Building Thousand Sons list 30k

All discussions for Warhammer 30k (i.e. Horus Heresy), including Pre-Heresy, Heresy, and Post-Heresy go here.
Ursarker
Now we're getting somewhere...

Building Thousand Sons list 30k

Post by Ursarker » Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:45 am

Loving the content and all the battle reports especially all of the Horus Heresy. But I have become stumped trying to make a good 3500 point to 4000 point list for Thousand Sons list using my proxy Magnus as it's warlord. It's a standard list with max of 1 super heavy allowed. What would be the best way to create a thousand son legion or make it a fun winnable list?

Koonitz
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting Pledges

Re: Building Thousand Sons list 30k

Post by Koonitz » Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:22 pm

Ursarker wrote:Loving the content and all the battle reports especially all of the Horus Heresy. But I have become stumped trying to make a good 3500 point to 4000 point list for Thousand Sons list using my proxy Magnus as it's warlord. It's a standard list with max of 1 super heavy allowed. What would be the best way to create a thousand son legion or make it a fun winnable list?
While I can't make much in the way of suggestions, considering I've only recently gotten my own Inferno book, I would like to point out that unless you use the specific Rite of War allowing Magnus to be taken as an HQ choice, he does count as a Lord of War (being a Primarch). As the force org chart only allows one Lord of War, you would be required to take either Magnus OR one Super-heavy. Thought I'd make sure, considering your wording seemed to imply taking both Magnus and a super heavy.

I would recommend watching some of the 30k batreps here on MiniWarGaming to get a feel for some general lists and decent popular choices, which you can then make some custom tweaks to make one for Thousand Sons.
Armies:
40k: Knights Cynosure Iron Hands successor chapter, House Terryn Questor Imperialis, Thousand Sons/Tzeentch Daemons
30k: Thousand Sons
Age of Sigmar: Sylvaneth, Disciples of Tzeentch

Ursarker

Post by Ursarker » Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:20 am

Yes taking Magnus as a HQ using the ROW in Inferno, as well as taking a super heavy choice. I was deciding what a good super heavy choice would be, I see Steve runs the Tormentor which is interesting but I don't know if it's to many points to spend or go toward a cheaper point unit or just skip using one. But in a general build list for Thousand Sons what would be a good way to pump up the warp charges and protect them. I also bring a Spartan in most 30k games but that is all I can figure out is using Magnus and a spartan and being stuck using those Cabal Terminators or should should I possibly go the with a differnt ROW in general or none at all?

Koonitz
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting Pledges

Post by Koonitz » Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:44 am

Ursarker wrote:Yes taking Magnus as a HQ using the ROW in Inferno, as well as taking a super heavy choice. I was deciding what a good super heavy choice would be, I see Steve runs the Tormentor which is interesting but I don't know if it's to many points to spend or go toward a cheaper point unit or just skip using one. But in a general build list for Thousand Sons what would be a good way to pump up the warp charges and protect them. I also bring a Spartan in most 30k games but that is all I can figure out is using Magnus and a spartan and being stuck using those Cabal Terminators or should should I possibly go the with a differnt ROW in general or none at all?
Tough call, as I haven't actually played a game of 30k, let alone with Thousand Sons, though I suspect a multiple smaller squads of brotherhood of psyker models would be the best way to increase your warp charge count. You're limited in the number of ICs you can bring as they seem to be largely limited to HQ slots, though I'd recommend filling your second HQ slot with a psyker of choice due to the penalty of losing your ICs. Whether you want to spend the extra points to bring Ahriman, Amon, or a buffed Praetor, or just bring a smaller Centurion Consul upgraded to be a psyker would be up to you.

As for the LoW, I feel that the choice shouldn't be based on "What's best". Something like a centerpiece super-heavy should always be based on what you like. Though this is a personal opinion. Those who play in a competitive meta where rules and power are more important than fluff may want to disregard this opinion. Personally, I intend to have a Legion Glaive because I absolutely love the look of the volkite tank turrets and have wanted one since it was first introduced. Since volkite was never introduced in 40k, I never could until I started a 30k army. I have also seen the Typhon be a consistent popular choice on the competitive side due to its' high strength, low AP and ignores cover. I think you will want to weigh carefully your choice, as super-heavies are not cheap, either financially or points-wise, and you will want to make a choice you will not regret.
Armies:
40k: Knights Cynosure Iron Hands successor chapter, House Terryn Questor Imperialis, Thousand Sons/Tzeentch Daemons
30k: Thousand Sons
Age of Sigmar: Sylvaneth, Disciples of Tzeentch

Ursarker

Post by Ursarker » Thu Mar 30, 2017 2:21 am

I ran a Glaive for the first time and my opponents were scared for sure it gave me a lot of domination with their movement. I like the idea of running multiple low cost squads as Psykers or maybe bring more veterans as well as normal terminators since I have large amounts of them I am starting to be iffy about running this RoW being so constrictive on bringing those Cabal Terminators. I'm just not sure which RoW to pick to best support my legion and I like fluffy armies so any fluff ideas are great with me