, 2 chaos predators, all magnetized, a chaos vindicator, another helldrake, an oldschool chaos dread, 5 warp talons, 4 Chaos Spawn, 7 terminators and 9 obliterators, all in all roughly 3300 points worth of models for my chaos army alone.

And lastly I painted up a human bloodbowl starter. Another 12 models!

I didn't get much done during the end of the year because of school, but overall I think I did pretty well!

To do for chaos:

- ~20 chaos marines of various roles.
- Flightless metal daemon prince(still putting this off!, but getting closer!)
- ~25 chaos cultists, probably need these soon with the new formations and stuff!
- 3 Chaos Rapier batteries + weapon options and crew, they just need magnetizing and some paint.
- 10 possessed, already assembled and just waiting for a paintjob.
- rebase my 10 old possessed and 2 sorcerers, the only models in power armour left on 25mm.
- Possibly a terminator or 2, maybe some other random stuff I find in my bits, depending on my mood.

Imperial Guard:
- 3 heavy weapon teams(still haven't gotten to these!)
- 10 Scions
- Taurox
- Commissar (start collecting from a tournament I won)
- Armoured sentinel
- Regimental advisors

Terrain:
- Armoured containers box, everything still on sprues.
- 2 tiny pieces of ruins.
- 1 hoooge ruin that takes up 1/4th of a 6'x4' table, not the smartest build, in retrospect.

Empire:
- 10 crossbowmen/swordsmen.(probably the latter)
- A mortar + crew.
- Mounted Celestial Wizard
(motivation for these is 0, as fantasy is totally dead around here now.)

Random models:
- Archaon on Foot, just waiting for inspiration to hit, the main problem is finding a colour scheme, as I kind of hate the catalogue one and don't want to just go with red again.
WH40k:
IG 5000pts[95% Painted]
WHFB:

TheHoundmaster
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting Pledges

Post by TheHoundmaster » Thu Dec 29, 2016 4:49 pm

Did someone say they were painting Empire models?!?

To be fair i totally hear you, its hard to get motivated when you know that you're beautiful Empire models aren't part of "The Empire" as we knew it. Whats your celestial wizard mounted on?
The Warhammer Fantasy Guy!

Arnathos

Post by Arnathos » Thu Dec 29, 2016 4:54 pm

Just a generic empire barded warhorse, not even sure what kind of wizard he originally was, he seemed very generic and the head of his staff was missing, so I put a celestial wizard bit on it from the double wizard kit.

Will take a picture when I have time to dig them up!

Also, hound, I have Dark Angels! And welcome back hound! I've missed you loads! Hope life has been good to you!
WH40k:
IG 5000pts[95% Painted]
WHFB:

Return to “#theweeklypaint 2016”