Grot Tank Battles!

If it ain't human, and it ain't from the warp, then it must be Xenos.

Good Idea?

Yes
88%
No
2%
What?
11%

Total votes: 200

Kleiner Zorn
MiniWarGaming Regular

Re: Grot Tank Battles!

Post by Kleiner Zorn » Sat Sep 25, 2010 12:48 pm

chaptermaster wrote:Has anyone made any grot tanks? if you have can you post pictures?
http://kleinerzorn.wordpress.com/2010/0 ... -the-grot-

Dez
Spends far too much time here...
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Took part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Dez » Tue Sep 28, 2010 4:42 pm

I'm bringing it to the table as an event for our Gaming Club here. I have a feeling we'll have to have a few demo games first though ;).
PAINT FOR THE PAINT GODS, SPRUES FOR THE SPRUE THRONE!!!

tTarragonable
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entry

Post by tTarragonable » Wed Sep 29, 2010 12:46 pm

If it goes ahead... BATREP PL0X!
ί ɳƐѵƐЯ ЯƐՇЯƐДՇ! ί ʝᕰֆՇ ДԃѵДɳϾƐ ίɳ ДɳӨՇɧƐЯ ԃίЯƐϾՇίӨɳ!
The Stern Brotherhood; Grey Knights - W1;L1;D0
Mork'z Own Speed Sneakz; Orkz - W8;L5;D2
Warp Incursion; Daemons - W2;L1;D1
THIS BE MY YOUTUBE.
Writer for the MWC blog

Dez
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Took part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Dez » Wed Sep 29, 2010 2:07 pm

I'll try and do something with Youtube as well. I got the iPhone 4 just so I'd have HD video for Batreps.....well, so I could take video of my kids too ;)

Dez

Post by Dez » Sun Oct 03, 2010 11:53 am

Ok I just reviewed the PDF again (easier to read) and I have a few quick questions:

How big an area is this to be played on? Full table?

What are terrain effects supposed to do ie Mines?

When the Warboss decides to make things 'Interesting', where do the ...interesting parties come onto the table?

tTarragonable

Post by tTarragonable » Sun Oct 03, 2010 12:01 pm

Try a three or four foot table, what you'd play Killteam on.

There should be guides for terrain and packages in the rules...
Often, the arena contains pits, or land mines or some other suitable danger. Set up the dangers as you would terrain.
If a tank hits one of these dangers, they take a dangerous Terrain test with a modifier of minus however many point above 10 the armour value on the side entering first.
(i.e a tank with side armour 12 is shunted sideways into a danger marker. He takes a dangerous terrain test with a modifier of -2. he rolls a 3, which fails due to the modifier, and is duly Immobilised.)
Roll a scatter, and whichever side is pointed to is used for the "intrestin'ness". If a hit is rolled, use the small arrow. Highest bribe may roll again.
THIS BE MY YOUTUBE.
Writer for the MWC blog

elrad
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by elrad » Sun Oct 17, 2010 6:59 am

nice I'll try it out.
my armies:
dark eldar 2,500
[ ++++X+++++]

eldar
[+++++++++X] finished

Dez

Post by Dez » Sat Nov 13, 2010 7:31 pm

Alright, I'll be running this this Wednesday. I have another question ;) Where is the crate dropped, that has the 2d6 power up? Is it dropped before the first turn, or after all the players have had their first turn?

tTarragonable

Post by tTarragonable » Sun Nov 14, 2010 5:27 am

Well, the audience won't get worked up 'good an' propa' until they see some explosions, smell some exhaust etc. Deep strike them in after the first turn.

Anything else wants to add to the FAQ?
THIS BE MY YOUTUBE.
Writer for the MWC blog

Dez

Post by Dez » Sun Nov 14, 2010 9:56 am

Nothing yet, but I'll be taking notes on Wednesday.

I have this fun idea for a tank. I've already almost finished one, a Shooty Bad Moonz tank of course ;) But I started to wonder how fast I could make a tank.... :)

Dez

Post by Dez » Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:44 pm

Oi! Finally got some games in, and once we made some adjustments we had a blast.

The first thing to address is kills on the first turn. One of my buddies spent 3 hours building his tank, and I obliterated him before he even got to go. So what we did was add 3 Structure Points to each tank. Whenever there was a Wrecked or Destroyed result, the vehicle lost 1 structure point until they reached 0. That made things a lot better.

Another aspect we discussed was multiple tanks. I can see the advantage to this, as we mostly just sat there and shot each other. With multiple tanks, we'd have Flanking and other tactics to use which could make things more interesting. Personally, I felt it was ok as is once we added structure points and more than 3 players.

That brings up 2 additional points: We need more incentive to move. I think the Boxes are a good incentive, but not quite enough yet. We can talk about modifying the chart later.

The second point is Weapons Range. If I'm a Proppa Bad Moon (which is all I can be) then I'm going to load up on Gunz and blaze away. That means Deffgunz, which gives me range to the whole board. I think halving the range on weapons or at least reducing it would go a long way.

Tanks are going to get immobilized, there is no way around that. But wouldn't a proppa race car or demolition derby have a Pit Crew? YA they would! Give each player 3 Pit Crew automatically that work like one use Grot Riggaz. Modelling the pit crew alone would be fun!

So now we're moving, getting into closer range...why not have Grabba Clawz work like DCCW? Even if they worked like a Buzzsaw that would be cool.

When I think of Bouncy Legs, I think of bounding leaps that end in drop kicks. I think it would be awesome if Bouncy Legs lets you jump 12 to land on another vehicle to deliver a Str 7(More?) hit. Maybe at the cost of your shooting phase, or just raise the price or something.

Everyone took Deffgunz. They are the 'Duh' weapon.

Firing Drill Practice is awesome. Too awesome. It needs to be more points or capped at 1 time only.

Deffskullz Sneaky Gitz. They can take it unlimited times and just keep making people reroll to reroll. Stinky and powerful.

Goffz: Oh hi, here are 20 points in armor upgrades for free. That's not good. What I was thinking is the tank also has to roll 2D6 to determine the distance it can travel. Swap it with another ability and offer a points reduction for getting armor, and give them Big Horns for free instead?

Deffskullz need a range on the Tek Gun. We did it at 24" which was still damn good.

The Commander is a 'Duh' choice for the first to die if you roll to damage the crew. This has to be fine tuned a bit.

I don't see 'Making it Interesting' making it into a game. So why not just start doing it on the beginning of turn 3 or 4? That could be REAL interesting :)

That's it for now!

Dez

Post by Dez » Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:00 am

And a picture of our tanks! Though we are down one ;)

tTarragonable

Post by tTarragonable » Thu Nov 18, 2010 11:40 am

You have officially made my day with that picture :P I love the flying one :D

As for the Playtest...
:arrow: Death on the first turn is unfortunate, but I can't see a way of preventing it. What I could do, is say the aaudience get angry at such a quick death and say throw things at the killer tank? Say D6 S4 hits and -2 Bribe?

:arrow: Multiple tanks? I think we'd have to do something along the lines of an Apocalypse expansion for that :P

:arrow: Structure points... does make sense, but if a Battlewagon has 1, then how does a Grot tank get them? Maybe have another upgrade "Super 'Eavy Armour" for 1 more SP?

:arrow: Halving the range on the weapons sounds a good idea. I'll give all tanks the "It'z too puny fer dat!" rule and combine that with the armour limits :P

:arrow: Pit crew are good idea... Definately worth considering.

:arrow: Grabba klaws... Well how about a toned down DCCW and a claw. Say a S6 hit and can't move?

:arrow: Bouncy leg drop kick... I love it :P but i think that it has to be toned down a bit. Normal move and treat as dangerous terrain?

:arrow:we could have the price of FDP go up expodentially? first upgrade is 1, then 2, then 4, then 8... Scratch that, i'll add a couple teef to it

:arrow: Yeah, Sneaky Gitz is bad. Max of 1 re-roll per player turn perhaps?

:arrow: Goffz, well, perhaps not the best choice of clan upgrade. I like the Big Horns Idea though, I'll put it in.

:arrow: No range on Tek Gun :o oops. How's 12"?

:arrow: OK, so commander has to be more prominant. How about any shaken or stunned results now force a Ld check on Ld8?

:arrow: Makin it interessin on turn 3? Ooh, i like that idea :P
THIS BE MY YOUTUBE.
Writer for the MWC blog

Dez

Post by Dez » Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:48 pm

I'm still a big fan of having 3 structure points. We could even call it something fun, like Mek Glue or whatever ;) It made the game go a bit longer, and prevented hurt feelings. Nobody want's to lose a game before they even have a chance to play. I just wouldn't make it an option to buy more.

We also used a 4x4 table. I found it was easy to just have each person put their tank down on one board edge, 12" deployment zome 18" away from the other players.

Grabbin' Klawz sounds good!

I think Bouncy Legs needs to be the full 12" movement to give it the 'WAAAAGH' factor ;) Str 7 isn't so bad either especially with 3 structure points. This is why I suggested they have to forgo their shooting phase, because then it would just be a Kick> shoot> squig> death move. Bouncy Legs should not be able to be combined with any type of ram or deffrolla.

1 Reroll per round is good ;)

12" is very good, that will make people move around a bit more to get that nasty gun in range :)

The Commander is TOO prominent, and adding that would make it an even easier decision for your opponent to kill him off first. When you Damage Crew, he is the first pick because the BS of the tank gets reduced to 2. We need to balance this out. Either by making the Gunner/Driver juicier targets or by just losing the Damage Reroll.

tTarragonable

Post by tTarragonable » Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:33 pm

Dez wrote:I'm still a big fan of having 3 structure points. We could even call it something fun, like Mek Glue or whatever ;) It made the game go a bit longer, and prevented hurt feelings. Nobody want's to lose a game before they even have a chance to play. I just wouldn't make it an option to buy more. Fair enough, i get your point. I consulted my Ork spectators and they want exactly the same. So I made the meks give them a new rule called "GIVE 'EM A CHANCE!" That do?

We also used a 4x4 table. I found it was easy to just have each person put their tank down on one board edge, 12" deployment zome 18" away from the other players. Good idea.

Grabbin' Klawz sounds good! I'l stick them in!

I think Bouncy Legs needs to be the full 12" movement to give it the 'WAAAAGH' factor ;) Str 7 isn't so bad either especially with 3 structure points. This is why I suggested they have to forgo their shooting phase, because then it would just be a Kick> shoot> squig> death move. Bouncy Legs should not be able to be combined with any type of ram or deffrolla. Hmm, OK.

1 Reroll per round is good ;) And I also made the Deff Skull bonus to a minimum of 1, not 0

12" is very good, that will make people move around a bit more to get that nasty gun in range :) Maneuvering!

The Commander is TOO prominent, and adding that would make it an even easier decision for your opponent to kill him off first. When you Damage Crew, he is the first pick because the BS of the tank gets reduced to 2. We need to balance this out. Either by making the Gunner/Driver juicier targets or by just losing the Damage Reroll. OK... I'm thinking this.
Gunner killed = can only fire one weapon regardless of movement.
Driver killed = half movement.

Is that juicy enough?
THIS BE MY YOUTUBE.
Writer for the MWC blog