Carnifex So much Damage?

If it ain't human, and it ain't from the warp, then it must be Xenos.
Phazed
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Carnifex So much Damage?

Post by Phazed » Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:47 pm

Ok i was at work today and absentmindedly thinking of the carnifex thats currently in the mail from Minwargaming. With Crushing claws, scything talons, a mace tail, toxin sacs, tusked, and implant attack would have potentially ten attacks on the charge and each of those attacks ignore armour saves and since the strength is 10 most untils will be instant killed.

Would this mean that a carnifex with all these upgrades could potentially kill up to 20 strength 5 or lower models without letting them have a save? I understand this is a very rare circumstance that this could happen but is it even possible? Sorry i dont have my codex yet either its in the mail with carnifex. Or am i missing something?
Take My love, Take my Land, Take me where i cannot stand, I don't care, I'm still free, you cant take the sky from me.

atyranidsplayer01
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Re: Carnifex So much Damage?

Post by atyranidsplayer01 » Mon Jun 22, 2009 10:03 pm

The only CC carnies that are worth it are cheap, elite ones. The enemy will shoot everything they have at it while screaming "OMG!!! Carnifex!! Its so big and scary!! Bring it down, bring it down, bring it down!!"

It will be a cheap distraction that can help your other units get into CC with more models, and distract them from other, more serious, yet more subtle threats. :) Its actually a win-win situation with one of these.

Kymmerus
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Kymmerus » Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:30 pm

I'm not a fan of a dedicated close combat carnifex... mainly because they're slow... and has low initiative.

Sure if it latches onto a vehicle (or even better a squadron) its going to be a can opener without equal, but even a dedicated shooter fex gets to do some decent close combat damage anyways... and for that reason I figure a mixed role carnifex like the boom fex (scything talons and barbed strangler) is usually a decent choice over a fully melee focused fex. Not to say that melee fex doesn't have its uses but I'm just not overly partial to them...

Save for perhaps the behemoth crusher brood... fleeting carnifexes with two sets of crusher claws is just going to bring a bucket load of apocalypse based pain...

Stephen
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said

Post by Stephen » Thu Jun 25, 2009 12:08 am

From experience (though I rarely break out the nids now) I can say that your long ranged Carnifexes will 3 outt a4 times do better then the CCs.

For 250 points I made a godfx and it was as it names says in CC...against anything but Terminators :( as I soon found out.

Bt even when it did reach the nemy line it usually only had 1-2 wounds left.

All in all I'm just syaing always take a boomfex ove almost anythng else. Cheap and deadly
Sernpidal 25 ABY
Never Forget

Lictor
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by Lictor » Fri Jun 26, 2009 6:46 pm

Phazed wrote:Would this mean that a carnifex with all these upgrades could potentially kill up to 20 strength 5 or lower models without letting them have a save?
Implant attack only works on multi wound models. You cannot kill more than 1 model with each close combat attack.

Damn Lucky
MiniWarGaming Regular

Post by Damn Lucky » Fri Jun 26, 2009 11:49 pm

I use for my fex:

2 Sything talons.
Tusked
Toxic Sacks
I Glands
WS Glands
Toxic Misma
Flesh Hooks
Renforced Chitin
+SV upgrade.

Toxic Misma reducing the enmy by 1, and WS glands increaseing yours by one. This effectively gives you +2 WS.

You always get 6 attacks on the charge, S10, hit before power fists, and your a pain the the butt for the enemy to take down.

I take two of these guys and it gives my enemy a panic attack.

dwarf king
MiniWarGaming Zealot
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesGroup Build Badge #5Group Build Badge #6

Post by dwarf king » Sat Jun 27, 2009 6:00 am

i have one of those myself (give or take a few upgrades) and what i found was that the big problem was getting into CC quickly as carnifexes aren't that fast, genestealers kill more, in fact my shooty fex (venom and barbed) kills stacks more than him!
Tyranids = 3,408
orks =4,181
ogres = 2,212
skaven =3975
ALL PAINTED AND BASED!

the pen is mightier than the sword...

If the sword is really small and the pen is really sharp

AnApothacary
MiniWarGaming Regular

Post by AnApothacary » Sun Jun 28, 2009 11:01 pm

whats a boomfex? :shock:
Success is measured in blood; yours or your ennemy's.

Armies :
Space Marines : Death Fists ~3000 pts
Tyranids : Hive Fleet Aquarius ~2200 pts
Necron : Tomb World Daedrus ~1500 pts

dwarf king
MiniWarGaming Zealot
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesGroup Build Badge #5Group Build Badge #6

Post by dwarf king » Mon Jun 29, 2009 7:12 pm

a carnifex with lots of gunz
Tyranids = 3,408
orks =4,181
ogres = 2,212
skaven =3975
ALL PAINTED AND BASED!

the pen is mightier than the sword...

If the sword is really small and the pen is really sharp

optimusblue19
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Post by optimusblue19 » Tue Jul 07, 2009 11:17 pm

I run my Fex with: Talons, Strangler, +1T, +1Sv, +1Ws, and +1 Bs.

It usually dominates the table pretty easily. Most the time i have at least 2 though.
They are extremely hard to kill and the Strangler pretty much takes out whatever i shoot at, as long as they don't save. Also it's pretty decent in CC, although i hope it never makes it into CC.

royalblood
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by royalblood » Wed Jul 15, 2009 1:58 pm

cant you deep strike carnis in apoc.
"I have an admirer! I am appeased." The Airman
"My fellow Americans, I am pleased to tell you I just signed legislation which outlaws Russia forever. The bombing begins in five minutes."
Ronald Reagon

vertigo116
MiniWarGaming Regular

Post by vertigo116 » Fri Nov 27, 2009 6:32 pm

I have made my carnifex incredibly difficult to kill, although there are some specific weapons able to kill it. While it is very expensive it has what i need, enemies will tend to shoot it up if possible. But a close combat fex isn't all that great. My ninja fex (remind me specifically what that is?) crushes tanks, and kills regular infantry. This being the case, don't actually use them on elite infantry. Soldiers with special skills with not only be faster, and more accurate than the carnifex; they may have special 4+ automatic wounds destroying carnifexes. So be careful, and let the monster have fun.
1. Space Marines Blood Angels 800+ (slow painter)
2. Tyranids 650+ (need place to spraypaint)
3. Enemy intelligence GROWING (THANKS TO THIS SITE)
MUHUHULAAAAAAAAAA

Mutanik
MiniWarGaming Veteran
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting Pledges

Post by Mutanik » Fri Nov 27, 2009 7:04 pm

royalblood wrote:cant you deep strike carnis in apoc.
Indeed you can! And I must say it is the best thing ever! Especially if you have two. Then you can distract them with your first then land the other behind it to cause unimaginable damage!
"nom" just doesnt quite say it.

salamut2202
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot

Post by salamut2202 » Fri Nov 27, 2009 10:06 pm

the thing about an expensive carnifex (or godfex) is that they aren't effective until they are in assault range and then they're deadly. people don't want that getting 100 m from their important units. i know all too well about this. as a tau player as soon as i see a godfex it's "all railguns, seeker missiles and markerlights on that unit'' and in the unlikely it survives that and gets close i run for the hills. it's a great distraction unit if you know how to use it that way

Smurfy
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by Smurfy » Fri Nov 27, 2009 10:10 pm

What? No, you only can take 1 of each upgrade...AND it says in the Rulebook all stats cap @ 10 unless otherwise noted. (Example: Bloodfeeders of Khorne can get more than 10 attacks as a result.)
According to my calculations, the problem doesn't exist.

Return to “Xenos Races”