Tyranids - Pheromon Trail uselss now ?

If it ain't human, and it ain't from the warp, then it must be Xenos.
noograss
Bronze Vault Member

Tyranids - Pheromon Trail uselss now ?

Post by noograss » Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:02 am

Hi,

the FAQ is here and the genestealers cannot beneficiate from the pheromon trail.
what is it good for now ? how do you intend to use Pheromon trail ?

Is there a way to put units as reserve like hormagaunts ?

thanks,

noograss
Bronze Vault Member

Re: Tyranids - Pheromon Trail uselss now ?

Post by noograss » Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:36 am

From what i saw, it can be combined with 'endless swarm' stratagem, but it becomes really expensive then :p

Akaitsuki
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Post by Akaitsuki » Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:12 pm

noograss wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:02 am
Hi,

the FAQ is here and the genestealers cannot beneficiate from the pheromon trail.
what is it good for now ? how do you intend to use Pheromon trail ?

Is there a way to put units as reserve like hormagaunts ?

thanks,
It is indeed dumb as hell now. I am house ruling it in my gaming group to declare units being put into 'reserve' via the stratagem allowing units such as hormagants to be able to be placed in reserve for that specific stratagem as the 'locale'. Thus if my opponent kills my Lictor or I use up all my CP before bringing said unit into play, the unit counts as being destroyed. This seems like a fair compromise to me. In a way it's sort of like giving the stratagem the ability to allow an infantry unit to be placed in reserves, or to look at it from an alternative point of view, allowing the stratagem to use reinforcement points to bring an infantry unit in. Otherwise the stratagem is indeed useless and stupid as an option. What I don't understand is why clarify that yes you can bring a unit in at the same time that you bring a Lictor (by placing the lictor first) and then tell us that NO UNITS can be placed in the first place.

noograss
Bronze Vault Member

Post by noograss » Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:09 am

Hey,

Well i found a way to use it. You need the Hive jormungandr which allows you to use the Stratagem tunnel network ( put a infantry unit in reserve, this unit can be put into play with either a ravener/trygon/mawloc unit).

Once you deepstrike you ravener/trygon/maxloc, if you have a lictor alreayd in play, you can then use the stratagem pheromn Trail.

all this for 2-3 CP ( i don't remember the cost of tunnel network). It can be usefull for a multi attack, genestealers +trygon with hormagaunts/devilgaunts + lictor :p

To be use as a fun tactic ^^ i don't think it would do great in competition haha