A fun 'What if?'

All discussions for Warhammer 30k (i.e. Horus Heresy), including Pre-Heresy, Heresy, and Post-Heresy go here.
Lightningsymphony
MiniWarGaming Zealot

A fun 'What if?'

Post by Lightningsymphony » Mon Oct 17, 2016 6:39 pm

Say you are now the Primarch of a space marine legion, who are you? Answer the questions below! We'll do twenty rather then eighteen, just to make sure the most people get the chance to try it out. Add any other info you want!

Talents as a Primarch?

Legion Name?

Main Tactics/Characterstics of your legion?
Council of Nikaea opinion?

Side during the Heresy (I will end up picking who leads yada yada so it’s more fair)?

Memorable Victories and Defeats of your legion?

Defects/traits of your legions Geneseed?

Special weapons that your legion uses?

Loyalist or Traitor?
Great Ascendent Drakthia-Servant of Rivera, Drothri of Solaris

Great Leviathan Vasa-Master of the Milky Way

Lesser Leviathan Rivera-Guardian of Belliath, Servant of Vasa

steel-legion-skitarii
Now we're getting somewhere...

Re: A fun 'What if?'

Post by steel-legion-skitarii » Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:43 am

My legion is known as the Ever Vigilant. The primarch of the Ever Vigilant is named Artemis. He grew up the backwater part of the galaxy, and was a skilled marksman and hunter. His planet was constantly under attack by the tyranid hive mind, eldar, and tau forces who wanted them to join the greater good. He learned to fight of these foes by sniping, rather by assault or attacking head on. He and his followers were always looking for allies, and when his home world was found by the Imperium of Man, he was eager to join their cause. His gene-seed is known to be one of the least aggressive, but with the sharpest senses. While not being effective in close quarters, they were skilled marksmen. When the enemy do get close, they prefer to use specialized pistols, or space marine shotguns. They stayed loyalist during the Horus Heresy, seeing the sudden treachery to the emperor as rash, and believed it would not end well.
The current status of Artemis is missing, but presumed to be living. He has been lost many times, going on personal explorations of unknown regions with some of his sons of the Ever Vigilant.
The legion has access to sniper rifles as ranged weapons in their arsenal, and sergeants are traditionally equipped with auspexes. Their troops have exclusive access to a weapon known as a precision bolter, which exchanges the fire rate of a normal bolter for slightly longer range, precise firepower, and increase amour pierce.
The Ever Vigilant shall remain ever watching the borders of the imperium, and neither xenos nor the denizens of chaos shall escape their watch.

Salamand3rs4Lyfe
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by Salamand3rs4Lyfe » Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:55 am

steel-legion-skitarii wrote:His planet was constantly under attack by the tyranid hive mind, eldar, and tau forces who wanted them to join the greater good.
Don't want to spoil your fun especially seeing as how my horus heresy knowledge is fairly limited but I'm pretty sure the tau hadn't achieved space status/or became a threat during the heresy. And I'm pretty sure the tyranids are a recent threat as they haven't been in the galaxy for the 10 thousand years It would entail if they were a threat during the heresy.....of course my heresy knowledge is fairly limited so don't take my word as law.
Armies i collect:
11,115pts csm The Privileged
7,268pts Salamanders
1,200pts gsc Sons of Jormangandr

Koonitz
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting Pledges

Post by Koonitz » Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:46 am

Salamand3rs4Lyfe wrote:
steel-legion-skitarii wrote:His planet was constantly under attack by the tyranid hive mind, eldar, and tau forces who wanted them to join the greater good.
Don't want to spoil your fun especially seeing as how my horus heresy knowledge is fairly limited but I'm pretty sure the tau hadn't achieved space status/or became a threat during the heresy. And I'm pretty sure the tyranids are a recent threat as they haven't been in the galaxy for the 10 thousand years It would entail if they were a threat during the heresy.....of course my heresy knowledge is fairly limited so don't take my word as law.
This is correct. The Tau are an emergent race in 40k. Barely 2,000 years old. If anyone came across a Tau planet during the Great Crusade, it'd likely be ignored as the Tau would barely even be recognized as a sentient species at that point.

Certain Tyranid factions may be present, though they aren't recorded as such due to the Imperium's lack of knowledge. I can see Genestealer cults being potentially present, and a very, very few small tendrils of hive fleets. I believe MWG have also fielded Tyranids as "counts as" other xenos species that would be around during the Horus Heresy.
Armies:
40k: Knights Cynosure Iron Hands successor chapter, House Terryn Questor Imperialis, Thousand Sons/Tzeentch Daemons
30k: Thousand Sons
Age of Sigmar: Sylvaneth, Disciples of Tzeentch

Kovlovsky
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said

Post by Kovlovsky » Thu Mar 23, 2017 12:19 pm

Current fluff states that the Tyranids first noticed the Milky Way Galaxy when the Pharos was overloaded during the Battle of Sotha during the Horus Heresy: http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Tyranid, http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Battle_ ... #Aftermath. So, their presence is highly unlikely before the Heresy. One of the first recorded presence of Tyranid organism are the Ymgarl's Genestealers: http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Ymgarl_Genestealer. Unfortunately, the articles don't give dates, only that they were found long before the attack of Hive Fleet Behemoth. There are rumors that certain particularly agressive creatures on some death worlds like the Catachan Devils are maybe descendants of Tyranid vanguard organisms, but nothing proves it. You would have to play on this to add them to a narrative.
Forum's NKVD Cpt. Kovlovsky

40k : 3945 points of Thousand Sons
380 pts of Tzeentch Daemons of Chaos

Thousand Sons WiP : http://www.miniwargaming.com/forum/view ... 6&t=114889

Fantasy : OnG

steel-legion-skitarii
Now we're getting somewhere...

Post by steel-legion-skitarii » Thu Mar 23, 2017 4:24 pm

Can I just say that their was savage tau tribes that made it to his planet (ignoring the how) and so he adapted his fighting to them. I have nothing to say about tyranids.

NotAlpharius
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Post by NotAlpharius » Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:46 pm

Can I just say that their was savage tau tribes that made it to his planet (ignoring the how) and so he adapted his fighting to them.
No. The Mechanicus discovered the Tau homeworld in 789.M35. The Tau ancestors they found while scanning the planet used simple tools and probably the greatest achievement they had earned at the time was mastering fire the day before the Mechanicus found them.

I think Eldar and Orks are the only xenos of real note around the HH timeframe, granted there are plenty of others but those two are the only ones who are more than just one off races to showcase other legions. If you want to create your own xenos race that was similar in tactics and social structure to the Tau that could work. Just write in that that when your primarch was reunited with his legion he went back and gave the not-Tau a swift butt kicking in the name of the Emperor and caused them some critical existence failure.
All generalizations are false.

Kovlovsky
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said

Post by Kovlovsky » Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:45 pm

Yeah, I would do like NotAlpharius is suggesting. The Imperium encountered plenty of advanced Xenos races during the Great Crusade, so you can use Tau rules to be a proxy for one of these people.
Forum's NKVD Cpt. Kovlovsky

40k : 3945 points of Thousand Sons
380 pts of Tzeentch Daemons of Chaos

Thousand Sons WiP : http://www.miniwargaming.com/forum/view ... 6&t=114889

Fantasy : OnG