Is the Scorpius overpowered?

All discussions for Warhammer 30k (i.e. Horus Heresy), including Pre-Heresy, Heresy, and Post-Heresy go here.
Xlv7
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Is the Scorpius overpowered?

Post by Xlv7 » Fri May 05, 2017 1:38 pm

Hey Guys

I wanted to know your thoughts on the whirlwind scorpius. I have it currently in my sons of Horus army and I generally feel bad whenever I use it. I find it's ability to decimate infantry incredible along with its ability to threaten most tanks. I had my scorpius last game I played destroy a vindicator and immobilize a contemptor on the first turn. What I truly feel makes this destroyer of worlds over powered is its price tag. At just over 100 points we have a unit that can destoy entire squads of marines, damage important vehicles and more than make back its points in a single turn. Here are my thoughts on how to bring this unit back into line with other units.

I feel that in its current for its points needs to increase to something like 155.

The rocket barrage rule be changed to may fire 4 shots if remaining still but may not fire the next turn. Similar to fury of the legion. You can always opt to fire one shot per turn.

Decrease its range to 36 inches. 48 covers most of a board and since it's a barrage weapon it doesn't need line of sight.

Finally keeping everything the same but changing the gun to strength 5 ap3 small blast. Still an amazing infantry killer but it eliminates its ability to hunt down tanks. But make another shell type available for a points purchase. Like the shatter shells for the quad mortars.

Anyway what do you guys think of the Scorpius. As of now I have regulated him to "competitive games" friendly games I have a predator take his place.

Koonitz
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting Pledges

Re: Is the Scorpius overpowered?

Post by Koonitz » Fri May 05, 2017 3:40 pm

Personally, I've found the Scorpius, and the Scorpius alone, to be the sole reason I have a trepidation with my idea of having a squad of 20 Tac Marines as one of my core troops choices.

It's been a staple in almost every 30k battle report I've watched. When something is considered a "must take" by multiple people, regardless of reason, it is too powerful and must be balanced. The term "must take", in my opinion, is synonymous with "overpowered", and is also one of the first things to get me to not want to take something.

Xlv7
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Post by Xlv7 » Fri May 05, 2017 5:01 pm

I agree with the 20 man blobs. I run a 15 man blob of tactical with my sons of Horus who I outflank with. The only reason I field them is because I can outflank them which protects them from something likethe scorpius. They then show up on a flank and begin the assault on a unsuspecting unit. I will say this for the record I love powerful units. I fit a leviathan in every list I build as well as a sicaran battle tank as they always produce results. But a leviathan costs almost as much as a knight and if used correctly is nigh unstoppable. Sicarans are amazing at harassing larger units and demolishing rhinos, predators and vindicators. However I feel that when compared to other powerful units the scorpius just punches way above its weight limit.

I look at something like the basilisk or the medusa and while they are dangerous they don't scream overpowered. They need more than one of them to make them dangerous. 3 medusas are devastating as both area denial weapons and in actual destructive power but they cost three times as much as whirlwind that can do the same amount of damage to an infantry unit. I like the whirlwind scorpius because it does what I think a whirlwind should do. I have never liked the normal whirlwind as they don't seem to accomplish anything outside of being a minor inconvenience. I just find the 115 price tag to be way under what this thing can actually do.

Kovlovsky
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said

Post by Kovlovsky » Fri May 05, 2017 6:29 pm

Yes, it is. A S8 AP3 Small Blast Barrage weapon that can fire D3+1 times once per two turns at 48 inches of range for the price of a 40k Predator with Lascannon sponsons? I'd take that everytime. It instakills all marines models so goodbye FnP from apothecaries, can kill outright characters and barrage means you often ignore cover. It's just too good. You can even fight vehicles with it because S8 is respectable and you always hit flanks with a Barrage weapon. It should probably either cost like 200pts or be nerfed to a more reasonnable strength like 5 so that you can at least have a chance to save your men with FnP. I was surprised that it wasn't at least increased in pts like the Sicarian tank was when the updated 7th edition small book was released.
Forum's NKVD Cpt. Kovlovsky

40k : 3945 points of Thousand Sons
380 pts of Tzeentch Daemons of Chaos

Thousand Sons WiP : http://www.miniwargaming.com/forum/view ... 6&t=114889

Fantasy : OnG

Xlv7
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Post by Xlv7 » Fri May 05, 2017 8:07 pm

I got the sicaran going up in points but it wasn't a necessity. Yea powerful yea maybe to powerful for its points value but it's main gun being ap4 with a slight chance for ap2 is not obscenely powerful yea it ignores kinks but in heresy that's pretty much limited to speeders. Only cause bikes would get thier normal save. Again not if it tends but maybe one would.

Either the scorpius needs to be 180 points base or it's gun needs to be strength 5 or 6. So I agree with Kovlovsky. But as I originally said it only sees use in competive games not friendly ones.

Narfwak
Bronze Vault Member

Post by Narfwak » Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:09 pm

If you look at how it was changed to function in 8th ed 40k (in the FW SM Index book) it looks like FW themselves think it was a little over the top. Even with HH staying in 7th-esque rules I wouldn't be surprised to see it get nerfed when the next revision of the red books come out.

Return to “Horus Heresy”