Knight Porphyron-Worth it? Or not?

All discussions for Warhammer 30k (i.e. Horus Heresy), including Pre-Heresy, Heresy, and Post-Heresy go here.
Lightningsymphony
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Knight Porphyron-Worth it? Or not?

Post by Lightningsymphony » Fri Dec 16, 2016 9:52 am

https://www.forgeworld.co.uk/en-US/Acas ... id=2978604

Just was thinking about it, it's nearly double the price of a Cerestrus Knight. Is this worth it, or would you rather a Warhound for 44 (51 American dollars) more?
Great Ascendent Drakthia-Servant of Rivera, Drothri of Solaris

Great Leviathan Vasa-Master of the Milky Way

Lesser Leviathan Rivera-Guardian of Belliath, Servant of Vasa

Kovlovsky
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said

Re: Knight Porphyron-Worth it? Or not?

Post by Kovlovsky » Fri Dec 16, 2016 11:32 am

After checking it quickly, my feeling is that the Reaver is much more powerful, but the new knight can be kitted out in a more multipurpose way (I'm thinking about its skyfire missiles), so you can adapt it more easily to different needs. Otherwise, it seems to only bring more armor and somewhat heavier weaponry than a regular Knight, but way under what a Reaver can unleash. But the real question is the following: Which one will fit your army better? Because, from memory, a Reaver cost like 1400+ pts with its armament while this knight seems to be fieldable slightly over 500 pts maximum. You will be able to fit it in a 2000 pts army while the Titan will take three quarters of your point allowance. I would only take the Reaver if:

1. I have an irresistible urge to build and paint it (and most people will agree that it's a gorgeous model, especially the Chaos one ;) ).
2. I'm sure that I will play very large games (3000 + probably) and will need it for them.

Otherwise, the Reaver will be more of a display piece than a real part of your army. If it's going to be a display piece, make sure you give him a paint job that is worthy of this glorious model or its machine spirit will punish you at the first occasion. :P
Forum's NKVD Cpt. Kovlovsky

40k : 3945 points of Thousand Sons
380 pts of Tzeentch Daemons of Chaos

Thousand Sons WiP : http://www.miniwargaming.com/forum/view ... 6&t=114889

Fantasy : OnG

Kovlovsky
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said

Post by Kovlovsky » Fri Dec 16, 2016 12:34 pm

Oh I misread, he was comparing it to a Warhound and not to a Reaver... It makes it more sense now. Well, the Warhound is certainly more affordable than it's bigger brother both on a money and points perspective. In that case, I would probably go for a Warhound, especially if you play Chaos (which I think you were planning to do) because the model is fantastic and the price is about the same. The Warhound seems to trade durability for firepower and at this point, you are probably better to blast away as many things as possible. Anyway, if you go for a hugely expensive model, I would take the most impressive one. For me, this is the Chaos Warhound. And the Warhound is about 730 pts base, the weapons seem to be included in the point cost and all you need is to take some optional upgrades to bound it to a god or another, so I think that it's affordable enough for a regular sized game. It's not much more expensive than taking Magnus after all.
Forum's NKVD Cpt. Kovlovsky

40k : 3945 points of Thousand Sons
380 pts of Tzeentch Daemons of Chaos

Thousand Sons WiP : http://www.miniwargaming.com/forum/view ... 6&t=114889

Fantasy : OnG

Koonitz
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting Pledges

Post by Koonitz » Fri Dec 16, 2016 1:05 pm

First, let's face it, you're going to put two double-barreled turbo lasers on the Warhound. Everyone does. As such, my comparison is based on that load-out.

-----
Main differences between a base Warhound and the Porphyron:
1) +1 BS and -1 Init on the Porphyron (5 VS 4). I believe attacks are equal, but I don't recall the Warhound's stats on this one. Bluntly, you don't want to get either stuck in close combat, but the Porphyron is a smaller investment to get tied up.
2) -1 HP on the Porphyron (8 VS 9).
3) Porphyron has no Voidshields, but has Ion Shield. This could be better or worse. Much more unwieldy, as it covers only 1 facing, but a 4+ invuln against every attack versus no defenses as soon as those void shields go down (and no guarantee they'll come back up at any time). With it's rear field role, and if properly supported, I find it could be difficult to flank that ion shield. Otherwise, it's as easy to flank as any other Knight. The void shield's ability to absorb big shots is effectively null as most armies have the firepower to knock them down before the big guns fire.
4) Main armament is identical (4 shots, large blast, ordnance/primary weapon). However, the Porphyron loses S:D in favour of S:10 and twin-linked. A definite loss, and the primary source of the points difference, I'd wager.
5) The Porphyron actually HAS secondary armament in the form of two autocannons and a carapace mounted MASSIVE BLAST missile launcher (that can be a two-shot S8/AP2 skyfire/interceptor missile rack, which is very scary to most flyers). The Warhound would have to sacrifice one of its two turbo-lasers, losing half it's firepower, to get something capable of dealing with massed infantry (though its option is significantly more powerful if done). The extra armament also gives it the option, if it needs to, to charge into something without having to sacrifice one of its main cannons to do so.
-----

I've deliberately ignored the special rules, such as "Household Rank" and "Blessed Autosimulacra".

Obviously, the Warhound is the winner with the void shields, extra HP and S:D. But if you want to field a themed Knight Questoris army, the Porphyron fits right in. In addition, if you don't want to be "that guy" bringing buckets of S:D, it's a great way to still keep a shovel-full of firepower (that's slightly more accurate) in a scout titan sized model without making people gnash their teeth at you a bit.
Armies:
40k: Knights Cynosure Iron Hands successor chapter, House Terryn Questor Imperialis, Thousand Sons/Tzeentch Daemons
30k: Thousand Sons
Age of Sigmar: Sylvaneth, Disciples of Tzeentch