I can't make Necrons work, what am I missing?

If it ain't human, and it ain't from the warp, then it must be Xenos.
Mach-Ten
MiniWarGaming Zealot
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entry

I can't make Necrons work, what am I missing?

Post by Mach-Ten » Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:09 am

This isn't a gripe, I know we are waiting on a codex, but I should be at least able to have fun with them right ?

I'm looking for some .. tricks I guess.. to try out a few things that aren't C'tan Deceiver shenanigans

here's my list I played against Chaos recently (and lost badly)

I didn't get turn 1, so there's that

20 Berzerkers were warptimed into the Lychguard who put up a good fight for half a turn, but they got the brunt of THREE activations in the fight phase thanks to rules and stratagems.

the wraiths went as the next speedbump to hold back the tide

while I tried to get Praetorians around the back ... they charged a daemon prince after shooting it .. so that's 30 attacks on 3's and wounding on 5's ... scratched 3 wounds off it and then got wiped out ..

tesla immortals and warriors all buffed for better BS from CCB and Szarek just got saved against ...

charged the bloat drone with the CCB, Warscythe didn't even dent it ...

DP charged in retaliation and wiped out the CCB .. even with QS and the WL trait ..

the heavy destroyers were awesome, MWBD on them is great, but they eventually fell to daemon onslaught along with the triarch stalker ..

Just asking myself what I can do here ?

Raschier
MiniWarGaming Veteran
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting Pledges

Re: I can't make Necrons work, what am I missing?

Post by Raschier » Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:51 am

Make the Immortals a group of 10 or drop them, they are just underwhelming when they are with 5 and easily removed. Also take more warriors (im groups of 20) to benefit more from the reanimation protocols, and force the enemy to focus fire on them. Those are things I have noticed when playing against Necrons, for I don't play them myself.

Bojazz
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming

Post by Bojazz » Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:38 am

I second taking more warriors and I'm groups of 20. They're one of the necrons' best units right now just because of how difficult it is to wipe a full unit of 20, especially when they're buffed with survival bonuses like ghost arks and reanimation shenanigans.

Your lychguard could use a delivery mechanism. I think a night scythe can transport them and it would keep them off the table, protected from getting alpha'd. It would also help them get into combat faster and against things they actually want to fight.
Craftworld Eldar - Power Level 360
Orks - Power Level 70

Mach-Ten
MiniWarGaming Zealot
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entry

Post by Mach-Ten » Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:56 am

Bojazz wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:38 am
I second taking more warriors and I'm groups of 20. They're one of the necrons' best units right now just because of how difficult it is to wipe a full unit of 20, especially when they're buffed with survival bonuses like ghost arks and reanimation shenanigans.

Your lychguard could use a delivery mechanism. I think a night scythe can transport them and it would keep them off the table, protected from getting alpha'd. It would also help them get into combat faster and against things they actually want to fight.
I agree, transport is deffo an issue here

but that's either 381 points of Monolith which is pretty underwhelming firepower ... or a flyer that's going to be on the table turn 1 and is going to get shot out of the sky ... leaving anything on the tombworld - Dead.

I prefer to have boots on the ground, but at least 100% going to turn up.

Otasolgryn
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Post by Otasolgryn » Tue Dec 19, 2017 5:49 am

The big blob of warriors can also be used as a screen.

If they are all around your important stuff, he cant charge it.

And your warriors are rather durable.

And when not needed for screening, they are useful.
As opposed to conscripts...

Mach-Ten
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by Mach-Ten » Tue Dec 19, 2017 6:34 am

Otasolgryn wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2017 5:49 am
As opposed to conscripts...
Conscripts are very useful !! - you lay them down in the mud so you don't get your Baneblade dirty..

TobyGaunt89
MiniWarGaming Regular

Post by TobyGaunt89 » Mon Dec 25, 2017 1:46 pm

Reading from your list. I see a lack of:

1) Necron Warriors. The Necron Warriors should make up the majority of your Troop ration (E.I. your Points Total or Power Ratio). Granted this causes your army to "castle up" into fewer units across the board, but it also makes the most of your Reanimation Protocols rolls. Units of 20 is given for them.
Also, the Triarch Stalker will give the boost to shooting for these 20 Necron Warriors.

2) Immortals with Tesla Carbine(s) are fine when it comes to deal with Horde armies but simply lack the armour piercing against MEQ units (Marine equivilent units of Toughness 4 and 3+ Armour Save or better). If you are going to run them, stick with Heavy Gauss weapons and focus your shooting at your opponents Elite and/or Fast Attack options.

3) Lack of Scarab Swarm Squads. At mere glance they seem "useless", but these little critters (in units of three) can help you to do one of two things on the board. A) Negate "Deep Strike" areas for Jump units/Terminator units for a cheap cost. By placing them around your units (say within 3" of one of your units) you can force the enemy Deep Striking unit another ca 5-8" away from your more valuable unit. B) Send them headlong towards an enemy unit that likes to shoot in the shooting phase. If they are locked in combat they either have to fight the Scarabs or Fall Back. Either way, they are not shooting at you anymore during that time. (E.I. don't forget that the Fight Phase can help you as well as your opponent. So don't get too caught up in the Shooting Phase).

4) Replace the 10 Triarch Praetorians (you already have 10 Lychguard) with a Night Scythe. Adding a Flyer will grant you more mobility on the board and will also give your Lychguard an ability to Deep Strike on the board rather then having to run across the board being shot at.

Other then that I'd say your list is pretty ok. Necrons, much like with all armies, will however have matchups that simply don't favour them. I think it's easier for you to beat Space Marines then say Chaos Space Marines. With one carrying the Fight Phase better then the other. Necrons, in general, hates the fight phase. So for you, it's more a question of "How do I mitigate the Fight Phase?" rather then "How do I win during the Fight Phase?".

And as a final side note; I think it was wrong for your opponent to run a Psyker in the same list that contains Berzerkers. Berzerkers (if I am not mistaken) use Khorne keyword and should not have Psykers in them. Don't know if it's against the rules to do so. Just dirty in my view.

Hope you have a better game next time and the best of wishes to you :)

Plutarch
Silver Vault Member

Post by Plutarch » Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:00 am

Well, I'm not a necrons player, but I can tell you you're missing something very important that I don't think anyone mentioned. A codex. Yes, a codex. The index is okay, the chapter approved may have helped a little more, but they still seem lackluster without a codex.

Gamer-Guy
Bronze Vault Member

Post by Gamer-Guy » Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:23 pm

Plutarch wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:00 am
Well, I'm not a necrons player, but I can tell you you're missing something very important that I don't think anyone mentioned. A codex. Yes, a codex. The index is okay, the chapter approved may have helped a little more, but they still seem lackluster without a codex.
Tau feel the same way.

Ronin
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by Ronin » Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:45 am

Grey Knights laugh at the belief having a codex will save them. :lol: :lol: :cry: :cry:

Aclys
Silver Vault Member

Post by Aclys » Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:08 am

Going to echo some of what has been said, if you bring troop units, max squadsize or dont bother, likewise tesla no longer have the perk of usually wounding on 2+ like in 7th and against marines, chaos or loyalist, the str 5 ap-2 is leauges ahead of str 6 ap 0. The sheer weight of cron warriors with str 4 ap -1 is a fine middleground.

Avoid the croissants, the tesla destroyers are awful and with no invul, quantum armor or other means of surviving the first turn of enemy shooting anything valuable you have them transport will just make the opponent that much more keen to turn up the heat on it.

One Possible strategy is use a obelisk + night scythe. Make the enemy choose, kill the croiss and prevent you from landing a squad someplace dangerous or kill the obby to remove a huge, expensive unit. Of course, an enemy with anti air weapons or enough lascannons can probably kill both and thus nix the lychguards in the bargain...

Bottom line, if you want to mess with deepstrike style deployment, use the deciever, units with built in deepstrike etc. Croissants are too expensive and fragile and can only deploy one unit a turn.