thoughts on the Mawloc and how to use it

If it ain't human, and it ain't from the warp, then it must be Xenos.
noograss
Bronze Vault Member

thoughts on the Mawloc and how to use it

Post by noograss » Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:26 am

Hi,

I never played the mawloc because I would usually go for the Trygon but in my currently list i'm short in points :p
I was wondering if any of you had some input on how to use him at its best.

I would put him under a jormungandr hive fleet to give him a bit of resistance against shooting. and either bring in a troop the first time and then go back to do some dmg elsewhere or just use him as a bait.

any advice ?

TobyGaunt89
MiniWarGaming Regular

Re: thoughts on the Mawloc and how to use it

Post by TobyGaunt89 » Tue May 01, 2018 3:49 am

Well, the first thing to notice is that the Mawloc (unlike its Trygon/Trygon Prime counterparts) does not bring in another unit by its base rules. You would need to run Jormungandr Hive Fleet and spend Command Points to bring with you a unit. So just a headsup on that one.

The second thing that needs to be mentioned is that Mawloc's both lacks a shooting attack (that Trygon/Trygon Prime has) and fights with a distinct lack of AP penetration (at least when comparing it to the Trygon/Trygon Prime). This makes the Mawloc more so a "Horde Unit Killer" then a multiple purpose fighter (such as Trygon/Trygon Prime and/or Haruspex).

Thirdly, the Mawloc may have 1 more attack then both the Trygon and Trygon Prime, but the Trygon's fight at S7, while Mawloc fights at S6. Not to mention the difference in AP and Damage Value of each attack that you manage to land.

Lastly, even though Jormungandr seem to be the way to go, I would argue Mawloc's gain more from Kraken, Gorgon and Leviathan Hive Fleet rules. Kraken in order to get that "Hit and Run" ability so that you always strike first. Gorgon to boost Scything Talons abililty to add more Hit Rolls + Wound Rolls AND with Toxin Sacs and Hyper-Toxicity Stratagem adds more Damage 2 hits rather then Damage 1 hits.
Leviathan adds a 6+++ save, which will most likely add more against D3 and D6 damage weapons that will be vollyed against it. It's a hard choice; with AP -3 weapons in mind you can either have a 5+ save with Jormungandr or 6+ save with Leviathan that helps with D3/D6 damage weapons, where 6+++ rolls Ignore Wounds (even Mortal Wounds!).

With the change of "Deep Strike" rules in 2018 Errata/FAQ you also can't use its ability turn 1. So you have to wait to turn 2 or 3. If we say you pull the "Damage Deep Strike" rule to maximum effect it works like this.

(Turn 2) Pop in Turn 2, do on average 1 to D3 Mortal Wounds.
(Turn 3) Burrow in Turn 3.
(Turn 4) Pop turn 4, do on average 1 to D3 Mortal Wounds.
(Turn 5) Risk a Burrow or keep the on the board turn 5.

(Possible Turn 6) If you Burrow and the game ends turn 5, the Mawloc counts as having been slain, but if the game continues to turn 6 you're fine.
If you kept on the board, fight on hopeing that it doesn't get killed by your foe.

If Burrowed turn 5, final Pop in turn 6, do on average 1 to D3 Mortal Wounds. Last thing it will do in the game.
If kept on the board, either keep fighting or hide it to grab an final objective marker.

So as you can see, assuming the Mawloc lives throughout the game, you get two "safe" damaged based Deep Strikes (Dishing out, on average, 2-5 Mortal Wounds) and you can risk a third. Me personally, I would stick with the two safe ones and hope the game ends on turn 5 while keeping the Mawloc on top of a objective maker. But that's just me I guess.

Hope that helped and happy Wargaming :)

noograss
Bronze Vault Member

Re: thoughts on the Mawloc and how to use it

Post by noograss » Thu May 03, 2018 11:04 am

Hi,

thanks for the great response :)
It is indeed a nice plan to use it for mortal wound and then secure an objective at the end.

I find it a bit weird that it as a really weak damage output , but i guess it's because of its utility capacity.

I will play it with all your inputs in mind and see how it goes

thank again !