The Crimson King

All discussions for Warhammer 30k (i.e. Horus Heresy), including Pre-Heresy, Heresy, and Post-Heresy go here.
Koonitz
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting Pledges

The Crimson King

Post by Koonitz » Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:42 am

Armies:
40k: Knights Cynosure Iron Hands successor chapter, House Terryn Questor Imperialis, Thousand Sons/Tzeentch Daemons
30k: Thousand Sons
Age of Sigmar: Sylvaneth, Disciples of Tzeentch

NotAlpharius
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Re: The Crimson King

Post by NotAlpharius » Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:56 pm

The model seems slightly underwhelming. I don't know whether it is the stance, the slightly odd proportions (he seems too tall/thin?), or the less than inspiring magic swirl on the base. For the record I am not comparing this sculpt to the daemon Magnus, that would just be silly. It just seems to be lacking in something.

The other FW sculpts seem to capture the primarchs better: Curze is perched dynamically and menacingly; Horus has gravitas and a feeling of absolute command; Fulgrim and Ferrus are a great pair in the middle of combat, yet still dynamic on their own; Corax and Angron convey a sense of action and draw you into the moment; Both Lorgar and Guilliman are farily static but both feel like they hold a true sense of the majesty of the characters. Compared to these Magnus just seems to fall a little flat.
All generalizations are false.

Xlv7
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Post by Xlv7 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:24 pm

I have to respectfully disagree. I think this is my favorite primarch model with a close second to Leman Russ. Something about its simplicity yet I'm going to murder you with my mind really strikes a cord with me. However I can see where you think his proportions are off. The bare arms make him look a little to tall compared to his width he has no paldrons like the other primarchs. But I think that really suits Magnus as he really doesn't even need the armor considering he can just decide to phase out of reality whenever he wants. I wanted a better look at his weapon tho. I can't wait to own this model and place next to my other traitors Horus, Kurze and Perturabo.

Xlv7
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Post by Xlv7 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:24 pm

I have to respectfully disagree. I think this is my favorite primarch model with a close second to Leman Russ. Something about its simplicity yet I'm going to murder you with my mind really strikes a cord with me. However I can see where you think his proportions are off. The bare arms make him look a little to tall compared to his width he has no paldrons like the other primarchs. But I think that really suits Magnus as he really doesn't even need the armor considering he can just decide to phase out of reality whenever he wants. I wanted a better look at his weapon tho. I can't wait to own this model and place next to my other traitors Horus, Kurze and Perturabo.

Xlv7
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Post by Xlv7 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:25 pm

Sorry for the double post that was weird

Kovlovsky
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said

Post by Kovlovsky » Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:00 am

Xlv7 wrote:Sorry for the double post that was weird
You are allowed to delete your own posts whent that happens. No worries. :) You just have to put "Double post" as the reason for it.

As for Magnus, personally, I like it, but I agree that he's not as cool as he could have been. He looks a little too much like a statue I find. The fact he's not painted might accentuate it, but I feel his pose looks a bit too static even though they tried to suggest movement. It's a little like equestrians statues. They suggest movement, but they look static in the end. But there is something that I REALLY love about him: no boob horns. :D I've always found that quite ridiculous and it's cool that the sculptor chose to break away from like 10+ years of pictures showing him with them before, during and after the Heresy. My favorite current primarch sculpt is still Fulgrim with my second favorite being Mortarion for the time being. Maybe if I see Magnus painted up I will change my opinion.
Forum's NKVD Cpt. Kovlovsky

40k : 3945 points of Thousand Sons
380 pts of Tzeentch Daemons of Chaos

Thousand Sons WiP : http://www.miniwargaming.com/forum/view ... 6&t=114889

Fantasy : OnG

Guildenstern
Lost in the MiniWarGaming world...
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildWon 3 monthly Terrain Group BuildsHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by Guildenstern » Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:56 pm

So, I'm finding this a little weird - why did they already do another version of Magnus? After boob horn dude I mean? I know FW isn't GW, but still it seems like they talked at least. Anyway, just struck me as odd.

I do like this sculpt a lot better than the Boob dude that's for sure. I think it captures more his intellect (he needs more floating scrolls/books around him tho :P) and the movement thing doesn't really bother me so much. Otherwise they'd need to like show Magnus floating in the lotus position or something whilst meditating to capture his character I think.

I don't like a lot of the FW sculpts otherwise, never cared for the way they did Horus etc.

I like the arms on this one, I guess it makes him a little more human? and a little less Space marine. Anyway will be interesting to see it painted up
Dez: "PAINT FOR THE PAINT GODS, SPRUES FOR THE SPRUE THRONE!!"
Guildy's WIP thread (mostly Skaven)
Guildy's weeklypaint thread! (everything mostly not Skaven!)

Koonitz
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting Pledges

Post by Koonitz » Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:41 pm

Guildenstern wrote:So, I'm finding this a little weird - why did they already do another version of Magnus? After boob horn dude I mean? I know FW isn't GW, but still it seems like they talked at least. Anyway, just struck me as odd.
This is for Forge World's Horus Heresy character series, and for the Horus Heresy game. This is 30k's Magnus, before (or likely from this sculpt, exactly during) the burning of Prospero. The GW Magnus model is the 40k daemon Primarch, after 10,000 years of following Tzeentch.

For me, I can understand the design choice of removing the chest horns. With quite a few people complaining about the design and aesthetic of it, they likely made an artistic license choice to remove them. As for the arms, I like them. They do show off that he is less the fighter and more the scholar. His form is also more fluid than others and can often be subject to the observers interpretations.

Personally, I love some of the smaller details, like his grimoire under his arm. I'm also very interested in a shot from behind to see more details of his feathered cloak.
Armies:
40k: Knights Cynosure Iron Hands successor chapter, House Terryn Questor Imperialis, Thousand Sons/Tzeentch Daemons

MarkOfNotch
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Post by MarkOfNotch » Tue Apr 18, 2017 4:14 pm

Yes, I agree in that photo the proportions look a little off. But on a more positive note I think that they have done a great job of making parts of the model consistent with his later appearance in 40k as a Daemon Primarch while maintaining their own take on the character.
Alpha Legion, Power Level 147
World Eaters, Power Level 96
Khorne Daemons, Power Level 30

Guildenstern
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildWon 3 monthly Terrain Group BuildsHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by Guildenstern » Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:50 pm

Koonitz wrote: This is for Forge World's Horus Heresy character series, and for the Horus Heresy game. This is 30k's Magnus, before (or likely from this sculpt, exactly during) the burning of Prospero. The GW Magnus model is the 40k daemon Primarch, after 10,000 years of following Tzeentch.
Ahhh I didn't realize it was playable in 30k either, that makes more sense. I kinda thought the whole character series was just for display models lol Very cool though. Makes the 40k Magnus make more sense as well!

Koonitz

Post by Koonitz » Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:40 am

Guildenstern wrote:
Koonitz wrote: This is for Forge World's Horus Heresy character series, and for the Horus Heresy game. This is 30k's Magnus, before (or likely from this sculpt, exactly during) the burning of Prospero. The GW Magnus model is the 40k daemon Primarch, after 10,000 years of following Tzeentch.
Ahhh I didn't realize it was playable in 30k either, that makes more sense. I kinda thought the whole character series was just for display models lol Very cool though. Makes the 40k Magnus make more sense as well!
Most Primarchs have rules (there are only a couple that haven't been released yet, though there are also a couple that have, but have no models as of yet). They're even better than the current 40k Guilliman rules. :P Mainly 'cause they aren't monstrous creatures and, therefore, can get inside vehicles. They're also all flavourful and fun to play (those that currently have rules). I'm looking forward to getting Magnus.
Armies:

Guildenstern

Post by Guildenstern » Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:51 am

See I'm a Luna Wolf fan, but before Isstvaan lol so I'm not horribly keen on the Horus they made :( Anyway good to know (again!) I'm hoping they do Mortarion... I may have to pick him up if they do!