GB 66 - Something Blue - ,,Dare to come at me!" - Completed!

Something Blue
LordMcAllister
Silver Vault Member
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

GB 66 - Something Blue - ,,Dare to come at me!" - Completed!

Post by LordMcAllister » Wed Aug 05, 2015 1:54 am

After seeing this I REALLY wanted to give making barbed wire a try. Additionally, I've been playing against my brothers 40k Orc-Army lately and it was so much fun seeing his bikers fall of their vehicles one after another after driving down a hill and failing lots of dangerous terrain tests! We never had to do any dangerous terrain tests before and since it worked out so fine to my advantage I thought we could use a bit more of dangerous terrain pieces.

So my idea was to create a barricade out of barbed wire which is fixed to the ground by some poles. I know this months theme is ,,something blue" so I will gladly add some blue pieces of fabric to the barbed wire, which has been left there by someone who tried to sneak through it. ;)

The last time I build a piece of terrain I used foamboard as a baseplate, but I wouldn't recommend it. It's too thick, it can bend while handling it and on top of that, it's much too expensive to waste such big pieces of it for a simple baseplate. I thought wood to be a much better material for this. So I picked up my ancient jigsaw (which I got when I was a kid and haven't used for about 20 years) and started sawing of the edges of a quadratic piece of wood I had laying around.

I was really pleased to find my jigsaw in such a nice condition! Good thing my parents don't throw away such things! :)

Then I set up everything to begin my work:

And finally the finished ,,product". Can you guess which was the first edge I started on? :D

I filed down the edges a bit, but my file seems to be a bit rough. I'm gonna have to buy some sandpaper to smooth the edges further. But that won't be a problem as I will have to go to the hardware store anyway in order to get some wire. :D
Last edited by LordMcAllister on Thu Aug 13, 2015 1:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Painted in 2018:
AdMech: 2 Vanguard
Marines: 1 Rhino, 6 Primaris Intercessor, 1 Captain in gravis armour, 1 Scribbus Wretch
Shadespire: 4 Sepulchral Guard

Guildenstern
Lost in the MiniWarGaming world...
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildWon 3 monthly Terrain Group BuildsHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Re: GB 66 - Something Blue - ,,Dare to come at me!"

Post by Guildenstern » Wed Aug 05, 2015 1:23 pm

nice!

definitely recommend wood > foam board as well. I have found out the hard way that foam board, being porous, is *really* porous! besides the structural issues with it. I did some watered down white glue on the foam board and let's just say it absorbed a LOT.

balsa or basswoods (actually in craft section usually) are very nice and relatively lightweight. I much prefer them. Especially if you're doing small-ish terrain, it's not too expensive.

anyway can't wait to see! I want to do barbed wire as well (not for mine, I mean in general) so very interested in how it comes out for you
Dez: "PAINT FOR THE PAINT GODS, SPRUES FOR THE SPRUE THRONE!!"
Guildy's WIP thread (mostly Skaven)
Guildy's weeklypaint thread! (everything mostly not Skaven!)

Munin
Bronze Vault Member
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting Pledges

Post by Munin » Thu Aug 06, 2015 12:07 am

I like MDF. It's heavier and sturdier than balsa wood and comes in a nice 3mm thickness which is perfect for basing.

LordMcAllister
Silver Vault Member
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by LordMcAllister » Mon Aug 10, 2015 1:57 am

Munin wrote:I like MDF. It's heavier and sturdier than balsa wood and comes in a nice 3mm thickness which is perfect for basing.
I actually used some old pieces of wood which have a picture printed on them in order to saw them out... but I believe those are MDF. Not quite sure though.

So I made some progress on my terrain piece! At first I tried out making some barbed wire.

That went pretty well and was much easier than I first thougt. I can REALLY recommend Sperians Tutorial which you can find here!
As you can see in the next picture I have already made as much barbed wire as I may need and have painted the base in a nice brown.

Then I applied a bit of this cracking colour GW sells. I never used it before but I have to say I'm really fond of the effect!

And last but not least I flocked everything else! :D

So I did progress quite far. I only have to give the wooden poles for the barbed wire a final touch up, drybrush the wire and glue it all in position! :)
Painted in 2018:
Marines: 1 Rhino, 6 Primaris Intercessor, 1 Captain in gravis armour, 1 Scribbus Wretch

LordMcAllister
Silver Vault Member

Re: GB 66 - Something Blue - ,,Dare to come at me!" - Comple

Post by LordMcAllister » Tue Aug 11, 2015 1:13 am

I finished my piece of terrain! I painted the barbed wire (drybrushed it with leadbelcher), glued it to the base, glued the posts into position and flocked over the glue that was spilling over. Additionally I added ,,something blue". See if you can find it! ;)

One overview shot:

And a close up shot:

I thought about adding some static grass to break up the whole green part a little bit more... but I find it hard to place miniatures right with static grass in the way!
Painted in 2018:

Munin
Bronze Vault Member
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting Pledges

Post by Munin » Tue Aug 11, 2015 10:51 am

Yeah, it looks good! About the only thing I'd suggest is that you trim the barbs to be about half the length they are now - they look kind of out-of-scale for the rest of the strand.

Dez
Spends far too much time here...
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Took part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Dez » Tue Aug 11, 2015 1:10 pm

Your lawn is greener than mine :)
PAINT FOR THE PAINT GODS, SPRUES FOR THE SPRUE THRONE!!!

Kovlovsky
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said

Post by Kovlovsky » Tue Aug 11, 2015 3:05 pm

Barbed wires is the kind of little things which really improves the look of a board. Great stuff! I will probably point my friend toward Sperian's guide and this thread for the board he's working on.
Forum's NKVD Cpt. Kovlovsky

40k : 3945 points of Thousand Sons
380 pts of Tzeentch Daemons of Chaos

Thousand Sons WiP : http://www.miniwargaming.com/forum/view ... 6&t=114889

Fantasy : OnG

Guildenstern
Lost in the MiniWarGaming world...
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildWon 3 monthly Terrain Group BuildsHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by Guildenstern » Tue Aug 11, 2015 9:21 pm

nice! I like it!

absolutely love the barbed wire, and really really appreciate that tutorial btw Sperian!
Dez: "PAINT FOR THE PAINT GODS, SPRUES FOR THE SPRUE THRONE!!"
Guildy's WIP thread (mostly Skaven)
Guildy's weeklypaint thread! (everything mostly not Skaven!)

LordMcAllister
Silver Vault Member

Re: GB 66 - Something Blue - ,,Dare to come at me!" - Comple

Post by LordMcAllister » Thu Aug 13, 2015 1:29 am

Munin wrote:About the only thing I'd suggest is that you trim the barbs to be about half the length they are now - they look kind of out-of-scale for the rest of the strand.
Hrm... now that you mention it, they ARE a bit too long, aren't they? But I have to admit that I'm just to lazy to adjust them... because it might lead to accidently ripping them of the base... and I'd have to repaint the edges... and... I'll just leave it the way it is now. Next time I'll definitly shorten them a bit more to make them better fit into scale. Thanks for the advice! :)

@Everyone else: Thanks for the comments, I always do appreciate them a lot! It really motivates me to keep building and posting!
Painted in 2018:

Return to “Group Build 66”