1000pt Battle. Brief thoughts on.

If it ain't human, and it ain't from the warp, then it must be Xenos.
MacFarlane
MiniWarGaming Regular

1000pt Battle. Brief thoughts on.

Post by MacFarlane » Sun Aug 21, 2011 2:06 pm

Had a couple of battles against Space Wolves today at 1000pts. I lost both games, but did take a squishy list considering the terrain and it was bloody on both sides.

My list was:

Farseer 148pts Singing Spear, Runes of Warding, Spirit Stones, Fortune, Doom. See Pg.26-28 of Codex for special rules.

5*Pathfinders 120pts See Pg.38 of Codex for special rules.

7*Warp Spiders 191pts Exarch upgrade, Twin Spinners (A4), Power Blades, Surprise Assault.

Night Spinner 150pts Holofield. See Sheet in Codex for full rules.
Night Spinner 150pts Holofield. See Sheet in Codex for full rules.

Total 999pts

The terrain was fairly open so that finding cover that wasn’t open to a Deep Strike from behind was difficult. This resulted in my Pathfinders suffering being shot and charged by elements they couldn’t stand up to as his two drop pods laden with Grey Hunters and his Rune Priest landed behind my lines.

The Warp Spiders did well, but I think that I’d have more success with them in a more mobile list with better support.

The real stars of the battles as they pinned, rendered and generally made a nuisance of themselves were the Night Spinners. These more than made up for their points, so much so that I’m considering another one for larger games. They may not have the raw punch of the Prism, but the twin linked with rending makes up for its low BS and S. I would defiantly advise other Eldar players to try them.

A tip for those who use Rangers/Pathfinders. Don’t write them off if all they can see is a Dreadnought or light vehicle, my squads manages to destroy weapons on and immobilise his Land Speeders due to the rending and AP1 on 5+/6+ to hit rules.

The next game will be in about two weeks at 1500pts.
I'll be taking a more meched up list. :wink:
Last edited by MacFarlane on Fri Aug 26, 2011 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There’s method to my madness.
I’m just not sure if my madness has any method.

DjDaMode
MiniWarGaming Veteran
Ribbons Earned: Won a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeRED FLAG: Failed to complete a Challenge.Completed a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Re: 1000pt Battle. Brief thoughts on.

Post by DjDaMode » Mon Aug 22, 2011 4:34 pm

You should of took Guardians. Then you get a crap load of shots and a heavy weapon. Space Marines die quick to mass shooting and with doom and guide its even better.
My armies throughout the years...
2nd Edition: Blood Angels
3rd Edition: Dark Angels, Orks, Dark Eldar, Chaos SM, Ulthwe Eldar
4th & 5th Edition: Iron Knights SM, Ulthwe Eldar, tyranids
My new wargame forum! http://onlywargames.forumotion.com/

Smurfyk
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by Smurfyk » Mon Aug 22, 2011 6:03 pm

DjDaMode wrote:You should of took Guardians. Then you get a crap load of shots and a heavy weapon. Space Marines die quick to mass shooting and with doom and guide its even better.
Guardians won't work well at all against Space Wolves. Trust me. You may be able to mass fire at short range, but Space Wolves do it better and they do it after disembarking from transports which will keep them out of Guardians' 12" range. They can also take heavy weapons, but they can't move into firing range and shoot the heavy weapon at the same time, which is BS3 all the while.

MacFarlane, if you're looking for some advice for a 1500 point list, I suggest dropping a unit of pathfinders for some Dire Avengers. They're much more mobile with a lot of mid-range firepower (30" threat if you put them in a Wave Serpent), and I find that with more than one or two units of pathfinders, you begin to lack AT and and mobile scoring units.
Smurfyk's WIP
Eldar -12k 114-18-38 [W-D-L]
Tyranids -3k 32-8-7
High Elves - 5k

Hukoseft
Silver Vault Member

Post by Hukoseft » Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:12 am

Smurfyk wrote:Guardians won't work well at all against Space Wolves. Trust me. You may be able to mass fire at short range, but Space Wolves do it better and they do it after disembarking from transports which will keep them out of Guardians' 12" range. They can also take heavy weapons, but they can't move into firing range and shoot the heavy weapon at the same time, which is BS3 all the while.
are you talking about the weapons platform that guardian squads HAVE to take (unless they are storm guardians), if so then it counts as an assault weapon

what i question is about the list, all the pathfinders seem to be the same size yet they are all different points?

also it was a drop pod space wolves list? and you play eldar? and you didnt win? hint dont take pathfinders :wink:

in all seriousness, dire avengers are the best troops we have, they are still at a competative level, the rest are a bit over priced

also night spinner is in white dwarf not codex

surprise assault is a waste of points, you can deep strike in most missions anyway due to warp spiders being jump infantry
Eldar: >4500
Dark Eldar: 4229

Elves (lotrs): 2000
More lotrs: >10k

High Elves: 2000

Retribution: ~100

Attack of the Elves

MacFarlane
MiniWarGaming Regular

Post by MacFarlane » Thu Aug 25, 2011 2:04 pm

Hukoseft wrote:
Smurfyk wrote:also night spinner is in white dwarf not codex
I copied and pasted the list from my actual word doc into the forum post and didn't delete some of the extraneous data. The sheet for the Night Spinner is a loose sheet in my Codex and the reference to it is purely for my info.
Apologies if this has caused confusion.

The list I used was to try and put my opponent off guard, he was expecting a Mech list, as well as to test out the effectiveness of the ‘ranger list’ as I haven’t tried it in 5th Edition before. I’m also building towards a list I submitted to Joe and testing elements as I go.

If it's of consolation to players out there, my opponent didn't want to use psychic powers due to the Runes of Warding causing him to fail a test and suffer perils. He explained that he'd never had a failed test before.
The Games were both good fun and thats more important than winning. :)

In my next list I'm planning to use a squad of bikes and Avengers, but only for mobility.

Hukoseft
Silver Vault Member

Post by Hukoseft » Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:48 am

bit of a missquote there :wink:

i kind of figured you had it in your codex, i was being pedantic (if thats the right word)

also runes of warding are awesome right, dont forget its not just any 2 1's or 2 6's, its also 12+ :twisted:

Attack of the Elves

MacFarlane
MiniWarGaming Regular

Post by MacFarlane » Fri Aug 26, 2011 1:24 pm

Hukoseft wrote:also runes of warding are awesome right, dont forget its not just any 2 1's or 2 6's, its also 12+ :twisted:
That’s why I took them. :mrgreen:

Probably the best 15pts spent on the whole list as after my opponent failed his psychic test once, he never attempted another while my Farseer was on the table.

The next thing I'm going to try and bring in is the Tourney guidelines as house rules. He might go for it as his JOTWW won't need a to hit roll amoungst other things.

Kazamato1
MiniWarGaming Zealot
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting Pledges

Post by Kazamato1 » Fri Aug 26, 2011 1:40 pm

May i ask why the pathfinders are at varying points
I'm sooo cool, I don't need a signature ;D

Hukoseft
Silver Vault Member

Post by Hukoseft » Fri Aug 26, 2011 2:41 pm

Kazamato1 wrote:May i ask why the pathfinders are at varying points
its cos he copied and pasted, they all work out to be points, for a different number of models in each squad

Attack of the Elves

MacFarlane
MiniWarGaming Regular

Post by MacFarlane » Fri Aug 26, 2011 4:06 pm

Kazamato1 wrote:May i ask why the pathfinders are at varying points
I've corrected it. They should all have read 120pts. I didn't notice that it was wrong on the sheet, but the army total is correct.

Falcon
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot

Post by Falcon » Thu Sep 22, 2011 6:56 am

Get rid of Pathfinders & get something more worthwhile.
'Some may question your right to destroy ten billion people. But those who understand realise that you have no right to let them live.'
-In Exterminatus Extremis

Zero
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said

Post by Zero » Thu Sep 22, 2011 7:12 am

Falcon96 wrote:Get rid of Pathfinders & get something more worthwhile.
Another inspiring post by Falcon. Seriously though, if you're going to reply to something more than a week old add more than a sentence of text. It's pointless and very often doesn't help the OP at all. I know I don't like it when someone's like "Do this." and nothing more. Chances are I'm not going to listen and I feel like I wasted my time looking at his one line of nothingness.
What matters creative endless toil
When, at a snatch, oblivion ends the coil?

My awesome blog of awesomeness.