Iron Warriors - 67th Grand Battalion!

All discussions for Warhammer 30k (i.e. Horus Heresy), including Pre-Heresy, Heresy, and Post-Heresy go here.
Warsmith-Zarrix
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Iron Warriors - 67th Grand Battalion!

Post by Warsmith-Zarrix » Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:59 am

Hey everyone! I watched a lot of MiniWar Gaming's Battle Reports on YouTube and decided to actually make an account on here so I can get some more information!

Anyways, yes I am planning to start an Pre-Heresy Iron Warriors Army(that MAY get bled into the 41st), and I could use some suggestions and answers to certain questions.

To start it off, I am planning on personally designing my Warsmith / Siege-Breaker. With the Betrayal of Calth Box Set, I was planning on using one of the Legion Terminators to signify as my army's leader. Gonna give him a silver painted skull on to the belt and try to find a way to give him a cape. But, I was wondering, CAN a Warsmith be classified as a Siege-Breaker? And I am planning on arming him with duel lightning claws, so is there a way for him to somehow arming it with a range weapon or would that be a negative?

Unit Wise, I am planning on using these:
1 Legion Warsmith - Siege Breaker wearing Catapratchtii Terminator Armor, armed with Lightning Claws.
6 Squads of 10 Mark III Space Marines (Each with a Heavy Bolter)
3 Squads of 10 Mark IV Space Marines(Each with a Rocket Launcher)
1 Squad of 4(maybe more, if I get the money for it) Cataprachtii Terminators.
2 Squads of 5 Tartaros Terminators.
2 Contemptor Dreadnoughts (Should I arm them both with an Assault Cannon, or arm one with the Melta?)
6 Deimos Rhinos.
1 Leviathan Dreadnought with Siege Claw and Drill.
2 Dedereo Dreadnoughts with Auto-Cannons.
2 Legion Medusas.
1 Legion Basilisk.
1 Legion Deimos Pattern Whirlwind Scorpius.
4 Squads of Mark III Breachers.
3 Rapier Quad Mortars.
1 Mastodon.
2 Legion Glaives.
2 Scimitar Pattern Jetbikes.
1 Squad of 10 Mark II Assault Marines.
1 Squad of 10 Heavy Support with Rocket Launchers.
1 Thunderhawk Gunship
1 Legio Titanicus Titan Maniple.
1 Mark III Command Set.
1 Legion Champion and Master of Signal(Mostly for the Signal guy)

Again, this is just a list of what I'm planning and will be an overtime type thing. Any suggestions? Anything I should replace with on the list? I'd like to hear some feedback!

If anyone want a visual look at what I am planning, I have a link to BOTH list (Games Workshop is where I'm getting my primary Infantry, and Forge World for the other stuff).
Last edited by Warsmith-Zarrix on Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SpartanMyth
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting Pledges

Re: Iron Warriors - 67th Grand Battalion!

Post by SpartanMyth » Fri Mar 24, 2017 5:27 am

The warsmith and siegebreaker are two separate unit entries former being a praetor upgrade the latter a consol.

If you use the dual claws I don't believe you can have a ranged weapon except for a grenade launcher for the former or phospex bombs for the latter which aren't terrible choices.

I assume your tacticals will be veteran squads as the standards in 30k are only allowed bolters unlike their 40k counterparts but worth modelling spares for if you decided to cross over.

In regards to your terminators I'd always recommend at least one preferably two chainfists otherwise if a dreadnought hits that unit you'll have a bad day and you may struggle against 2+ or mechanicum. Have you also considered tyrant siege terminators? They are arguably one of the best units in the heresy for what they do and combined with a siege breaker they can really threaten most vehicles in the game.

With the dreads if you're willing to do a little converting make one a Morris with dual assault cannon for AA and the other a dual combat arm dread. Gives you some options.

Looks like you'll have a decent pool to choose an army from though it does appear to miss out Perturabo;)
My WIP. Please comment as they help my motivation :) http://www.miniwargaming.com/forum/view ... 26&t=77583

6th Edition tally
Orks: Win 11 Loss 1 Draw 0

Chaos Space Marines: Win 13 Loss 4 Draw 0

MetalNids
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Post by MetalNids » Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:14 am

Quite an ambitious list.

As said before, Warsmith and Siege Breaker are 2 different HQ units, so you can't double dip with one model.

Not sure the purpose of the 6 Damocles Rhino's. I know what they do, just not seeing why 6 of them. Get 1 or 2, then a few regular rhinos to help move the tactical marines up the field. Putting them in a Mastodon is nice, but you literally have all your eggs in one basket. And you will need to be in multiple places at the same time to take/hold objectives, so having more transports is nice to have.

Invest in 10 Iron Havocs with Missile Launchers and 10 with Autocannons. They both have Tank Hunter, and the missile launchers get flak missiles, so that even more anti-air and the ability to take out just about any armor on the board. These guys will provide some awesome cover fire while everyone else moves up the battle field.

Tyrant Siege Terminators with a Siege Breaker in terminator armor in a Spartan, or walking up the board, it tough to beat. Couple chain fists for upclose personal work on armor, and you have a great unit.

You will need Landraider's to transport the Terminators, unless you walk them up the field.

The quad mortars are nice, but i have had more success with just 3 rapiers with the standard heavy bolter's.

Get another Basilisk. With the exception of a couple units, everything is pretty much limited to 36inch range. So having that extra long range to soften up the enemy comes in handy.

Get drop pods for the Dreads. They can take a drop pod as a transport without using the Orbital Assault Right of War. I have been using 1 legion dread with the flamestorm cannon, chainfist/heavy flamer combo this way. Drops in close to the enemy and flames them twice, then next turn charges in and wreaks havoc. I might try it with a Contemptor with dual assault cannon, see how that works out.

And with all that said......pick your core units you want to start with, then get the others. No sense buying a Glaive if you will hardly ever use it. While it might look impressive on the shelf, its still on the shelf and not on the battle field.
I play the following Warhammer 40K armies:
Bugs
CSM
Harlequins
Cult Mechanicus
Chaos Demons

Kovlovsky
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said

Post by Kovlovsky » Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:16 am

Tactical Veterans squads can have 2 special or heavy weapons, so I would try having 2 in each squad if you're going for them. Heavy Bolters get special ammunition for free with Iron Warriors, but I would rather use Rapiers with Quad Heavy Bolters for that and give your veterans a weapon with more punch like plasma guns or meltaguns. Remember that you have to use either the Pride of the Legion or the Primarch's Chosen (or something like that) RoWs (Rite of Wars)to make them troop choices, so it can of limit you in the RoW department.

If I was you, I wouldn't underestimate the value of having 20 strong tactical squads with extra close combat weapons and with apothecaries attached to them. They are amazing for board control, multipurpose and they can have surprisingly devastating firepower if you manage to do a Fury of the Legion attack since it doubles their shots with either your bolters or bolt pistols if you haven't moved during this turn movement phase. Your Hammer of Olympia RoW also allow you to make a disordered charge after firing with rapid fire weapons, so they work well with it. So, I would add apothecaries to your to buy list.

Breachers can have 1 special weapons for each 5 of them. You should give them meltaguns or graviton guns if you like them (graviton guns are very different to 40k grav guns and have fairly weird mechanics. They are Haywire though, which is powerful).

Also, follow Spartan Myth and get Tyrant Siege Terminators. You will have to kit bash them by using Contemptor Dread's Cyclone missile launchers pods, but they are amazing with a Siege Breaker. Also, follow Metal Nid's advice and take Iron Havocs because they are way way superior to normal Heavy Support Squads. Also, take Perturabo at some point. He's very good and even if you play a Grand Battalion, you will sometimes want the big guy at the head of it. Amongst other things, he gives all your terminators the ability to deep strike which is something you will want to do sometimes. Ah and terminators minimum squad size is 5, so you can't play with only 4 Cataphractii Terminators.

Another thing you might want to try is giving a Cortex controller to your Warsmith and use it to control a unit of Mechanicum Thallax or Castellax robots. They are very powerful and extremely fluffy for the Iron Warriors.

Lastly, as far as I know, Legion Glaive cannot be fielded in squadrons and one will take your only Lord of War slot. So having two is basically useless although the model is fantastic and that I love it. It's a really strong vehicle and particularly shines against infantry and monstrous creatures. It's the perfect tool for killing the Mechanicum.
Forum's NKVD Cpt. Kovlovsky

40k : 3945 points of Thousand Sons
380 pts of Tzeentch Daemons of Chaos

Thousand Sons WiP : http://www.miniwargaming.com/forum/view ... 6&t=114889

Fantasy : OnG

Warsmith-Zarrix
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Post by Warsmith-Zarrix » Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:52 pm

Awesome! I will make a note of all these suggestions!

So, with my HQ choice, I have to make it a Warsmith, due to the type of backstory I'm planning and all of that. Any suggestions on how I should do the cape? And which would be easier, attempting some chain-link style or just a regular red cape style? The ones I have wouldn't fit the Cataprachtii Model so I have to think of something to mold or see if there is something offered I can kit-bash with.

Also, adding that the Cataprachtii Terminator Bodyguard being bumped up to five, would arming them with a lightning claw in their left hands but carrying right handed bolters, be alright?

Warsmith-Zarrix
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Post by Warsmith-Zarrix » Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:22 pm

MetalNids wrote:Quite an ambitious list.

As said before, Warsmith and Siege Breaker are 2 different HQ units, so you can't double dip with one model.

Not sure the purpose of the 6 Damocles Rhino's. I know what they do, just not seeing why 6 of them. Get 1 or 2, then a few regular rhinos to help move the tactical marines up the field. Putting them in a Mastodon is nice, but you literally have all your eggs in one basket. And you will need to be in multiple places at the same time to take/hold objectives, so having more transports is nice to have.

Invest in 10 Iron Havocs with Missile Launchers and 10 with Autocannons. They both have Tank Hunter, and the missile launchers get flak missiles, so that even more anti-air and the ability to take out just about any armor on the board. These guys will provide some awesome cover fire while everyone else moves up the battle field.

Tyrant Siege Terminators with a Siege Breaker in terminator armor in a Spartan, or walking up the board, it tough to beat. Couple chain fists for upclose personal work on armor, and you have a great unit.

You will need Landraider's to transport the Terminators, unless you walk them up the field.

The quad mortars are nice, but i have had more success with just 3 rapiers with the standard heavy bolter's.

Get another Basilisk. With the exception of a couple units, everything is pretty much limited to 36inch range. So having that extra long range to soften up the enemy comes in handy.

Get drop pods for the Dreads. They can take a drop pod as a transport without using the Orbital Assault Right of War. I have been using 1 legion dread with the flamestorm cannon, chainfist/heavy flamer combo this way. Drops in close to the enemy and flames them twice, then next turn charges in and wreaks havoc. I might try it with a Contemptor with dual assault cannon, see how that works out.

And with all that said......pick your core units you want to start with, then get the others. No sense buying a Glaive if you will hardly ever use it. While it might look impressive on the shelf, its still on the shelf and not on the battle field.
The Mastodan is actually for my Terminator Squads, the Infantry are being placed in Rhinos (from what I understand, the Damocles Rhino is the standard Rhino in HH).

As for the Iron Havocs, that is what I'm planning on officially calling my Heavy Support, giving them all Missile Launchers and what not to give them a better edge against heavier unit.

For the Tyrants, I didn't know how to build them, but thanks to another post I managed to figure that one out xD didn't know you had to use the Contemptor's missile launcher for that.

Ok, two Basilisks instead of one, need to mark it down as two.

I watched several games with the Quads, and liked how well they could devastate an opponent's forces, I did see the draw backs of them but liked the fluffiness they gave haha.

What pattern of Drop Pod am I allowed to use? Or can I just take one from 40k and claim it as a HH drop pod? The Morris is a good idea, and was thinking about doing it with a Iron Warriors Legion Contemptor.

Should I use a Mastodan? Or would you getting a different super heavy to act as a command vehicle. A friend said I could revamp a Shadowsword and claim it to be a legion one x.x but, figured it'd be better with a Banesword kitted up a bit for that.

MarkOfNotch
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Post by MarkOfNotch » Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:56 am

the Infantry are being placed in Rhinos (from what I understand, the Damocles Rhino is the standard Rhino in HH).
The Deimos Pattern Rhino is the standard Rhino, the Damocles is an HQ choice that gives bonuses to deep striking and reserve rolls as well as giving access to an orbital bombardment. Damocles might be a good choice for Iron Warriors in some situations though- and to be fair, you're going to have everything else... In terms of Contemptors, the Contemptor Mortis with two assault cannons seems like a good choice for a sit-back and shoot type army. Although if you're bringing Deredeos maybe you have that base covered anyway.

Other than that, thats a lot of resin... man is that a lot of resin!
Alpha Legion, Power Level 147
World Eaters, Power Level 96
Khorne Daemons, Power Level 30

Warsmith-Zarrix
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Post by Warsmith-Zarrix » Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:50 pm

MarkOfNotch wrote:
the Infantry are being placed in Rhinos (from what I understand, the Damocles Rhino is the standard Rhino in HH).
The Deimos Pattern Rhino is the standard Rhino, the Damocles is an HQ choice that gives bonuses to deep striking and reserve rolls as well as giving access to an orbital bombardment. Damocles might be a good choice for Iron Warriors in some situations though- and to be fair, you're going to have everything else... In terms of Contemptors, the Contemptor Mortis with two assault cannons seems like a good choice for a sit-back and shoot type army. Although if you're bringing Deredeos maybe you have that base covered anyway.

Other than that, thats a lot of resin... man is that a lot of resin!
Yeah, that was accidental with the Rhino xD I was listening to one of the HH Iron Warriors battle while typing that and just NOW realized what just happened... Man, that's bad.

I have to agree, that is a lot of resin. But hey, that resin means "OMG RUUUUUN!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Warsmith-Zarrix
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Post by Warsmith-Zarrix » Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:25 pm

SpartanMyth wrote:The warsmith and siegebreaker are two separate unit entries former being a praetor upgrade the latter a consol.

If you use the dual claws I don't believe you can have a ranged weapon except for a grenade launcher for the former or phospex bombs for the latter which aren't terrible choices.

I assume your tacticals will be veteran squads as the standards in 30k are only allowed bolters unlike their 40k counterparts but worth modelling spares for if you decided to cross over.

In regards to your terminators I'd always recommend at least one preferably two chainfists otherwise if a dreadnought hits that unit you'll have a bad day and you may struggle against 2+ or mechanicum. Have you also considered tyrant siege terminators? They are arguably one of the best units in the heresy for what they do and combined with a siege breaker they can really threaten most vehicles in the game.

With the dreads if you're willing to do a little converting make one a Morris with dual assault cannon for AA and the other a dual combat arm dread. Gives you some options.

Looks like you'll have a decent pool to choose an army from though it does appear to miss out Perturabo;)

I have a question, when it comes to Iron Havocs... Can some have rocket launchers and the others have heavy bolters? And can some be in Maximus while others are wearing Iron?

Kovlovsky

Post by Kovlovsky » Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:23 pm

Iron Havocs can have different weapons in the same squad, yes. It's one of the things that make them different of the ordinary Legion Heavy Support squads.

I'm not sure about what you mean in the second part of the question. Is it a question about the power armor marks? If it is the case, here is the answer: you can model them how you want. I believe it's frequent that different marks of armor are present in the same unit since there maybe transfers of marines between units or simply that the new models are in short supply, etc.

Koonitz
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting Pledges

Post by Koonitz » Fri Mar 31, 2017 12:28 am

Kovlovsky wrote:I'm not sure about what you mean in the second part of the question. Is it a question about the power armor marks? If it is the case, here is the answer: you can model them how you want. I believe it's frequent that different marks of armor are present in the same unit since there maybe transfers of marines between units or simply that the new models are in short supply, etc.
This is true. I do not believe there are any RULES variation in the different marks of regular power armour, only in the different marks of Terminator armour (Regular, Tartaros, Cataphractii). As such, yes, you can have a model with Maximus armour in a squad with Iron, as there is no rules difference, nor any distinction, as it just says they have "power armour".

The only known power armour based special rule I can think of off the top of my head is that Breacher Squads have hardened armour (which actually has no bearing on the mark of armour they wear), and traditionally tend to be equipped with Mk III armour, due to its focus on front facing heavier armour plates (leaving the rear plates weaker and lighter). Cinematically, it looks much cooler to model breacher squads with Mk III armour, however there is no strict requirement to do so.
Armies:
40k: Knights Cynosure Iron Hands successor chapter, House Terryn Questor Imperialis, Thousand Sons/Tzeentch Daemons
30k: Thousand Sons
Age of Sigmar: Sylvaneth, Disciples of Tzeentch

Kovlovsky

Post by Kovlovsky » Fri Mar 31, 2017 2:59 pm

FW just announced through an email that there are Tyrant Siege Terminators that are in pre-purchase. You won't have to convert your own. :) https://www.forgeworld.co.uk/en-CA/The- ... id=4273568

Warsmith-Zarrix
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Post by Warsmith-Zarrix » Sun Apr 02, 2017 1:58 am

Kovlovsky wrote:FW just announced through an email that there are Tyrant Siege Terminators that are in pre-purchase. You won't have to convert your own. :) https://www.forgeworld.co.uk/en-CA/The- ... id=4273568

Yeah, I saw that too xD so, question... What do you think for the command vehicle then? Mastodon, Fell Glaive, Fellblade, or possibly a revamped Legion Shadowsword? O.o Been trying to figure this one for a while now haha

Kovlovsky

Post by Kovlovsky » Sun Apr 02, 2017 2:31 am

Since you are going to bring Perturabo, why not make the Tormentor, his personnal Shadow Sword? It can only be taken in games of 3000+ pts, but it's pretty interesting. It's a Shadow Sword with a Void Shield, the Command Tank upgrade and a transport capacity of 15. Not bad especially since it doesn't take a Lord of War slot. It's 500 pts though and you have to field Perturabo with it :D . Otherwise, I'm a fan of the Fellblade. It looks pretty great and it has a lot of punch both against tanks and infantry (I actually prefer the Glaive, but it sadly cannot be upgraded as a command tank).

Warsmith-Zarrix
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Post by Warsmith-Zarrix » Sun Apr 02, 2017 3:16 am

Kovlovsky wrote:Since you are going to bring Perturabo, why not make the Tormentor, his personnal Shadow Sword? It can only be taken in games of 3000+ pts, but it's pretty interesting. It's a Shadow Sword with a Void Shield, the Command Tank upgrade and a transport capacity of 15. Not bad especially since it doesn't take a Lord of War slot. It's 500 pts though and you have to field Perturabo with it :D . Otherwise, I'm a fan of the Fellblade. It looks pretty great and it has a lot of punch both against tanks and infantry (I actually prefer the Glaive, but it sadly cannot be upgraded as a command tank).

Because I won't be always fielding Perturabo xD only in certain games. Otherwise, my commander will be the Warsmith, with a Master of Signal and a Siege-Breaker. So, I'll need a command vehicle for him and his squad of Terminator Bodyguard. A friend suggested the Mastodon because of its massive carrying capacity and the fact it acts as the perfect assault ram. But, being Iron Warriors, having a long range siege tank also seemed like a choice. I was even suggested to possibly take a Legion Falchion, but I couldn't really make sense of HOW they had that sucker in their Grand Battalion.