What is #theweeklypaint?

The goal of #theweeklypaint is simple - to develop our skills and paint our armies by making an effort to paint something every week. Anyone is welcome to fire up a thread and join in!
Epic Duck Mike
The Duckiest!
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

What is #theweeklypaint?

Post by Epic Duck Mike » Wed Feb 25, 2015 10:05 am

What is #theweeklypaint?

#theweeklypaint is part WIP log, part Pledge, and part Community-building. It's also a hashtag, simply because I was doing this on Twitter before I brought it to MiniWarGaming. You can call it "The Weekly Paint" if you prefer, it won't hurt anybody's feelings.

#theweeklypaint is a pledge to paint something, anything, every week. It doesn't matter if you crank out a whole army in a week or just find time to basecoat a single model, the goal is to help make focusing on your hobby into a habit - and through consistent regular painting and feedback, improve your own skill, get more done, and inspire others.

How is it different from a Work-in-Progress log?

A Work-in-Progress log typically follows a single project - an army, a squad, a conversion, or just a single epic model. A #theweeklypaint log is more fluid - anything you paint, from any system, for any army, for any reason, counts. What you paint matters far less than the fact that you're painting regularly, here.

I don't have time to paint every week, can I still join?

Of course! It's understood that people have school, jobs, loved ones, tournaments, and other interests that take up their time. While the obvious intent of #theweeklypaint is that you paint weekly, if you can only paint every other week, or once a month, or need to take off for a few months while you're on a business trip, sabbatical or military deployment in another country, do it! Don't let that stop you from participating when you do have time.

Can I post about Conversions I'm working on or Games I've played?

Sure! Your #theweeklypaint thread is first and foremost your person hobby log, and you're free to discuss any aspect of the hobby in it. As stated above, the goal is obviously to build regular painting as a habit, but we love to see those painted miniatures winning games too. As far as conversions go, that counts as hobby progress in my book - if you're working on a great conversion, share it!

That said, there are other boards here for posting Battle Reports, discussing army tactics, and sharing conversions. Feel free to 'double dip' and share what you're doing there too! (Specifically army- or game-related questions, you'll get better responses with a specific thread in the right board).

It's already well into the year, can I still start?

YES! I don't care if it's halfway through December, get started!
Professional Warhammer and Miniature Painting - visit Epic Duck Studios!
I'm NOT currently accepting Commissions. Sorry!
Follow @_EpicDuck on Twitter.

Great artists don't paint because they're inspired; they're inspired because they paint.

rollplayinggamer
MiniWarGaming Zealot
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting Pledges

Re: What is #theweeklypaint?

Post by rollplayinggamer » Thu Feb 26, 2015 3:32 am

Thanks for making this! A couple days ago i was going to PM you asking what the #theweeklypaint was.

But i didn't because I was going to PM you when i got my first box of wracks in. But now i'll jump right in and make a thread when i get them.

Amazon keeps changing my shipping dates though.. 23rd to 24th then 23rd to 26th then 26th to march 1st. THEN 23rd to march 3rd. So i've only a vague idea when it'll be here.
40k armies:
'Nids Hive Fleet Mantis 2000+ pts
Ork Goffs / Orks 1700+ pts
Ragnar Blackmane's Great Company 600+ pts

Epic Duck Mike
The Duckiest!
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Re: What is #theweeklypaint?

Post by Epic Duck Mike » Thu Feb 26, 2015 9:34 am

rollplayinggamer wrote:Thanks for making this!
No problem! We actually started the 2013 Weekly Paint with a similar topic, I just forgot to carry it forward. This one is now much more detailed, more of an FAQ I guess :)
rollplayinggamer wrote:Amazon keeps changing my shipping dates though.. 23rd to 24th then 23rd to 26th then 26th to march 1st. THEN 23rd to march 3rd. So i've only a vague idea when it'll be here.
They should just update your delivery date to Soon™
Professional Warhammer and Miniature Painting - visit Epic Duck Studios!
I'm NOT currently accepting Commissions. Sorry!
Follow @_EpicDuck on Twitter.

Great artists don't paint because they're inspired; they're inspired because they paint.