Starting Death Guard

All discussions for Warhammer 30k (i.e. Horus Heresy), including Pre-Heresy, Heresy, and Post-Heresy go here.
barnabykelly18
Silver Vault Member

Starting Death Guard

Post by barnabykelly18 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 6:44 am

Hi, I have ordered to of the Betrayal at Calth boxes and am going to make them Death Guard. I'm thinking 2 Big Tactical Squad and 2 Small Heavy Support squads With maybe 1 squad of veterans would this be a good place to start with the basic marines?

Wyrst
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot

Re: Starting Death Guard

Post by Wyrst » Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:25 pm

Funny, I was just discussing this with a mate the other day.

Big squads seem to be the way to go with the Death Guard. Consider 20-man squads with Apothecaries in them. Depending on your Rite of War, you'll have a wall of dudes just moving up. If you're running The Reaping, you'll definitely want some heavy support squads with lascannons or autocannons or missile launchers. Something with a punch. Veterans are nice but only if you have a very specific goal for them. It's easy to run out of Elite Slots. I wouldn't worry about those just yet as it all depends on what the rest of your army will look like.

Kovlovsky
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said

Post by Kovlovsky » Wed Mar 15, 2017 5:29 pm

I believe the Veterans are considered troop choices in The Reaping RoW, so you will probably not run out of slots any time soon. :wink:

Also, my friend is playing the DG and their special terminators are pretty darn good if you can put your hands on them. The power scythes are also excellent weapons.
Forum's NKVD Cpt. Kovlovsky

40k : 3945 points of Thousand Sons
380 pts of Tzeentch Daemons of Chaos

Thousand Sons WiP : http://www.miniwargaming.com/forum/view ... 6&t=114889

Fantasy : OnG

barnabykelly18
Silver Vault Member

Post by barnabykelly18 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 6:31 pm

I was thinking to run it as the reaping. So heavy and veteran count as troops. Not sure weather to run 1 small or 2 big of the Terminators. with the 4 elite slots I should be ok with either as i will only have 2 dreds as elites, the only upgrades I am looking at outside of the boxed game at the moment is some scythes. I am thing 2 fully tooled out tactical squads 20 man with close combat weapons sargents with scythes and artificer armor.

Wyrst

Post by Wyrst » Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:36 am

The Reaping is an awesome RoW of war so go ahead and get nasty heavy squads in there. Also, don't forget to bring melta bombs on your Sergeants. ;) Vexilla's might be nice too just to get even more control over your morale.

barnabykelly18
Silver Vault Member

Post by barnabykelly18 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:18 am

How does furious charge, power weapons and rand grenades sound on the veterans?
1 Squad of Missiles is a given, Should i do plasma guns or heavy bolters on the others?

Kovlovsky

Post by Kovlovsky » Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:56 am

barnabykelly18 wrote:How does furious charge, power weapons and rand grenades sound on the veterans?
In the Reaping, you should take as many rad grenades as you can. They're so good and the DG will often be in CC, so they will give you an advantage. However, I have to admit that I rarely use elite CC units in power armor with CSMs because Chosen just cost too much with power weapons and die too easily. It's cheaper in HH and you get some special rules to make them better, so it might work. In the end, if you like the idea, you can try it. Personally, I believe that your special terminators with scythes and two wounds would be enough for pure CC with the ones with chemical grenade launchers in support. I prefer to make the Veterans shooty myself.
barnabykelly18 wrote:1 Squad of Missiles is a given, Should i do plasma guns or heavy bolters on the others?
Missile launchers are solid, plasma cannons are powerful against heavy infantry although expensive, but heavy bolters are quite bad and are only a good choice with the Iron Warriors because they get special ammunition for free. Take autocannons or Volkite Calivers instead. They fullfill the same role only in much much better. Depending of what antitank you bring in the army, lascannons could be a solid choice too. Tanks are scary in HH.

Wyrst

Post by Wyrst » Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:34 pm

barnabykelly18 wrote:How does furious charge, power weapons and rand grenades sound on the veterans?
1 Squad of Missiles is a given, Should i do plasma guns or heavy bolters on the others?
Sounds like you're working with an older rule book. Furious Charge is no longer an option for Veteran Squads.

barnabykelly18
Silver Vault Member

Post by barnabykelly18 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:53 am

Put together a list, how's it looking?

HQ
Legion Praetor [150pts]
Artificer Armour, Iron Halo, Paragon Blade

Elites

Apothecarion Detachment [120pts]
Legion Apothecary
Additional Wargear
Artificer Armour, Augury Scanner, Chainsword/Combat Blade
Legion Apothecary
Additional Wargear
Artificer Armour, Augury Scanner, Chainsword/Combat Blade

Contemptor Dreadnought Talon [380pts]
Legion Contemptor Dreadnought
Dreadnought Close Combat Weapon with inbuilt twin-linked Bolter, Kheres Pattern Assault Cannons
Legion Contemptor Dreadnought
Dreadnought Close Combat Weapon with inbuilt twin-linked Bolter, Kheres Pattern Assault Cannons

Legion Terminator Squad [405pts]
Cataphractii Terminator Armour with Combi-bolter and Power Weapon, 2x Heavy Flamer, 9x Legion Terminators, 9x Power Fist
Legion Terminator Sergeant
Power Scythe, Rad Grenades

Troops

Legion Heavy Support Squad [165pts]
4x Legion Space Marines, Missile Launcher
Legion Sergeant
Augury Scanner

Legion Tactical Squad [300pts]
19x Legion Tactical Space Marines
Additional Wargear
Additional Chainswords/Combat Blades, Bolters
Legion Tactical Sergeant
Artificer Armour, Bolter, Power Scythe, Rad Grenades

Legion Tactical Squad [300pts]
19x Legion Tactical Space Marines
Additional Wargear
Additional Chainswords/Combat Blades, Bolters
Legion Tactical Sergeant
Artificer Armour, Bolter, Power Scythe, Rad Grenades

Legion Tactical Support Squad [175pts]
4x Legion Space Marines
Entire Squad may exchange their Flamers for:
Plasma gun
Legion Sergeant
Bolt Pistol

Legiones Astartes
XIV: Death Guard, Traitor
Rite of War
The Reaping

Wyrst

Post by Wyrst » Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:11 pm

You're woefully unprepared for any kind of real armour I'm afraid.

I'd either get some lascannons in there or some chainfists. Preferably both.

Kovlovsky

Post by Kovlovsky » Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:33 pm

I have the same opinion than Wyrst here. I always try to have 1 chainfist for every five terminators. Either Lascannons on the Heavy Support Squad or meltaguns on the Tactical Support Squad would be necessary.

barnabykelly18
Silver Vault Member

Post by barnabykelly18 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:43 pm

I can switch the plasma for melta and swap out some sargent artificer armour for chain fists, would 2 or 4 chain fists be a better option?

Wyrst

Post by Wyrst » Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:44 pm

I'd definitely go with four. From what I've seen, overkill is rarely a thing in 30k. Personally, I would probably drop the Heavy Flamers on your Cataphractii. Without a transport (or Rite of War that allows them to deepstrike) they're not going to be doing much for you.