1500 Harlequin list.

If it ain't human, and it ain't from the warp, then it must be Xenos.
Bone Crusher
MiniWarGaming Veteran

1500 Harlequin list.

Post by Bone Crusher » Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:07 pm

Hey guys I've finally settled on the idea of doing a Harley list with the Dark Eldar. It is not designed to be competitive more themed and fun. Anyway here we go.

Dark Clown list:
HQ
Lady Malys 130
Elites:
3x Fully upgraded Harlequins 888

Troops:
8x Kabalite warriors 87 Blaster
7x Kabalite Warriors 78 Blaster

Heavy support:
Ravager 105
Ravager 105
Ravager 105

Okay Plan basically would be to castle up with the two groups of Warriors and ravagers on objectives. The lady would join group one of the Harleys moving to about mid field with the other two groups set up ready for the counter charge.
Last edited by Bone Crusher on Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TheSinisterUrge
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts

Re: 1500 Harlequin list.

Post by TheSinisterUrge » Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:11 pm

Have fun with it, because it certainly doesn't look competitive.
HAPPINESS IS A MUSHROOM CLOUD, GIVE WAR A CHANCE!

Cygnar 264 points
Mercenaries 11 points
Legion of Everblight 135 points

Bone Crusher
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Post by Bone Crusher » Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:16 pm

Thankfully the vast majority of people I play are not competitve so I "should" have an easier time of it. :P

Rangrok1k
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts

Post by Rangrok1k » Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:51 pm

I would say drop the Death Jester because that encourages you to not spend your entire time running as fast as possible. Also, make sure you give the Troupe Master the Power Weapon, not the Harlequin's Kiss (both are free).

Then, use up the extra points to give a squad of Warriors a Dark Lance, for you lack long range anti-tank. You will have to shuffle the warriors around a bit to make it happen though. I think the blasters are kinda stupid due to your Warriors should NOT be getting that close. The Harlequins should prevent anyone from moving close to your warriors, and you need said warriors to hold your objective.
Clearly, I'm a mere walking corpse, shambling through walls of text.

Inactive? Maybe...

DrBored
Lost in the MiniWarGaming world...
Ribbons Earned: Group Build Badge #9Completed a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by DrBored » Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:53 pm

Yup, what Ragnarok said. If you want a Death Jester, it's best if you leave the rest of the squad unupgraded and just give them a Shadowseer for survivability, but if you're taking everything else, may as well drop the Death Jester.

That way you can bring those Warrior squads to 10 and give them another special weapon, at least a Splinter Cannon.

Chief
MiniWarGaming Grand Marshall

Post by Chief » Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:08 pm

I can't see all harley lists being very effective with dark eldar, for we have no unkillable troops, and no heavy weight tank hunters. A Harlequin army, for our prudish bretheren, is made so that every unit is very tough to kill, goading your opponent into moving out. That's when the harlequins strike.

Here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5hcjZodqa4

So yeah, we can't pull that kind of survivability off in our armies...
If anyone can find a way to pull an all harlequin army off, please let us know. I for one would be very interested to hear about it. Right now, it looks like WWPing them up is the best way, but even that can (arguably) be better done with Incubi or Beastmasters & friends...

Zero
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said

Post by Zero » Wed Feb 16, 2011 2:22 am

Harlequins! Finally :D
This won't be very competative, but it does look like lots of fun.
One thing I would do though is drop Lady Malys and the 3 Death Jesters and try and get yourself at least 2 Haemonculus with WWP and keep at least 2 units of Harlequins in reserves. I wouldn't worry about other upgrades on the Haemonculus'.
What matters creative endless toil
When, at a snatch, oblivion ends the coil?

My awesome blog of awesomeness.

Smartah
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeRED FLAG: Failed to complete a Challenge.Placed First with a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Smartah » Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:59 am

Yay another Harlequin player! I'm just starting to collect my clowns and their entourage. Good luck with your games, I'm going to look forward to seeing everything painted and to battle reports
ZOMG IMMA GIRL!
Check out Smartah Studios on Facebook!
Follow me on Twitter! @Smartah

My Armies:
Ogre Kingdoms
[X---------] Painted (10%)
Eldar
[X----------] Painted (4%)

Ariyaris
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by Ariyaris » Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:08 pm

Chief wrote:If anyone can find a way to pull an all harlequin army off, please let us know. I for one would be very interested to hear about it. Right now, it looks like WWPing them up is the best way, but even that can (arguably) be better done with Incubi or Beastmasters & friends...
An all Harlequin list?
For Dark Eldar?
No, and No.

Dark eldar are not designed to have all Harlequin list.
However! Having Harlequins with your HQ or even two HQ's (succubus/archon) may be nice. Veil of tears giving you extra survivability and rending giving you the extra punch.

However! Your playstyle should be little bit careful.
Night shields (since harlequins don't have dedicated transport option)
Maybe Flickerfields too, should be on your vehicles to give you a turn or two extra before combat really begins. Or deep strike your skimmers. That should do the job too.
After the stage is set, release your Harlequins and HQ's to have fun alongside with your Wyches and other units.
(Harlequins can do some serious damage with their furious charge and rending)

If somebody wants to have "All harlequin list" well, there are many units in Dark Eldar codex that do the "kill-torture-stuff" better than Harlequins. Though as i said, having a single unit of Harlequins may be interesting.

Generaly, massing expensive, squishy units with little or no flexible anti-tank weapons usualy means the list will fail.

[this is my oppinion, if somebody has anything better to say, please do so :) ]
You primitives think you own the stars but you have no conception of what you are saying. You can barely command your own lumpen bodies, so how do you believe that you can subjugate entire worlds?

azzerath
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming

Post by azzerath » Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:27 pm

web way portal would suit all those foot sloggers nicely

Ariyaris
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by Ariyaris » Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:41 pm

True :)
You primitives think you own the stars but you have no conception of what you are saying. You can barely command your own lumpen bodies, so how do you believe that you can subjugate entire worlds?

Chief

Post by Chief » Thu Feb 17, 2011 4:55 pm

Ariyaris wrote:Generaly, massing expensive, squishy units with little or no flexible anti-tank weapons usually means the list will fail.
They have meltaguns and rending, and as for the rest of it, you just described the Dark Eldar army.

To the rest of your post, I can't see how one would get them to work, and neither do you, but that doesn't mean no one will, and that was what my post was addressing. Going in saying 'it can't be done' means no one will try it, and Harlequin armies are something I'd like to see done, if it can be done.

Ariyaris
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by Ariyaris » Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:39 pm

Chief wrote:
Ariyaris wrote:Generaly, massing expensive, squishy units with little or no flexible anti-tank weapons usually means the list will fail.
They have meltaguns and rending, and as for the rest of it, you just described the Dark Eldar army.

To the rest of your post, I can't see how one would get them to work, and neither do you, but that doesn't mean no one will, and that was what my post was addressing. Going in saying 'it can't be done' means no one will try it, and Harlequin armies are something I'd like to see done, if it can be done.
Well, the thing is.
Harlequins either walk, or you use webway portal for them. (if they walk, they fall behind your army... and they are quite expensive unit to be behind the rest of your army)
Secondly, their melta pistols are 6'' range which practicly means you need to almost assault that vehicle. Anything fast and with little bit of brain will outmaneuver you or simply be far far away from them.
Third, rending is good, so is furious charge. BUT! for the same amout of points you can buy and entire Incubi unit and a raider for them. (i personaly find Incubi unit more useful than harlequins for anti-infantry)

If you really want harlequin army, then webway portal should be included for Harlequins.
If not, deepstrike transports, and outflank units (if anything has that) should be present in majoritiy.
Or both.
Or simply Night fields and first two turns "the game of mouse and cat".
That is how they would work. (in my oppinion)
Don't give an enemy opportunity to shoot at you before harlequins get near the enemy and/or get harlequins as fast as possible to the enemy.
There isn't any deeper philosophy in this. Just speed and don't allow enemy to shoot at your units until Harlequins pass at least 1/3 ~ 1/2 of the board.

This is the basis on what harlequin army should be built.
Everything else should be writing more about how would somebody play that army (strategy and stuff) than writing about which units would somebody use.

Then again.
Fluffy list, or Fun list :)
Well, that's completely another story ofc :)

[ Chief, if i didn't propose the list with units that doesn't mean i don't know what i'm talking about. I provided a more open "thought" where i show my personal view that one should be concentrated on getting harlequins to the enemy asap and until that protecting it's own units from getting hurt. What units one may use alongside with harlequins... well... that's the least of the importance for harlequin list in my oppinion. ]
[ But since i'm afraid of being misunderstood again i will provide you with the possible list for harlequin army]

HQ:
Archon with blaster
10x Trueborn ( 6 shard carabines, 4 blasters)
Raider ( retrofire jets, torment grenade launchers, splinter racks)
[splinter racks will be quite nice with shard carabines, blasters however are here for the extra punch or getting rid of enemy vehicle]

3x Troops:
10x Kabalite Warriors ( splinter cannon, dark lance)
Raider ( night shield)
[the part of your army that shouldn't be shoot at for at least 2 turns]

2x Elites:
10x Harlequins (Shadowseer, Troupe Master, Harly-kisses, maybe power weapon for troupe master [it's free, you decide what you like most possible rending or possible wound from power weapon])

This is 1497 points.
Keep HQ with his raider in reserve.
Place Harlequins in front as much as you can (but no closer than 24'' even if deployement rules allow different, else your Veil of tears means nothing...)
Place raiders with warriors as far as possible to the back and in covers.

Move as fast as you can to the enemy with Harlequins.
On the turn when you get your HQ to deep strike, flat out one of your raiders with warriors to him or to harlequins (whereever the help will be needed)
With other warriors move to the enemy to kill the transports and or tanks. Get objectives, do something that you think should be done.
If harlequins will reach combat before your HQ arrives, well... use your Kabalite warriors to go and help them out with shooting at whatever feels most logical to be shot at.

Your HQ in that raider should either delete a vehicle from the board or force one enemy unit to fall back. The big thing is that he'll draw a lot of attention and do a lot of dmg before they vanish, giving harlequins enough time to arrive and start rending the enemy.

Optional.
Instead of one troop choice with raider and upgrades, you may take a Voidraven Bomber with Night shields and 4 Shatterfield missiles (feel free to convert it out. It's not that hard, i'm planing to do that as soon as i get some money)
Keep that thing away from the enemy fire and shoot tanks/transports down or troops.

Optional.
Instead of Trueborn, you may take 10 Incubis with no upgrades.
3+ save should keep them alive till Harlequins arive. (also do some logical upgrade changes on raider if you plan to use them, like... remove splinter racks and use those points for something else )

{this is only a theoretical list, feel free to give your oppinion. The only problem here is... well... small troop chooices and it seems squishy. But this is how i see/think it could work out with lot of Harlequins}

Chief

Post by Chief » Fri Feb 18, 2011 3:23 pm

I know how to field harlequins, thank you.
What I was wondering is if anyone could think of a competitive way of fielding an army based on max harlequins. Currently, the answer is no.

Ariyaris
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by Ariyaris » Fri Feb 18, 2011 3:29 pm

I think it's impossible to field 3 full units of Harlequins in 1500 point army of Dark Eldar to make it competitive.