30k noob - Where to start?

All discussions for Warhammer 30k (i.e. Horus Heresy), including Pre-Heresy, Heresy, and Post-Heresy go here.
Luxey
Silver Vault Member

30k noob - Where to start?

Post by Luxey » Tue Apr 11, 2017 2:23 am

Hey everyone,

Kind of a really really dumb question, but what should I start with in regards to trying to get all the rules, manuals, references, etc. needed to work on getting into playing 30k?

I know it needs the latest 40k rules, and I've got those books. However, Forge World isn't very clear with what book is the base 30k "rules" and which books(s) are the army lists/codices...

Hopefully all you experienced 30k people can help me. I've read some of the HH books and love the story. I'm considering making a World Eaters army eventually, but I want to get all the books, etc I'd need first.

Wyrst
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot

Re: 30k noob - Where to start?

Post by Wyrst » Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:11 am

Right, so the regular rules are just 7th Edition (for now) Warhammer 40k. So you should be good in that regard. It will be interesting to see what happens come 8th edition but if you know how to play 40k, you know how to play 30k.

The Horus Heresy features two dinstinct series of books. On the one hand you have the big, heavy black books or campaign books. These contain fluff, heraldry, missions, campaigns and similar things in addition to game rules. There's a whole series of them and they're incredibly expensive so unless you enjoy buying and reading books like that, skip these. On the other hand, you have your so-called 'red books' which contain only the bare rules. You won't find many pictures or maps or fluff here but they're cheap and more easily carried. They're real gaming books and get updated every couple of years it seems, much like a codex would.

So, for your regular Space Marine legion rules you always get this:
https://www.forgeworld.co.uk/en-NL/The- ... -Army-List

It contains all the entries for non-legion specific units, Rites of War, weapon profiles, Warlord Traits and the like. No matter what legion you pick, you'll need this no matter what Space Marine legion you decide to play. It will also instruct you as to how to field an 'Age of Darkness' army (which is your regular) army alongside all the restrictions.

If you're wanting to play World Eaters, then get this book as well:
https://www.forgeworld.co.uk/en-NL/The- ... ss-Legions

It's the book that contains all the legions that have been fully released up until now bar Space Wolves and Thousand Sons. This should probably see an update in about a year or so but it's still good to have. It has legion-specific Rites of War, Primarchs, specific units and weapons. I should note that, in addition to the Thousand Sons and Space Wolves, you also will not find the basic rules for the White Scars, Dark Angels or Blood Angels in here. These legions have not been fully fleshed out but given some rules to tide their players over until they get their own big release in the next campaign book. For now, you can find these rules in campaign book VI 'Retribution' should you care.

That should get you going for a Legiones Astartes army.

Other branches of the Imperium have also recieved their own books namely the Mechanicum and Crusade Imperialis (Guard-esque) armies. These also have their own books which you could find on the FW website as well.

Luxey
Silver Vault Member

Post by Luxey » Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:40 am

Let's see if I've understood all this correctly...

The Astartes Army List is the FW book that is the "basic rules" for 30k, which includes any conversions from the basic 40k rules, all the basic unit profiles, weapons profiles, warlord traits, etc. This book is the minimum I need to start understanding 30k.

Then, since I do want a World Eaters force, I'll need to get the Astartes Legions book, which is all the specific unit profiles, weapons profiles, vehicle details, etc. for each Legion minus a few specific ones that are still being worked on. This is the equivalent, I guess, of a 40k codex since it has all the details of the specific forces the Legions use.

I think I understand that. If I've got something wrong, please let me know.

Wyrst
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot

Post by Wyrst » Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:58 am

You nailed it.

The first book is the basic rules for only the Legiones Astartes but seeing as the majority of the 30k players use a Space Marine legion, it might as well be the basic rules.

If you were to start playing Mechanicum for example, you wouldn't need it as all the required rules and profiles would be in that book.

Solestrek
Now we're getting somewhere...

Post by Solestrek » Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:36 am

I'm a chipmunk member, I'm delighted to receive great news.

Solestrek
Now we're getting somewhere...

Post by Solestrek » Thu Aug 10, 2017 4:10 am

Well enough to know that I can get insights on this through the channels.

Tibour
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Post by Tibour » Sat Aug 12, 2017 1:23 pm

This is the kinda of thing that should be pinned. I was also wondering about this very subject. Having recently returned to 40k with 8th myself.