Newbie needs help!

All discussions for Warhammer 30k (i.e. Horus Heresy), including Pre-Heresy, Heresy, and Post-Heresy go here.
Bujiga
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot

Newbie needs help!

Post by Bujiga » Sat Oct 29, 2016 2:56 am

Hi guys. I'm going to be joining you in the glorious Horus Heresy as the Thousand Sons! Before I get started with writings some lists and figuring out what exactly I need to buy, I thought I would come here for some help. So of course, before I start buying particular models, i'm going to be waiting on the Inferno book from Forgeworld, which is hopefully right over the horizon. I have a Betrayal at Calth, and I just ordered a Burning of Prospero as well.
So, some questions:
As a 40k player, I know that most armies have some terrible units in them (chaos and 40k T Sons :( ) So I was flicking through the Age of Darkness book and was just wondering if there are some units or upgrades or anything really, that I should just stay far away from? Is there anything that should be in pretty much every list?

There are so many different weapons in 30k, and I don't really know what they're capable of. So basically, what upgrades are good on the stuff from the Betrayal box? So, for example, the Terminators and the Contemptor. Tartaros or Cataphractii?

Are marines good in blobs? Because I noticed that there is a veteran tactical squad, legion tactical squad and a tactical support squad. So im assuming that veteran tactical squads are similar to regular SM squads in 40k, but they can choose a special rule, regular tactical squads can only take bolters and can blob up for cheap, and tactical support squads are like chosen. What roles do veterans play in your lists? Same goes for support squads. Are rhinos pretty much mandatory like they are in 40k? How do you kit out your heavy support squads?

What tanks are good? I like both the Sicarans, the Fellblade and I like the idea of Magnus and a bunch of terminators (hoping Scarab Occult are in Inferno) riding around in a Spartan.

Anyway, sorry i'm just flooding you all with questions, but I want to learn before I invest in all this. I have been watching all the HH batreps etc, but I feel that I need some guidance. Thank you :)

Xlv7
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Re: Newbie needs help!

Post by Xlv7 » Mon Oct 31, 2016 1:59 pm

Welcome to the Heresy Brother

When it comes to 30k it interesting as no unit is really bad per se or should be avoided. Everything shines when used to its strength. I remember alot of people telling me that leviathan dreads were not worth the points but mine always seems to rampage his way through the enemy lines and make his points back.
When it comes to marines a marine with a bolter can be used as a tactical marine and veteran marine or seeker marines. I try to have 30 marines available with bolters only as they can be used in many different ways. Legion rules really play into how you play and build your army (DUUHH am i right lol) but there are some gold standard units in the game i.e always useful.

Sicaran Tanks are amazing in every sense of the word. I run mine with lascannons and go hunting. it main gun has rending which can penetrate even the hardest armor. One on one this tank tends to beat most of it competition.

Spartan Assault tanks with armored ceramite and flare shields are nigh unkillable and with be able to deliver its payload where ever it needs to go. I run mine full of terminators and maybe a primarch and hilarity ensues. I ran a unit of 20 marines Kyr Vhalen and a chaplain into the middle of the enemy army and it was devastating.

Whirlwind Scorpius are the absolute bane of marine blobs throwing out multiple strength 8 aps 3 blasts and are very cheap for the amount of damage they can do.

Finally if you want a unit that is expensive but can be tooled to handle any threat in the game look no further than the leviathan dreadnought. They can be absolute monsters in melee and in shooting. My leviathan has killed two primarchs and claimed the lives of several key targets. Just tool it up for the role you desire and watch this monster work. I have similar thoughts with the Deredeo.

Hope this helps.

NotAlpharius
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Post by NotAlpharius » Tue Nov 01, 2016 3:39 pm

I'd like to throw a Deredeo to the list of solid investments. Contemptor stats including invuln save, 4x S8 AP4 Sunder shots at BS5 stock with your choice of TL H. Bolter or H. Flamer. Add in that nifty little missile launcher for independent tracking for 3x S6 AP3 ignore intervening models/terrain and always strike side armor at BS5 for good times. If your opponent bring any flyers they are going to cry when if you stand still in your turn to gain Skyfire/interceptor. AV12 or less vs. 4x S8 Sunder shots at BS5 = very sad flyer.

As a side note, 30K is very different from 40K in terms of inherent competitiveness. 30k is generally more balanced in terms of units so no one army is too strong and no unit is too weak. I feel the designers did a great job in balancing the legions so that each has its own feel and play style. Because of the surprising amount of balance it allows you to collect what you want without fear of being completely wrecked. It should be mentioned that the legions feel well balanced against each other, I feel that Mechanicum can be a bit of a problem.
All generalizations are false.

Xlv7
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Post by Xlv7 » Tue Nov 01, 2016 9:37 pm

I haven't played against mechanicum but I relish the challenge. However I feel that the heresy has easy access to high strength weapons that should help eliminate a lot of the basic units. However when the basic units for the mechanicum are toughness 5 3 wounds it hard to have a basic infantry counter. I honestly feel that my night lords would take the mechanicum to ground once I get into combat. Since I will probably out number them so the toughness doesn't matter as much. However thousand sons with out legion rules or units should avoid combat with mechanicum bar terminator squads and try to take them out at range