Could you use women's make up as weathering powder?

All discussions for Warhammer 30k (i.e. Horus Heresy), including Pre-Heresy, Heresy, and Post-Heresy go here.
SalamanderSGT-1
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Could you use women's make up as weathering powder?

Post by SalamanderSGT-1 » Mon Dec 19, 2016 6:45 pm

I'm starting to focus more on weathering my models and I was just wondering if you could you use women's make up as weathering powder?
We March for Nocturne, AND WE SHALL KNOW NO FEAR.
FOR THE EMPEROR!!!!!

genso6
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 10 Terrain Group Build entries

Re: Could you use women's make up as weathering powder?

Post by genso6 » Tue Dec 20, 2016 11:30 am

It might be possible, assuming you still use a sealant type varnish/other material to trap it in. However I know some makeups have different pigmentation structures that make them less powdery and more like a liquid--could leave less room for error if they're applied more like an actual paint onto the model.

One really good tip is forensic dusting powder. It's the type of filament powder they use for dusting for trace fingerprints on various surfaces. They come in blacks, browns, reds, oranges, yellows, and other colors for some alien looking dust like purpler, green, blue etc. I think you can usually find it online for relatively cheap and it stains a lot better on its own like a real weathering powder (I'd still use a sealant though!)
Fantasy
Throng of Karak Hirn: 1750 points
Men of the Ostermark: 2000 points
Orcs: 2000 points
Tzeentch WoC: 1500 points

Space Wolves: 2000 points
The Irongrad Renegade Alliance: 1250
Mordian 81st: 1000 points
Orks: 1250 points

Guildenstern
Lost in the MiniWarGaming world...
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildWon 3 monthly Terrain Group BuildsHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by Guildenstern » Tue Dec 20, 2016 1:51 pm

also I think your wife/GF/Mom would kick your butt

Just sayin :P

seriously though, I don't really see the point? weathering powders work really really well, last a long time and aren't too expensive.

On the other hand,I suppose it you had some extra of the darker eyeshadows/browns or whatever, didn't get maimed by your SO, and wanted to give it a go, why not. But yeah, seal it. And then tell us about the experience =D
Dez: "PAINT FOR THE PAINT GODS, SPRUES FOR THE SPRUE THRONE!!"
Guildy's WIP thread (mostly Skaven)
Guildy's weeklypaint thread! (everything mostly not Skaven!)

Kovlovsky
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said

Post by Kovlovsky » Tue Dec 20, 2016 1:56 pm

Guildenstern wrote: On the other hand,I suppose it you had some extra of the darker eyeshadows/browns or whatever, didn't get maimed by your SO, and wanted to give it a go, why not. But yeah, seal it. And then tell us about the experience =D
Tell us especially the part where she beats the crap out of you with a frying pan for stealing her stuff. :mrgreen:
Forum's NKVD Cpt. Kovlovsky

40k : 3945 points of Thousand Sons
380 pts of Tzeentch Daemons of Chaos

Thousand Sons WiP : http://www.miniwargaming.com/forum/view ... 6&t=114889

Fantasy : OnG