[2000] - Tyranids - Leviathan {Competitive Play}

If it ain't human, and it ain't from the warp, then it must be Xenos.
Akaitsuki
MiniWarGaming Veteran

[2000] - Tyranids - Leviathan {Competitive Play}

Post by Akaitsuki » Sat Dec 23, 2017 2:17 am

So what would I struggle against in a competitie setting? I'm very confident on my list and my skills with running Tyranids. I'm interested in discussing potential threats and perhaps weaknesses I might've missed. People usually say Flyers, but I find that i can deal with them just fine while largely being able to ignore them for objective purposes.

++ Brigade Detachment +9CP (Tyranids) ++

Hive Fleet: Leviathan

+ HQ +

Neurothrope: Psychic Scream, Warlord Trait: Perfectly Adapted

The Swarmlord: Onslaught, The Horror

Tyranid Prime: Deathspitter, Scything Talons, The Ymgarl Factor

+ Troops +

3x Ripper Swarm

3x Ripper Swarm

3x Ripper Swarm

3x Ripper Swarm

Termagants
30x Termagant: Devourer

Termagants
30x Termagant: Devourer

Tyranid Warriors
3x Tyranid Warrior: Scything Talons, Venom Cannon
6x Tyranid Warrior: Devourer, Scything Talons

+ Elites +

3x Venomthrope

3x Zoanthrope: The Horror

+ Fast Attack +

3x Spore Mine

3x Spore Mine

3x Spore Mine

+ Heavy Support +

Biovores: Biovore

Stratagems on Deck:
Digestive Denial 2cp [To avoid giving marines 2+ saves in cover]
Metabolic Overdrive 1cp [Pretty handy for Venomthropes]
Psychic Barrage 1cp [To punish units grouped together such a Guilliman+Razorbacks]
Single-minded Annihilation 2cp [The GO TO stratagem to make Gaunts shoot twice as much as possible]
Caustic Blood 1cp [If termagants get assaulted this is a good way of killing the attackers]
Voracious Appetite 1cp [Swarmlord can make good use of this]
Death Frenzy 2cp [Swarmlord can make good use of this]
Feeder Tendrils 1cp [For Venomthropes good way to regain cp]
Adrenaline Surge 3cp [Swarmlord can make good use of this]
Grisly Feast 1cp [Situational but good when it works]

Game Plan:
Light 'em up! Gun 'em down! I recently won a local Tournament with Tyranids using Hive Fleet Hydra and 90 Gaunts+Tervigon combo to great effect, so I got home after and wanted to come up with some more highly effective competitive lists. This one is one of them, but I'm mostly using it as a testing ground for the Zoanthropes and to see how effective the Psychic Barrage stratagem really is.

Hive Fleet Leviathan because I wanted a change of pace and it works well with Zoanthropes which is what I really wanna fully test out. Neurothrope warlord because he is resilient and easy to keep alive specially with the perfectly adapted warlord trait. Swarmlord because he can guarantee that the real killers of the list (Termagants) can get into great firing position with Hive Commander and Onslaught.

Speaking of which, after running over a dozen games of which I won all but 1, spamming 2 units of 20 genestealers in almost every list, I have come to the conclusion that Termagants are the real all-stars they may not stand out as MVPs right away but they def output more damage and with the stratagem to shoot twice they out perform just about anything else the Tyranids can put on the table. 90 Bolter shots will bring a lot of pain to even Magnus as proven by the fact that I shot him down in 1 turn during my Tournament appearance and this was all while he was protected by a -1 to hit from the changeling. Though admittedly I dedicated 300 bolter shots (rerolling 1s to hit/wound) to him to accomplish this.

Spore Mines are really really really good for filling out a brigade and blocking deep strikers in parts of your deployment zone where you dont want to place any key units but dont want to leave yourself vulnerable either. Ripper Swarms are really good at snatching far away objectives and also at zoning enemy deep strikes if you get your turn before theirs.

Warriors are decent I brought them along because they excel in Hive Fleet Leviathan increasing their durability while also providing much needed synapse to make full use of the Hive Fleet bonuses. Warriors would be a top choice for troops if not for how brutally effective gaunts are.