Seer Council?

If it ain't human, and it ain't from the warp, then it must be Xenos.
hendrics84
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entries

Seer Council?

Post by hendrics84 » Sat Aug 27, 2011 5:03 pm

So ive heard alot about Seer Councils and how full of badassery they are - but what exactly do they comprise of, and what makes them so good?

Asking because i was at one of my local shops yesterdat\y, and they are almost giving away their puter models in lue of Finecast.

So i asked my friend who works the front desk there if they had any eldar blisters left, and he told me to go check the wall they are on - so i went looking and found Eldrad for $10. I went up to the front counter to pay for him, and my friend comes out the back with 4 other warlocks/farseers and threw them in for free.

So now im sitting with 3 Farseers, Eldrad, and 3 Warlocks - I know i can proxy any of the models as warlocks, so my questions are -

* What comprises a Seer Council
* What gives them their badassery
* How do you use one in a game
***Well, you know what they say... When life gives you lemons... BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD!***

Bite me once, ouch. Bite me twice and you might be a brain hungry zombie

--+3000pts Chaos
--+3000pts Grey Knights
--1500 pts Dark Eldar

bigbrown5
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Re: Seer Council?

Post by bigbrown5 » Sat Aug 27, 2011 5:39 pm

ive been wondering this myself

and ur lucky i hope you know that :D
an eye for an eye makes the world half blind.

Tyranids: 2000+
Eldar: 1600

Kazamato1
MiniWarGaming Zealot
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting Pledges

Post by Kazamato1 » Sat Aug 27, 2011 7:06 pm

A Seer Council is composed of a Farseer and 3 or more Warlocks. The Warlocks acts as the Farseer bodyguard.

As to using the Seer Council I have no idea? I guess they all have invul+4 and if you have fortune that means they can soak up some high ap shot. They're all armed with Witch blade so wounding on 2+ and if you have one of your warlock to have enhance you will have +1I +1WS.

Hope this helps.
I'm sooo cool, I don't need a signature ;D

hendrics84
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entries

Post by hendrics84 » Sat Aug 27, 2011 7:26 pm

So just a group of psykers that can use fortune, doom, guide, that mind storm thing, have multiple rune wards (if i put pts into them) - i can see it being kind of scary, but from what ive heard people say about them, they seemed alot scarrier
***Well, you know what they say... When life gives you lemons... BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD!***

Bite me once, ouch. Bite me twice and you might be a brain hungry zombie

--+3000pts Chaos
--+3000pts Grey Knights
--1500 pts Dark Eldar

Kazamato1
MiniWarGaming Zealot
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting Pledges

Post by Kazamato1 » Sat Aug 27, 2011 7:39 pm

Well only the Farseer can use his powers, and the Warlock use their own. Mind you it sucks that enhance doesnt accumulate :( and their rune armour gives them all +4 invul
I'm sooo cool, I don't need a signature ;D

negZero
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by negZero » Sat Aug 27, 2011 7:50 pm

hendrics84 wrote:So just a group of psykers that can use fortune, doom, guide, that mind storm thing, have multiple rune wards (if i put pts into them) - i can see it being kind of scary, but from what ive heard people say about them, they seemed alot scarrier
Warlocks add things like Enhance (+1 WS and I), Embolden (rerollable leadership) Destructor (heavy flamer), put them on jetbikes (3+ save and (+1) toughness), and watch as nothing is safe against them. A nearby farseer allows them to reroll everything except assault hits, turning them into one of the deathstar units in the game. Heck the reason why psyhic defence is so common in codices now days is because these guys could wipe out 1000+ points by themselves in the older editions. Though they are still extremely dangerous and can still wipe out practically everything given enough time.

Hukoseft
Silver Vault Member

Post by Hukoseft » Sun Aug 28, 2011 6:46 pm

my seer council costs me 680pts ;)

my fave unit, i always get upset when they die, dont care about rest of army :P
Eldar: >4500
Dark Eldar: 4229

Elves (lotrs): 2000
More lotrs: >10k

High Elves: 2000

Retribution: ~100

Attack of the Elves

Concreteus

Post by Concreteus » Sun Aug 28, 2011 9:37 pm

Wow 680 points, I take it that's a full unit of 10 then.

Seer councils are great it usually take my opponents most of there army to just deal with the 5 that I run on bikes. One time it withstood an entire tau shooting phase at rapid fire range and they still didn't kill a single lock.

So yes seer councils are awesome

Hukoseft
Silver Vault Member

Post by Hukoseft » Sun Aug 28, 2011 10:15 pm

Concreteus wrote:Wow 680 points, I take it that's a full unit of 10 then.
it is, i also have eldrad and a farseer on jetbike in my list (890pts all up) safe to say that some people dont like my list :mrgreen:

my list is one of those when it works it works well, when it doesn't its terrible, basicly when my dice let me down....failed Ld etc

Attack of the Elves

Rangrok1k
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts

Post by Rangrok1k » Sun Aug 28, 2011 10:26 pm

The Seer Council is one of the few units of the codex that can handle just about every enemy unit in the game. They can get Jetbikes (The second fastest Jetbikes in the game, with Dark Eldar Jetbikes being first) to outmaneuver and outpace enemies, practically guaranteeing a charge. Witchblades not only wound every model with a T value on a 2+, but they count as str9 against Vehicles, meaning even Land Raiders have something to fear (Sidenote, according to a friend, Witchblades are the most cost effective Anti-Monolith tool in the Eldar Codex). A re-rollable 4+ invul save (re-rollable 3+ armor on a jetbike, re-rollable 3+ cover if turbo-boosting) means it takes a LOT of firepower to take them down. It doesn't matter really how strong it is, only volume.

Their main weakness is that Witchblades are not Power Weapons. That would be just plain broken. Eldrad can show off the power of a Power Weapon that wounds on a 2+ (but don't get him into cc too much, he can only cast 2 powers in cc instead of 3). Against Terminators, you may take a few casualties. Likewise if your opponent has an above average initiative.
Clearly, I'm a mere walking corpse, shambling through walls of text.

Inactive? Maybe...

Hukoseft
Silver Vault Member

Post by Hukoseft » Sun Aug 28, 2011 10:59 pm

witchbaldes are the best antimonolith weapon in the game, the fastest a monolith can move is 6" so at worst you're hitting on 4+ and with so many attacks you are bound to do damage, sure people will argue for others but those things die much easier too ;)

they wouldn't be broken if they made them power weapons, they have bugger all attacks

Attack of the Elves

Concreteus

Post by Concreteus » Mon Aug 29, 2011 1:08 am

Dam u husk and rangrok1k now I'm going to have to increase my jetbike council to 10 strong just to annoy everyone else :)

Zero
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said

Post by Zero » Mon Aug 29, 2011 1:53 am

Why would you ever run a council with less than 10 Warlocks anyway?
What matters creative endless toil
When, at a snatch, oblivion ends the coil?

My awesome blog of awesomeness.

Concreteus

Post by Concreteus » Mon Aug 29, 2011 2:04 am

Well I have only had my 5 strong council wiped out once and that was a completely freak accident. I lost by 1 in combat failed the leadership test failed the reroll then rolled a 1 for the initiative test. Beaten by templar terminators what a disgrace that was.

The only other reason not to run one of that size is for points cost. Usually play 1500 or 1750 games here and 700 is a massive points dump for a game even if they are generally un-killable. A list would look something like seer council and 3 dire avenger in wave serpents with stones and bright lances.

The best thing is, around here you get an extra kill point for killing the enemy general and good luck to my opponents with that task.

Zero
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said

Post by Zero » Mon Aug 29, 2011 5:06 am

Concreteus wrote:Well I have only had my 5 strong council wiped out once and that was a completely freak accident. I lost by 1 in combat failed the leadership test failed the reroll then rolled a 1 for the initiative test. Beaten by templar terminators what a disgrace that was.

The only other reason not to run one of that size is for points cost. Usually play 1500 or 1750 games here and 700 is a massive points dump for a game even if they are generally un-killable. A list would look something like seer council and 3 dire avenger in wave serpents with stones and bright lances.

The best thing is, around here you get an extra kill point for killing the enemy general and good luck to my opponents with that task.
10 strong will be smashing a unit a turn after the first and drawing almost all enemy fire while not dieing. They'd be better at multi-assaults too. While your council rolls through one unit, mine can go through that same unit and their Land Raider at the same time.
What matters creative endless toil
When, at a snatch, oblivion ends the coil?

My awesome blog of awesomeness.