Hive Fleet Beluosis Log *PIC HEAVY* <-- New Pics July 31st

If it ain't human, and it ain't from the warp, then it must be Xenos.
Kymmerus
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Hive Fleet Beluosis Log *PIC HEAVY* <-- New Pics July 31st

Post by Kymmerus » Mon Oct 20, 2008 9:35 pm

Just Hive Fleet Beluosus

Q: You know what I like?
A: Tyranids!!!
(Perhaps enough to merit a Nid-ervention)

I’ve decided to post a running construction log here at MiniWargaming.com regarding the progress of my Hive Fleet. I Figured that I should finally make my mark in the ‘All Nids, all the time!’ forum section.

This first post is intended to give a general overview of my Tyranid collection. In the future I intend to post in detail regarding specific projects as I move on to them.

I’ve named my hive fleet ‘Beluosus’ after Earthsong’s Nemesis in the webcomic Earthsong from the link you can see it means ‘Full of Monsters’. I like the comic, love the character, and couldn’t think of a more fitting name for a Hive Fleet!

Currently I have 1000 Pts of it painted. Below are some examples of my completed Nids. But this is only the tip of the iceberg!

Pics of the Painted Stuff:

Super Extreme Zoanthrope Closeup!!!

Nids by the Numbers

Troops
Genestealers = 78
Gaunts (all types) = 365 (A gaunt a day the whole year through!)
Rippers = ~ 66 Bases (Exact count unknown… They’re without number!!!)

HQ
Hive Tyrants = 4
Tyrant Guard = 10
Malanthropes = 2
Broodlords = 2

Elites
Warriors = 45
Lictors = 4

Fast Attack
Raveners = 18
Red Terror = 1
Spore Mines = 55
Gargoyles = 16

Heavy Support
Biovores = 4
Carnifex = 14
Zoanthrope = 5

Gargantuan
Heirophant = 1
Barbed Heirdodule =1
Scythed Heirdodule =1
Trygon = 1

Total Models = 663
Estimated Total Points = ~16,000

Pics of the whole horde:

According to the last census I have 663* Tyranid Models which depending on load out comprises about 16,000 in points.

*(Includes 365 Gaunts and does not count rippers)

Percentage Breakdown (per model basis):

27% Unassembled
25% Assembled but not basecoated
40% Basecoated (Some of these meet the 3 colour rule but are far from done)
8% Fully Painted and Sealed

First goal is to bring those numbers to 25% across the board, but my desired paintjob takes a while to produce. I think of my paint scheme as a compromise between high quality and speed of production. This is a labour of love and a massive project that I hope all the MiniWargamers will enjoying seeing unfold. Additionally I can also use all the support and encouragement I can get to keep on painting!

Magnetic Personalities and How do I Transport this Mess?!?

I've considered the long term future of my army and with all these Tyranids I wanted to be flexible even through rules changes / new codices so everything from warrior size on up has rare earth magnetic limbs where applicable. Some test warriors and items even have things as small as toxin sacs magnetized via very small magnets. The idea is that everything but the smaller Tyranid models will have total biomorph flexibility. (I believe Miniwargming.com now sells most of the magnet types that I’ve used btw)

Additionally a lot of the plastic models have washers stuck to their bases for added weight (I hate tipsy hormagaunts) and also for magnetic transport. The trays that much of my hordes are sitting in have magnetic sheeting in their bottoms. Some for the larger light creatures (like plastic carnifexes) have the reverse, a rare earth magnet under their base with sheet metal in the trays.

This came about as I needed a system of transport that would allow me to pack and unload models quickly, and also store them in a minimum of space. Sabol foam trays work great for the bigger metal stuff everything else its jewelry ‘utility trays’ available here here and here

The last link also shows you one of the transport cases you can get made for these standard sized trays. All this stuff is relatively cheap and practical for moving and storing lots of figures.

Anyways I'm looking forward to that distant day when all my Tyranids are painted to a satisfying standard and to deploy the whole army is to see my opponent weep with despair that the devourer of worlds has come at last! :twisted:
Last edited by Kymmerus on Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:21 pm, edited 29 times in total.

JackTheTyranidGuy
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Re: Hive Fleet Beluosus Project Log <-- (Warning pic HEAVY)

Post by JackTheTyranidGuy » Mon Oct 20, 2008 10:07 pm

what color was the skin becuase my guys almost look like your guys but mines more like fine lined tron themed so can you tell me
Doritos!

Datastream
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Post by Datastream » Mon Oct 20, 2008 10:07 pm

Very nice paint scheme. What did you use for the skin of your nids? The tanish flesh color looks great.

Side note:
If my eyes do not deceive me, is that not Hive Fleet Shortbus. :P

Kymmerus
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Kymmerus » Mon Oct 20, 2008 10:14 pm

JackTheTyranidGuy wrote:what color was the skin becuase my guys almost look like your guys but mines more like fine lined tron themed so can you tell me
Datastream wrote:Very nice paint scheme. What did you use for the skin of your nids? The tanish flesh color looks great.
Its a base of Graveyard Earth, with Desert Yellow and Bleached Bone Layers
Datastream wrote:Side note:
If my eyes do not deceive me, is that not Hive Fleet Shortbus. :P
:mrgreen: Indeed it is! (Not the Official Name that I'm pushing but should my Tyrant and Warriors kill / wound themselves or their fellow broodmates any more often :oops: and its going to stick)

Rusty545
MiniWarGaming Zealot
Ribbons Earned: Participated in the Inaugural Painting Pledge

Post by Rusty545 » Mon Oct 20, 2008 11:43 pm

And I thought Matt had a lot of Tyranids...
Great job :wink:
Your Favourite Band Sucks

falknerblitz
Lost in the MiniWarGaming world...
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryWon a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge

Post by falknerblitz » Tue Oct 21, 2008 1:56 am

Rusty545 wrote:And I thought Matt had a lot of Tyranids...
Great job :wink:
thats exactly what i was thinking... :shock:

Joe
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said
Ribbons Earned: Participated in the Inaugural Painting PledgeHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' EntryWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeRED FLAG: Failed to complete a Challenge.
Location: I sleep on the MWG floor, curled up with my mini's.

Post by Joe » Tue Oct 21, 2008 7:43 am

That's a lot of bugs. Very nice, and I love the colours... too bad I wasn't around to see your army in action at the tournament.
If you're blue and you don't know
where to go to why don't you go
where fashion sits...
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD!

And that is why Kharn was cut from the original cast of Puttin' on the Ritz.

Eldar - 8000-ish
Space Marine - 1500+

Stephen
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said

Post by Stephen » Tue Oct 21, 2008 6:30 pm

Holy crap dude where do I even start

1: All those nids man, that's awesome. I'd love to see how these guys did in a Apoc match when they're done.
2: That's a lot of warriors. Did you max out the broods or something?
3: I LOVE the paint scheme (I've been working one one that incorperated blue and black but never could find one that I liked and then you made this!) Could you PM me how to paint this and what colors you used?
Sernpidal 25 ABY
Never Forget

Alvin

Post by Alvin » Wed Oct 22, 2008 12:13 am

Wow! :shock: I'm totally amazed by your collection man... I would call this the niddy-inspiration to collect nids... Mine is only a fraction of what you have, I will upload the pictures when I get a camera in my hands...

I seriously love the colour scheme, but I don't know how you have the patience to paint just so many!! My paint scheme is tedious so it gets really tiring...

And I have to focus on my other 5 armies too... I love looking at your nid pictures, they're so awesome... :D

Mine is:
149 models
5.35% Unassembled
12.1% Unpainted
82.55% Completed (Rippers only count when they are on their own bases and available to use for play)

Choco
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming
Ribbons Earned: Won a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by Choco » Wed Oct 22, 2008 3:03 pm

That is an amazing collection. They are painted really well. Love the colour scheme. :mrgreen:
Last edited by Choco on Thu Oct 23, 2008 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lingling
MiniWarGaming Zealot
Ribbons Earned: Participated in the Inaugural Painting PledgeHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting Pledges

Post by Lingling » Wed Oct 22, 2008 3:42 pm

Kymmerus wrote:Just Hive Fleet Beluosus

Earthsong from the link

Pics of the whole horde:

What is that That huge *** tyranid thing? It's metal with the resin arms and legs and head. that thing is huge
Link to my tyranids christmas poem
http://www.miniwargaming.com/forum/view ... f=2&t=3739 <-------

It's Been Awhile 'Eh? God damn I miss you guys, But I still won't be back for awhile. Cya Until then!

Fire Harte
Ribbons Earned: Group Build Badge #5Has Completed 5 Painting Pledges

Post by Fire Harte » Wed Oct 22, 2008 3:59 pm

Wowsies!

A horde indeed!

That wins, full army pics please? :mrgreen:

Alvin

Post by Alvin » Wed Oct 22, 2008 9:11 pm

It's a Heirophant... :D Probably the biggest creature ever lived in the 40k universe...

Kymmerus

Post by Kymmerus » Wed Oct 22, 2008 10:38 pm

Stephen wrote:Holy crap dude where do I even start
3: I LOVE the paint scheme (I've been working one one that incorperated blue and black but never could find one that I liked and then you made this!) Could you PM me how to paint this and what colors you used?
I'm actually going to post my next stage in raising this army. A batch of genestealers in a step by step as to how I do my paint scheme.
Lingling wrote: What is that That huge *** tyranid thing? It's metal with the resin arms and legs and head. that thing is huge
That is a Heirophant... its actually all resin and is a Bio-Titan from Forgeworld

This evening plans are afoot for the raising of a vast horde of painted gaunts by November 28th... so stay tuned!

Datastream
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Post by Datastream » Wed Oct 22, 2008 10:42 pm

I feel sorry for when you have to put together all those gaunts, then paint them to the level you have the rest of the army at. 0.o

You know most sane people would have chosen a less complex looking paint scheme for their gaunt hordes? lol

EDIT: I noticed none of your warriors have arms. Are you making them all magnetic?