Guildy's 2016 Stuffs

The goal of #theweeklypaint is simple - to develop our skills and paint our armies by making an effort to paint something every week. Anyone is welcome to fire up a thread and join in!
Guildenstern
Lost in the MiniWarGaming world...
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildWon 3 monthly Terrain Group BuildsHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Re: Guildy's 2016 Stuffs

Post by Guildenstern » Sun Dec 04, 2016 1:34 pm

lol

^^ rusty undercoat
Dez: "PAINT FOR THE PAINT GODS, SPRUES FOR THE SPRUE THRONE!!"
Guildy's WIP thread (mostly Skaven)
Guildy's weeklypaint thread! (everything mostly not Skaven!)

Guildenstern
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildWon 3 monthly Terrain Group BuildsHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by Guildenstern » Mon Dec 05, 2016 5:07 pm

uploaded from my phone so I think some may be in the wrong order - basically this is, basecoat, weathering, chipping

Munin
Bronze Vault Member
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting Pledges

Post by Munin » Tue Dec 06, 2016 12:14 am

The weathering on that model is fantastic!

Guildenstern

Post by Guildenstern » Tue Dec 06, 2016 12:15 am

weathering stage two

using an oil wash, weathering powders to help create the earth look. Still have some details to do. I need to make the ram match the rest of the vehicle more (or vice versa really). Have a couple other things I want to try but have to see.

First time I've used an oil wash method - going by the forgeworld masterclass book so this should be fun. Something I've been wanting to do for quite a while.

LordMcAllister
Silver Vault Member
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by LordMcAllister » Tue Dec 06, 2016 8:56 am

Really nice work! I'm looking forward to your final result. I hope for some close ups on the weathering to see the effect the powder creates a bit better!
What is your experience so far with the powders? Are they easy to work with? Are there beginners mistakes that can be avoided? Do they stick to the model or are they easily brushed off after some time of playing with the model and therefore more meant for display pieces? I think about looking into those as well, that's why I'm asking. Thanks in advance!
Painted in 2018:
AdMech: 2 Vanguard
Marines: 1 Rhino, 6 Primaris Intercessor, 1 Captain in gravis armour, 1 Scribbus Wretch
Shadespire: 4 Sepulchral Guard

Guildenstern

Post by Guildenstern » Tue Dec 06, 2016 2:08 pm

Hey :D

thanks guys!

I've used weathering powders before a bit, like on my Whiskey Golem. There's several ways of applying them (misterJustin has a couple of really good videos btw) but anyways, if you don't fix them in place, they will definitely come off. Right now the stuff on the vehicle I have is fixin to come off - I'm about to get my airbrush and spray matte varnish over it. Some of it's still lost doing that - usually you need a few applications.

it's really easy to apply but hard to direct. That is, you'll want to be sure to mask off areas you do NOT want it on for sure, and let gravity help you as much as possible. It's really fine stuff so I've found overall the easiest way to apply for an area surface coverage is to use a fairly largish brush, pick up some powder, then flick the brush against something like a popsicle stick. It's a lot like randomly spattering paint. Make sure you're working on a piece of paper or something to catch the extra pigment.

Then you can spray it with fixative (like white spirits, aka mineral spirits, or isopropyl) to 'set it'. If you use something like mineral spirits, it'll give you some time to play with the pigment as well (like for streaking). And you will find it naturally may give you areas of bare and areas of coverage which you can use to your advantage. Or so I've read ^_^

The main way I tend to use weathering powders is either a) apply on model, use an old brush and my fixitive directly on the powder (which will tend to wash some off and clump other bits) or b) mix a small amount of fixitive in a cup with some of the powders and make a kind of wash. If you want the more granular look, then you can't do these two though, you'll have to sprinkle some on and fix it, like with an airbrush or a rattle can fixitive.

Anyway, it's its whole own learning process but a lot of fun! Don't be afraid to mess with some! Worse case scenario - coat your model's paint job with a couple layers of varnish first and if you really don't like the weathering you can carefully remove it with isoprobyl or something.

LordMcAllister
Silver Vault Member
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by LordMcAllister » Wed Dec 07, 2016 1:57 am

Thanks a lot for reporting about your experience! The more I look at your "powdered" dozerblade, the more convinced I am to give it a try!
Painted in 2018:
Marines: 1 Rhino, 6 Primaris Intercessor, 1 Captain in gravis armour, 1 Scribbus Wretch

Kovlovsky
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said

Post by Kovlovsky » Wed Dec 07, 2016 10:38 am

Amazing conversion! I absolutely LOVE your weathering and thanks for the guide that tells us how to do it safely at home. :)
Forum's NKVD Cpt. Kovlovsky

40k : 3945 points of Thousand Sons
380 pts of Tzeentch Daemons of Chaos

Thousand Sons WiP : http://www.miniwargaming.com/forum/view ... 6&t=114889

Fantasy : OnG

Guildenstern

Post by Guildenstern » Mon Dec 12, 2016 6:19 am

speaking of safety, after handling that much weathering powder I have a new guideline :P wear a mask!

lol you'll have interesting colours when you blow your nose if you don't.

Anyways, got more work done on my piglets, they're almost done. I put them on their bases, with some vallejo textured earth (to match my other bases). When that's dry I'll put the wash on and I'm thinking of adding gloss varnish to make the 'mud' look wet.

Decided I didn't like the pig on my pigapult - an actual pink colour is just too much for these guys, so I threw him in my vat of purple power.

Got the Austringers basecoated, but I'm really having trouble getting up the gumption to want to paint them. I dunno why.

Guildenstern

Post by Guildenstern » Tue Dec 13, 2016 10:10 pm

Piglets are done, austringers are close to being done.

Trying to decide what I want to work on next. I may build Playboy's Mortis engine that he's been wanting to use. He said he wants to try out a more calvary oriented list next go.

Christmas break week is almost here so hopefully we'll get more games in too. I really want to play vs his necrons again, but he's on a VC kick atm.

Just need to get through this week, end of Pre-school Christmas party etc.

Guildenstern

Post by Guildenstern » Thu Dec 15, 2016 7:25 am

Need to do Austringers bases

Got my plasticard in, with kromlech orky heads to swap out (I'm prolly putting them on my ork bikers)

Working on the 'street' base for the elf calvary I'd done bit ago - thinking mystical theme so right now it's got elf runes on it, and I'm fixin to figure how I want to cut the card out

*still* need to take pics of stuffs but todays really busy it's our Pre-K Christmas party so will be dealing with sugar coated kids shortly - they're awesome and it's more fun than a frat party but it's also exhausting.

Guildenstern

Post by Guildenstern » Fri Dec 16, 2016 9:07 am

Working on my elf calvary bases, coming along!

LordMcAllister
Silver Vault Member

Post by LordMcAllister » Tue Dec 20, 2016 2:00 am

I'm really curious how it may look once it's finished.. and the cavalry is fixed upon it! Keep going!
Painted in 2018:

Guildenstern

Post by Guildenstern » Thu Dec 22, 2016 5:27 pm

Ahh I need to take better pics! it doesn't show very well, but it does look cool :D still need to go over the edges of the base and neaten them but otherwise they're all done :)