Thoughts on the new Tau codex?

If it ain't human, and it ain't from the warp, then it must be Xenos.
Gamer-Guy
Bronze Vault Member

Thoughts on the new Tau codex?

Post by Gamer-Guy » Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:22 pm

I was wondering what everyone’s opinions were of the new Tau codex.

I think that’s it’s a big step up from the index. Should be fine for casual play, but I’m not sure how it’s going to preform in a tournament setting. I’ll have to play around with some list ideas, to really get a better idea of what works, and what doesn’t.

TobyGaunt89
MiniWarGaming Regular

Re: Thoughts on the new Tau codex?

Post by TobyGaunt89 » Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:04 am

The T'au Empire codex seem to be pretty ok. It may not be the top tier released codex to date, but it has its pros and cons just like all other codex'.

In my view. here are the Pros:

1) Solid Stratagems. They add bonuses to themes that both benefit the T'au in game and follows the lore.

2) 3-4 good Relics are good and worth while taking. Most codex' may pick only 1-2 of their collective Codex relics, but Tau generally have 3-4 that you'd like to take every game (Puretide Chip, Vector Thrust, Mirror Field and Fusion Blades relics).

3) Tau, Vior'la and Bork'an Septs are all great septs to choose from.

And the Cons in my view are:

1) Dal'tyh and Sa'cea Sept are not so great. They should have been:

Dal'yth Sept: Vanishing Tide

Through a combination of tactical maneuvering and elaborate positioning the T'au of Dal'yth aims to strike at the heart of their foe before they are even seen. Camouflaged to their surrounding they later shift into seemingly hidden pathways as though they were never there; disapating like the tide of a soaring wave.

Whenever a unit arrives via Manta Strike or Infiltrator rules, until the start of the next friendly movement phase, benefits from cover even if in open ground. In addition, if a unit with this sept makes a Fall Back move and ends its move more then 6" away from any enemy units your opponent must subtract 1 from any to hit rolls that target this unit until the start of your next movement phase.

Sa'cea Sept: Becalming Fortitude

Students of both history and war, the T'au of Sa'cea seeks to plan each strategic move on the battlefield with the express intent of being one step ahead of the enemy. Through this methodical style of warfare, Sa'cea achieves an almost unrivaled sense of serenity when the mental challanges of war face them. Allowing them to endure hardships that others would have subcume to aeons ago.

Whenever a unit with this sept takes a Moral Test, it may add or subtract 1 from the result. Furthermore, if all Sa'cea units required to take a Moral Test successfully passed their Moral Test you may roll a single D6. On a roll of a 5+, you regain 1 Command Point used earlier in the game.

2) Ethereal Convocations are still pretty bad. With Sense of Stone being the only one that generally will see play (with perhaps Zephyr's Grace in a Vior'la Detachment being the one exception).

3) Missed opportunity on boosting the Tau with the Overcharge mechanic. This is the biggest miss GW did with the T'au Empire codex in my view. Since Overcharge could be a way to bolster the Tau shooting phase for a cost (suffering Mortal Wounds to yourself) this could have been a nice trade- off for not having access to Smite and other similar damage output. Overcharge could have done one of two things:

A) Increase the amount of shots fired by a weapon (most likely Burst and Plasma Weapons).
B) Controlling damage output (most likely Rail, Fusion and Ion Weapons).

As an example of A, this could be Burst Cannon:

Regular = Same stats as Codex.
Overcharge = Assault 6, with other stats the same.
However, at the end of the shooting phase, roll a D6 for each weapon that Overcharged in the unit. On a roll of 1, 2 or 3, the unit suffers a Mortal Wound.

As an example of B, this could be either the Fusion Blaster or Railgun.

Fusion Blaster:

Regular = Same as Codex.
Overcharge = Same stats as Regular, but rolls 2D6 and picks the highest at entire range instead of only half range. (See Mortal Wound Overcharge rule above).

Railgun:

Regular = Same as Codex.
Overcharged = Same stats as Codex but with Flat 6 damage profile rather then D6 damage. This mode affectively replaces the Submunition profile and see would use the Mortal Wounds Overcharge rule seen above.

To this end, Overcharging (and/or using the Nova Reactor rules) adds a significant boost to the army, but at a cost. Self-inflicted Mortal Wounds do stack up and when tallied with damage your opponent may cause you may end up losing the model if you are too careless with the amount of times you Overcharge.
Also note, that this is once PER WEAPON, not PER MODEL. So if you Overcharge say three weapons, you would have to roll three D6 to see if the model would suffer any mortal wounds from Overcharge mode.

Well, that's my view anyway.

Gamer-Guy
Bronze Vault Member

Post by Gamer-Guy » Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:28 am

I forgot to mention a few things that I feel we needed.
1) no reliable way to inflict mortal wounds.
2) no way to deal with psykers
3) I feel like battle suits should have been BS 3+ especially with all the negative hit modifiers.(an alternative could be a stacking +to hit modifier from markerlights)

TobyGaunt89
MiniWarGaming Regular

Post by TobyGaunt89 » Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:45 am

Gamer-Guy wrote:
Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:28 am
I forgot to mention a few things that I feel we needed.
1) no reliable way to inflict mortal wounds.
2) no way to deal with psykers
3) I feel like battle suits should have been BS 3+ especially with all the negative hit modifiers.(an alternative could be a stacking +to hit modifier from markerlights)
Well, judgeing from the content in the Codex you largely got what you wanted.

1) The only ways of getting Mortal Wounds is via either Destroyr Missiles or To Wound rolls of 6+ with Railguns.

2) This is 100% on par with the Codex. Tau have no defense against Psychic Powers (either via unit based Abilities, Relics or Stratagems).

3) This was probobly the only one that did not happen. And I also disagree with you on this one. T'au Empire should overall be 4+ To Hit as this is the guiding factor of "random generation" of hit/miss for T'au. They are more consistant in their To Wound rolls in the Shooting Phase then any other army.
But like I stated in my comment earlier in this forum, what T'au Empire lacked in this Codex was a way of making the Damage Value profile more consistant (such as turning a Normal Mode shot into an Overcharged Mode shot). Had this been the case T'au would have had a good range against Infantry and enough wound allocation to deal with 10+ Wounds Monsters/Vehicles. The big question is, and always will be, with T'au Empire is 'Can you make your To Hit rolls or not'.

T'au Empire will always have a tough time against -1 To Hit armies but will generally do well against all other armies that come their way.

Gamer-Guy
Bronze Vault Member

Post by Gamer-Guy » Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:30 am

I retract my statement about mortal wounds.
Sun shark bombers are actually very good at dealing mortal wounds.

I can kinda get your argument for only having a 4+ to hit, but I still feel that, as a purely shooter army, we should be a bit more reliable in our shooting phase.

TobyGaunt89
MiniWarGaming Regular

Post by TobyGaunt89 » Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:07 am

Yes. The Sun Shark can dish out a great deal of Mortal Wounds.

True, but if we look at say. Alpha Legion or Raven Guard as examples of the -1 to hit armies, it is worth to mention that they only get that while being beyond 12". If you get in close, and use markerlights (other boosts) you can get around that. :)

Gamer-Guy
Bronze Vault Member

Post by Gamer-Guy » Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:33 pm

Voir’la is fast enough to get in close, and farsight enclaves wants to be close too.

I wonder what the tournament meta will look like.