Tau support systems

If it ain't human, and it ain't from the warp, then it must be Xenos.
Deathwatch205
Silver Vault Member

Tau support systems

Post by Deathwatch205 » Fri Mar 23, 2018 6:55 am

Hi everyone I picked up the Tau codex yesterday and as I haven't played them before I was wondering what your thoughts are on the support systems for different units. I also bought the christmas Tau force consisting of:

1 Coldstar commander
2 x 3 stealth suits
1 x 3 crisis suits
1 Ghostkeel

Plus accompanying drones.

So all the help I can get would be helpful.
Thanks
2,000 points Deathwatch
1,850 points Blood Angels
1,000 points Astra militarum/Elysian drop troops

Deathwatch205
Silver Vault Member

Re: Tau support systems

Post by Deathwatch205 » Fri Mar 23, 2018 6:56 am

And I have also ordered Farsight to be my Warlord.
2,000 points Deathwatch
1,850 points Blood Angels
1,000 points Astra militarum/Elysian drop troops

TobyGaunt89
MiniWarGaming Regular

Re: Tau support systems

Post by TobyGaunt89 » Sun Mar 25, 2018 5:58 am

Deathwatch205 wrote:
Fri Mar 23, 2018 6:55 am
Hi everyone I picked up the Tau codex yesterday and as I haven't played them before I was wondering what your thoughts are on the support systems for different units. I also bought the christmas Tau force consisting of:

1 Coldstar commander
2 x 3 stealth suits
1 x 3 crisis suits
1 Ghostkeel

Plus accompanying drones.

So all the help I can get would be helpful.
Thanks
Looks like a solid starts for a T'au Empire list. Next you should go for some Troops to get that the Command Points going :)

As for Support System you have to center them around what you want to do with your T'au army in general. Questions that need to be answered are:

A) Is the army going to be largely stationary; forming the role of a gunline army (like that of the Imperial Guard)?
B) Is the army going to be "wave-strike" based (basiclly seperating your army into 3-4 waves of units that each takes a step dealing with your foe one after another)?
C) Is the army going to be Hit & Run based (using Manta Strike/Infiltrator moves to force your opponent to deal with you across the board)?

Once you've answered question A, B and C then this is the time you should focus on Sept and Support Systems abilities.

If we take your content listed above, I'd say go with:

Coldstar with triple fusion and a Drone Controller.

3x Crisis Bodyguards with double CYB. Two with Advanced Targeting Relay, and the third with Shield Generation. (Keep them within 3" of the Coldstar during Manta Strike).

4-5 Markerlight Drones (Keep them within 3" of the Coldstar during Manta Strike).

Ghostkeel with Cyclic Ion Raker, 2x Burst Cannon, Target Lock and Early Warning Overide. Keep the two Stealth drones within 3" all the time.

Stealth Suits with either Fusion Blaster and Early Warning Overide system. Or Burst Cannons and Advanced Targeting Relay system. Depending if you aim to fire them at Vehicles/Monsters; and is also a scary area deny against enemy Deep Strike units. Or if you aim to further boost your Infantry gunline, use the second combination. This combo is cheaper, but not nearly as scary to face on the board.
In addition, keep them within ca 12-18" of the Ghostkeel at all times. This is to make the most of the Wall of Mirrors stratagems. This is very important to use as they can be withered down pretty fast if left unattended.

If you want to make the most of the mentioned content above, I'd pick Vior'la Sept or Sa'cea Sept. One grants you mobility and the other a re-roll per/unit. The second Sept may not seem as much to begin with, but getting another Markerlight to hit or a successful Fusion Blaster shot to hit can be the difference between a win or a defeat in the long game. + Sa'cea grants access to two stratagems that affect your ability to control Markerlights instead of just one. Markerlights are a key componant in any T'au list, so never understock your army on models that can dish them out.

Hope that helps and also try different things out yourself. Wargear is of course very dependant on gameplay and what army you are facing.

Happy wargaming. :)