Mega Armoured Warboss WIP (pic heavy)

If it ain't human, and it ain't from the warp, then it must be Xenos.
castillo1313
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Mega Armoured Warboss WIP (pic heavy)

Post by castillo1313 » Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:31 pm

Standard AoBR Dread with standard Ork Nob body and head.
just cut out the front, shoved him in, put it together and added as meny bits/parts/junk as i possibly could.
Leave comments :)
----------------------------JOIN ME---------------------------
Facebook!! http://www.facebook.com/williamswarhammerworld
Battle Reports!! http://www.miniwargaming.com/channel/castillo1313/

edsgotjive
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming
Ribbons Earned: Took part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted an Entry for the first 'King of the Hill' challengeParticipated in King of the Hill

Re: Mega Armoured Warboss WIP (pic heavy)

Post by edsgotjive » Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:34 pm

It looks great, just not orky enough yet...
Shop Smart...Shop S-Mart.

destuctir

Post by destuctir » Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:01 pm

that is a MASSIVE MAWB it is on a 60mm base thats like 50% bigger then the normal base

but does look pretty cool

Dez
Spends far too much time here...
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Took part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Dez » Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:12 pm

edsgotjive wrote:It looks great, just not orky enough yet...
I don't think that it doesn't look Orky, but we can still see too much of the Dreadnought still. It looks like a an AoBR dread with Ork Bits glued onto it, which is fine but if you want to push this to the next level then you need to bring some more dynamic changes.

Now this change could be something fairly simple. Take the CC arm off, and instead put a Grabbin' Klaw there. I would have liked to see something different done with the feet too.
PAINT FOR THE PAINT GODS, SPRUES FOR THE SPRUE THRONE!!!

Nonebutone

Post by Nonebutone » Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:27 pm

I'm not a fan of Ork Players using Space Marine Dreadnaughts as the basis of their conversions. Individual parts? Sure! but not the whole thing.
(Google search of "Ork Deff Dread conversion" showed 9 Space marine kitbashes, which i thought were blegh)

When I see something like this, I try to put it into one of three categories:

Kitbash: Using Multiple games workshop or other model company kits, Limited changes to the original models.
(Example: Swapping weapons on a model, or swapping heads.)
Conversion: Using plasticard or other materials to alter a kit to be different then it was original intended to do so.
(Example: Using plasticard to turn a Land speeder into a Dune Buggy)
Scratch build: Suing Plasticard or other materials to build your own design, limited or no kit pieces used at all.
(Example: Paperhammer, or something completely new)

Once I Know what it is, I can then Judge it accordingly:

Kitbash: How well do the bits match up, can you tell they are just stuck in place, or is there some element of mixture? Does it look good?

Conversion: How well do the new and old bits match up? Does the design clash or match together? Are the new sections to scale with the rest of the model? does it look good?

Scratchbuild: What designs elements are at play? How well does it look beside another model? Is the scale accurate? What Materials were used?

In this case, its clearly a Kitbash, with little or no conversion, as its full bits added to the exterior of the original model, with limited cuts and redesign.
I'd personally prefer this to move towards a true conversion, perhaps using plasticard to redesign the torso, remove of some of the Imperial shaped sections (Such as the shoulder pads) And Maybe make some custom Glyphs to blend better with the model's shape.

In the mean time however, I'd take Dez's advice concerning the Close combat weapon, as... I keep imaging it trying to pick something up, and having it fail over and over again as the blades are angled inwards with no hook or ability to actually... close.

(If I sound to critical, I apologize, I've seen... ALOT... of these, I've seen very few i actually like... hence why i build most of my own dreads from scratch)

-None
"The Humans say, If you build it they will come. Alas each time I build something, Most people tend to Run." -Musing of the Dreadboss.

Serenet
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by Serenet » Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:19 pm

I like this one

Steelhalo
MiniWarGaming Veteran
Ribbons Earned: Completed a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Steelhalo » Tue Feb 28, 2012 5:33 am

My main problem with it is that for game purposes a warboss should be used on a 40mm base. It looks too big to be a warboss, even in mega armour. (unless you planned on attempting true scale)
"Give a man some bullets and he'll be wanting a gun. Give a man a gun and he'll be giving away the bullets." - Sam Stone

Noice.

jbrown1214
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by jbrown1214 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 5:58 am

I agree with the others' sentiments about "orkiness", but as a minor suggestion, I'd recommend drilling out the gun barrels on the lascannons for a bit more realism (if you plan on keeping them).
New! I have a YouTube channel!

Warriors of Chaos: 4,500-ish points (95% painted)
Chaos Dwarves: 3,000-ish points (85% painted)
Bretonnia: 3,000-ish points (25% painted)
Imperial Fists: 1,500-ish points (40% painted)

Updated 1/7/2014! - WIP here

khani
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 5 Painting Pledges

Post by khani » Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:19 am

it does look quite a bit like a dreadnought trying to camo, maybe cut a few things up and fill up the space with bolts and heaps of ammo belts, you can then make the legs more orky by adding more bulk and adding claws at the end
..... :mrgreen:
Khani is more OT family then Shas! There I said it! -IGfanatic

Khani I have to admit, you're awesome -wulfrun

In the grim darkness of the near future there is only.... Khani? -the airman

GusMortis
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by GusMortis » Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:58 pm

The lower legs definitely need a complete over haul. Those feet should be amputated and made from scratch with a more beastly clunky feel. Try to make them look like they are full of leg and not robotic. It is a good start and will look awesome, but it does need to be more orky. Good job still, but your warboss deserves the best.
Eldar 6000
Dark Eldar 1450 pts
Want Orks or Salamanders

LoneHero2008
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by LoneHero2008 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 5:11 pm

Not sure where I found this, maybe on these forums or on DakkaDakka....not sure, I visit quite a bit of wargaming forums when looking for inspiration for my own Ork army. Anyway, this is a good idea for a Mega Armoured Warboss using a Dreadnought.

Reason I like it is because of two reasons:
1. You can make it using AoBR for the most part, so it's a nice way to get started on doing conversions.
2. If you look closely, you can see some Tua drone pieces used but it's hard to tell due to how they're used.
3. The plasticard used gives it a nice unique touch, so it doesn't look like it was just made from some random bits.
4. The base is still the same size as a normal Warboss base, meaning people are less likely to complain. ^_^
Space Orks - Big Mek Azak Mostdakka's Warband - About 470 Points
Space Marines - Blood Ravens - 500 Points even
Wins: 8
Loses: 15
Draws: 3

wowbagger
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Post by wowbagger » Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:32 pm

I really like that one!
"Those goals are for children" - Matt

Check out my Tyranid or Necron w.i.p.

phatonic
Ribbons Earned: Won a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by phatonic » Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:40 pm

Only issue here would be... HUWS ME POWAH KLAAW GUNNA 'IT SUMTHEN?!
BE THERE KILLIN' BE THERE TEEF, BE THERE DAKKA BE THERE TEEF, BE THERE 'UMMIES? NO TEEF I TELL YEH! BAD FER BUISNEZH!