Guildy's 2016 Stuffs

The goal of #theweeklypaint is simple - to develop our skills and paint our armies by making an effort to paint something every week. Anyone is welcome to fire up a thread and join in!
Guildenstern
Lost in the MiniWarGaming world...
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildWon 3 monthly Terrain Group BuildsHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Re: Guildy's 2016 Stuffs

Post by Guildenstern » Sat Sep 10, 2016 8:10 pm

just working on stormfiends, did finish basecoat on my jabberwock. I have some iridescent (sp) medium I'm going to use somehow on it, need to play with it some I think. Really really want it quite bright I think

we had the reaper miniature contest on FB finally - got honorable mention =D one of 4 but much better than my last entry

Not going to get much more done next two weeks or so, flying to Oregon to visit with my dad and sissy. Really not looking forward to actual trip tbh but it'll be great to visit.
Dez: "PAINT FOR THE PAINT GODS, SPRUES FOR THE SPRUE THRONE!!"
Guildy's WIP thread (mostly Skaven)
Guildy's weeklypaint thread! (everything mostly not Skaven!)

Nappen
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildWon 3 monthly Terrain Group BuildsMASTER BUILDER! Won 5 monthly Terrain Group Builds!Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 10 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 15 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 20 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Took part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' EntryWon the second 'King of the Hill' challengesWon the third 'King of the Hill' challengesAwarded the Awesome Medal of Awesomeness!

Post by Nappen » Sun Sep 11, 2016 1:11 am

Love being there, just not the getting there.

Guildenstern
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildWon 3 monthly Terrain Group BuildsHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by Guildenstern » Sun Sep 11, 2016 6:16 pm

Yup, I hate travelling anymore. I love to fly, but sitting down that long is hell on my knees now

Ah well, just got back from FLGS where my poor Skaven got trounced :( Playboy had his VC, and DS took his daddy's High Elves out for another spin. DS is really getting into the game which is good! We did a homebrew 8th ed. scenario with about 1250 points since that's about all the HE we have atm.

Did kind of a king of the hill - idea was to get to the top of a ziggurat enclosed behind a kind of volcanic wall, with two entry points. After that you were supposed to defend it for 3 turns to "win". Not a bad scenario for a three way battle.

Nobody actually made it but the boys got close!

Playboy blew up my Warp lightning cannon sadly - he realized the disaster it could bring pretty early. I'm pretty sure we didn't get all the magic rules right for some of his stuff but kind of let it go, because, by that point, frankly, we'd been at the store for four hours. I managed to shoot my own slaves with, on a bounce >< Course they were just slaves!

Still it was fun, we'll have to play some more when I get back from Oregon. There's a couple of AoS scenarios I want to try out as well, from the General's HB.

Kovlovsky

Post by Kovlovsky » Mon Sep 12, 2016 3:05 am

It seems like you had a blast together! I'm glad that your second son starts to like Fantasy. What magic rule are you unsure about?
Forum's NKVD Cpt. Kovlovsky

40k : 3945 points of Thousand Sons
380 pts of Tzeentch Daemons of Chaos

Thousand Sons WiP : http://www.miniwargaming.com/forum/view ... 6&t=114889

Fantasy : OnG

Guildenstern

Post by Guildenstern » Tue Sep 13, 2016 2:40 pm

Kovlovsky wrote:It seems like you had a blast together! I'm glad that your second son starts to like Fantasy. What magic rule are you unsure about?
well, there were a couple things I think, as I recall the main one was Playboy charged my command unit with his Hexwraiths, which have ethereal and something about only being hit with magical weapons? I should have not taken the charge, I realized belatedly but I thought I could kill off some of them =/ Anyway I will ask him when he gets home as well, as I'm a bit fuzzy now on the particulars.

Ok so the thing I was more fuzzy on was his Hexwraiths did their ethereal (soul reaping ability) thing on my warmachine (Warp lightning cannon), which does a str 5 hit with no armour saves, if they pass through the unit in question (not charging). So we figured it'd hit the crew, not the warmachine. (which is the part I'm not entirely sure about)

Also, I think I'm confusing the flame attacks with Malifaux. They seem to only be good vs. "flammable" things and buildings - they don't do additional damage? or damage over time?

Kovlovsky

Post by Kovlovsky » Tue Sep 13, 2016 10:36 pm

Guildenstern wrote:
Kovlovsky wrote:It seems like you had a blast together! I'm glad that your second son starts to like Fantasy. What magic rule are you unsure about?
well, there were a couple things I think, as I recall the main one was Playboy charged my command unit with his Hexwraiths, which have ethereal and something about only being hit with magical weapons? I should have not taken the charge, I realized belatedly but I thought I could kill off some of them =/ Anyway I will ask him when he gets home as well, as I'm a bit fuzzy now on the particulars.
Yes, being etheral means that they can only be wounded by Magical Attacks, so you need to use magical weapons or magic to kill them (such as magic missiles, vortex or direct damage kind of spells). Some rare units have Magical Attacks like Hexwraiths themselves or bretonnian Grail Knights. However, you can still win a combat against them through combat resolution, especially if you more ranks than him and have a charge and maybe something like a flank or a War Banner.
Guildenstern wrote:Ok so the thing I was more fuzzy on was his Hexwraiths did their ethereal (soul reaping ability) thing on my warmachine (Warp lightning cannon), which does a str 5 hit with no armour saves, if they pass through the unit in question (not charging). So we figured it'd hit the crew, not the warmachine. (which is the part I'm not entirely sure about)
Soul Reapers is something else. It gives them Magical Attacks, Flaming Attacks and their attacks allow no save. You're talking about Spectral Hunters. What this rule says is that in addition to what you've already said is that it's distributed as shooting attacks. And when you shoot a war machine, it hits the warmachine itself and you use its toughness and wounds when rolling to wound and when resolving the damage done on it. It's not mentionned in the Vampire Counts FAQ, but since the hits are distributed as shooting attacks, it's how I would play it. So, it should have hit the Warp Lightning Cannon and not the crew which is at your advantage since it's tougher. :)
Guildenstern wrote:Also, I think I'm confusing the flame attacks with Malifaux. They seem to only be good vs. "flammable" things and buildings - they don't do additional damage? or damage over time?
Flamming Attacks in Warhammer Fantasy don't do extra damage to ordinary units. Like you said, when you wound a "Flammable" unit with a Flamming Attack, each unsaved wound is doubled. To the best of my knowledge, "Flammable" units are pretty rare. They're mostly found among the Treant like units in the wood elven army and some Tomb King characters and constructs. Otherwise, Flammable Attacks do three additional things. When they wound a unit with Regeneration, the unit loses the Regeneration special rule for the rest of the phase. In the next phase, it gets Regeneration back. The second thing is that, like you mentionned, when you use Flamming Attacks on a unit inside a building, both when you assault or shoot, you can reroll your failed to wound rolls. This will mainly come into action if you play with the Watch Tower scenario or if you play with fortifications. The third and last thing they do is that Flamming Attacks cause Fear to Warbeast, Cavalry and Chariots. They don't do anything else.

I hope that this helps.
Forum's NKVD Cpt. Kovlovsky

40k : 3945 points of Thousand Sons
380 pts of Tzeentch Daemons of Chaos

Thousand Sons WiP : http://www.miniwargaming.com/forum/view ... 6&t=114889

Fantasy : OnG

Guildenstern

Post by Guildenstern » Wed Sep 14, 2016 12:43 pm

Ahh that's much clearer cool! thanks! I saw that line about shooting attacks but completely spaced how it worked. I knew I was doing something wrong I just couldn't figure out what lol This is what I get for going months without playing.

Good news, we met a chaos player. He kinda asked to play while we were already playing which I thought was kinda weird but anyway, we might play next time in a 4 way battle. Lol he also looked at my son's VC stuff and asked if I'd paint his stuff for him haha

Guildenstern

Post by Guildenstern » Wed Sep 14, 2016 8:24 pm

Ok really going to pack now, honest :P wanted to do more on this model but no more time so calling it done for now. Needs a base of course. I may do more highlighting on the metals when I get back. Not great pictures, no time to get the lights out but wanted yall to see him. Feel free to offer suggestions. Tried a new thing on his armour, made it like it was leather studded kind of, and I tried to put some scratches on the leather (boots mainly) wasn't perfect but it kind of works I think. Need thinner lines.

Dez
Spends far too much time here...
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Took part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Dez » Thu Sep 15, 2016 4:01 pm

Looking good so far! I'd think about highlighting the flesh up another layer, and put in some striated lines for the muscles. For the red, I think you could take the highlight up a notch and add some more depth by adding in more shade to the recess. Hit the parts of the metals that would be rusty (ie the parts that wouldn't be in contact with anything, hands or moving parts or necks or limbs) with some sepia or super watered down orange wash. Build it slowly. Finally for the scratches, I think you are on the right track. Just hit the bottom of the scratches with a highlight, because that is where the light would hit and it will add depth.

*Turns on ESP* Oh yeah Dez, just add in a bunch more work for me...
PAINT FOR THE PAINT GODS, SPRUES FOR THE SPRUE THRONE!!!

Nappen
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildWon 3 monthly Terrain Group BuildsMASTER BUILDER! Won 5 monthly Terrain Group Builds!Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 10 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 15 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 20 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Took part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' EntryWon the second 'King of the Hill' challengesWon the third 'King of the Hill' challengesAwarded the Awesome Medal of Awesomeness!

Post by Nappen » Sun Oct 02, 2016 1:42 am

having fun in Oregon?

Guildenstern

Post by Guildenstern » Tue Oct 04, 2016 3:26 pm

Hey! :D

Is back, finally.

Ugh, what a pita plane fight - couple four hour layovers in seattle both ways. Long flight.

Anyway! whilst I was gone, I got some Skaven deathrunners in, and a bunch of elves for my youngest. Whole shed load of stuff sitting on my desk now lol

Had some fun while I was gone, got my niece and nephew into Magic. They love games and both are really taking to it, with a will. Plus, they're already picking up the strategies! If I had more money or they were closer, I'd be teaching them wargaming as well.

Still got some jet lag but not too bad I think. Should be getting back into the swing of things again soon! I have a dakkajet on my desk I need to paint too lol