Changes to Phoenix Lords

If it ain't human, and it ain't from the warp, then it must be Xenos.

What would you like to see?

Nerf the points but keep the stats the same
45%
Boost their stats
55%

Total votes: 29

Treq2112
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Changes to Phoenix Lords

Post by Treq2112 » Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:03 pm

So what would you like to see in the next codex regarding the Phoenix Lords?
If anybody tried to take the 2+ invuln on those I would suggest punching them in the grapes or neck if they are female-Joe
Treq you are now officially awesome x2-Falcon96
I give up my freedom to my job now but hey its what lets me buy my plastic crack-Noc

gorefangz
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Re: Changes to Phoenix Lords

Post by gorefangz » Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:24 pm

my thoughts are that if they boost the stats, then they are almost too powerful to be eldar. but as it is, they are just powerful eldar, and just ned a point reduction
All Orks is equal, but some Orks are more equal dan uvvas.

Calandryll
MiniWarGaming Regular

Post by Calandryll » Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:06 am

This might be overpowered but I've always thought it would be cool if they were more like upgrades to Exarchs rather than an HQ slot. In that case I'd maybe nerf their stats and reduce the cost a bit but given the Eldar *need* for Farseer support and the so focused role of each Phoenix Lord (making them far less viable) I think it would help see more Phoenix Lords on the battlefields.

Jiya
Silver Vault Member

Post by Jiya » Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:50 am

My rational for this is that they are still too easy to kill, although i picked a stat boost i was speaking more about the giving an invul save or some upgrades or some extra rules above and beyond the regular exarch powers...
Eldar: 9000 points

Khador: 300 points

Ogre Kingdoms: 3500 points

Treq2112
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by Treq2112 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 1:39 am

Jiya wrote:My rational for this is that they are still too easy to kill, although i picked a stat boost i was speaking more about the giving an invul save or some upgrades or some extra rules above and beyond the regular exarch powers...
Thats a big one for me, making them more survivable, Ivulns would be a must for all of them at least.
If anybody tried to take the 2+ invuln on those I would suggest punching them in the grapes or neck if they are female-Joe
Treq you are now officially awesome x2-Falcon96
I give up my freedom to my job now but hey its what lets me buy my plastic crack-Noc

Farseer Oz
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by Farseer Oz » Tue Apr 03, 2012 3:26 am

I'd love to see the rules that when a PL dies if there is an exarch of the same aspect alive with 12" then remove the exarch and the PL stands back up at full health.

Would go well with the fluff :)

I think they need to be pretty good, since they are the original and the best of their aspects.
Eldar Biel-Tan 18,740 pts - 8,069 pts painted
Chaos Daemons 2,600 pts - 840 pts painted

sebastionsynn
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry
Location: having lunch in the Resteraunt At The End Of The Universe.

Post by sebastionsynn » Tue Apr 03, 2012 3:56 am

Jiya wrote:My rational for this is that they are still too easy to kill, although i picked a stat boost i was speaking more about the giving an invul save or some upgrades or some extra rules above and beyond the regular exarch powers...
agreed, but include Eternal Warrior, on ALL the Phoenix Lords. After all they are supposed to be Immortal anyways, so why don't they have the rule to reflect that fact.
New research has discovered that research causes cancer in lab rats.
Assembled the model before painting?? It's not a n00b mistake, it's a training exercise to improve your painting skills

Yaezakura
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Post by Yaezakura » Tue Apr 03, 2012 4:04 am

sebastionsynn wrote:
agreed, but include Eternal Warrior, on ALL the Phoenix Lords. After all they are supposed to be Immortal anyways, so why don't they have the rule to reflect that fact.
Actually... Eternal Warrior is a special rule for all Phoenix Lords. It's listed in the base entry of "Phoenix Lord", not in any of the specific entries.

Unless my Codex is horribly, horribly wrong.

sebastionsynn
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry
Location: having lunch in the Resteraunt At The End Of The Universe.

Post by sebastionsynn » Tue Apr 03, 2012 4:13 am

Actually... Eternal Warrior is a special rule for all Phoenix Lords. It's listed in the base entry of "Phoenix Lord", not in any of the specific entries.
Unless my Codex is horribly, horribly wrong.
nope your absolutely right, I can't tell you how many times i've looked over the Phoenix Lords, and never noticed that Eternal Warrior IS listed there. So, without further ado, i hereby give myself the:
New research has discovered that research causes cancer in lab rats.
Assembled the model before painting?? It's not a n00b mistake, it's a training exercise to improve your painting skills

Yaezakura
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Post by Yaezakura » Tue Apr 03, 2012 4:22 am

What really sucks is that Asurmen is the only Phoenix Lord with an invulnerable save. And Dire Avengers are not units I'd want to send into close combat, where the invulnerable save would matter most. Sure, a squad of Avengers with an Exarch with a Shimmershield and Asurmen would do respectably, but that's a lot of points, and almost every other Aspect is better in close combat.

At the moment, most of the Phoenix Lords just don't feel worth their points. Maybe if they all had that 4+ invulnerable save, it'd be a different story...

Chaos Farseer
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by Chaos Farseer » Tue Apr 03, 2012 5:33 pm

I would like to see the Phoenix Lords as high-cost single models which BUTCHER STUFF! They're not supposed to show up except in the largest of battles and then massacre armies solo, so give them stats to match!

Of course, that would be impossible to balance. So perhaps just give them Mpheston-equivalent (sp?) abilities and point costs.
Original Portrait Inspiration
Because one can't be normal all the time.

Joe
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said
Ribbons Earned: Participated in the Inaugural Painting PledgeHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' EntryWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeRED FLAG: Failed to complete a Challenge.
Location: I sleep on the MWG floor, curled up with my mini's.

Post by Joe » Tue Apr 03, 2012 7:04 pm

I think you guys are thinking in the wrong terms... they don't need any Stat changes, but they should allow you to take their own Aspect as Troop Choices... maybe not 6 of them, but 1 or 2 would be neat.

It is an extremely easy way to make Phoenix Lords a viable choice.
If you're blue and you don't know
where to go to why don't you go
where fashion sits...
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD!

And that is why Kharn was cut from the original cast of Puttin' on the Ritz.

Eldar - 8000-ish
Space Marine - 1500+

Jiya
Silver Vault Member

Post by Jiya » Tue Apr 03, 2012 7:33 pm

Farseer Oz wrote:I'd love to see the rules that when a PL dies if there is an exarch of the same aspect alive with 12" then remove the exarch and the PL stands back up at full health.

Would go well with the fluff :)

I think they need to be pretty good, since they are the original and the best of their aspects.
This would be epic, kinda like a Trayzene the Infinite Rules for the Necrons, but that might make them a little OP so even if it was on a 4+ or somthing or with D3 wounds to nerf them a little...

Joe wrote:I think you guys are thinking in the wrong terms... they don't need any Stat changes, but they should allow you to take their own Aspect as Troop Choices... maybe not 6 of them, but 1 or 2 would be neat.

It is an extremely easy way to make Phoenix Lords a viable choice.
I also agree here... can you imagine having say Fire Dragons Drop out of a Serpent, Massacre a group and then be HOLDING the objective!
Eldar: 9000 points

Khador: 300 points

Ogre Kingdoms: 3500 points

Farseer Oz
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by Farseer Oz » Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:57 pm

Mmmm infiltrating and outflanking scorpions that can hold objectives... Would be like having genestealers :)

I did love the Eldar Craftworld book that allowed my Biel-Tan army to have aspects as troops.
Eldar Biel-Tan 18,740 pts - 8,069 pts painted
Chaos Daemons 2,600 pts - 840 pts painted

krisbot4000

Post by krisbot4000 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:57 pm

oh how i miss the old craftworld dex'.
Biel-tan taking aspects as troops was sooo amazing.
“For the night is dark and full of terrors, but the fire burns them all away.”