Craftworld Codex Discussion

If it ain't human, and it ain't from the warp, then it must be Xenos.
Bojazz
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming

Craftworld Codex Discussion

Post by Bojazz » Sun Oct 29, 2017 5:59 pm

Picked my craftworlds codex up this weekend and as I read through it I keep finding neat little synergies. So any fellow eldar players, post your gimmicks, trickery, and other shenanigans here! Also, anything you're particularly happy or unhappy with?

- One of the neat things I'm looking forward to trying out are 10 Swooping Hawks with the Quicken psychic power. Deep strike in, make a grenade attack, quicken to make an additional move - move over an enemy unit and make a second grenade attack, then shoot them with 40 lasblaster shots!

-using the double psychic power range stratagem to prevent enemies from being able to deny a power you cast at them.

And as I mentioned in another thread - a hemlock with horrify, a warlock with embolden, and a farseer with mind war for a potential 8 mortal wounds!

One thing I'm a little unhappy with is the new Autarchs. They are no longer allowed to take most of the weaponry and wargear they had access to before. Gone are the days of having an Autarch accompany a particular aspect unit to support them in some way. Now they seem to be fashioned into a generic beatstick of 3 variants. On foot with a Glaive (no options), in wings with a pistol and sword (no options), or on a bike with a power sword, lance or fusion gun. No banshee masks or Mandiblasters, no Warp Jump pack variant, no reaper launchers, lasblasters, death spinners, chainswords, etc etc etc. They're very bland now. Just imagine how upset you'd be if you had this guy! Nothing on this model is allowed in the game anymore.
RIP
Last edited by Bojazz on Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:02 am, edited 4 times in total.
Craftworld Eldar - Power Level 360
Orks - Power Level 70

Lord-Terrycus
Silver Vault Member

Re: Craftworld Codex Discussion

Post by Lord-Terrycus » Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:41 pm

With the overall multiple points decreases? I think it’ll go pretty well.
First Knight Alexi Barsov Of Redclaw

Ronin
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by Ronin » Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:37 am

So sad autarchs lost so many options. I wanted to run my Ariya model with the Shard of Anaris, but the only infantry model with a power sword is the one with wings. I guess I'll just fluff it that she's also a supernatural assassin who can go ridiculous speeds.

General-Kroll
Bronze Vault Member
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by General-Kroll » Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:51 am

Yeah the Autarch thing is very disappointing, I’m actually considering voicing complaint on this to GW. They’ve no excuse for this, especially when they have given rules for a dreadknight grandmaster, and a non Primaris Lieutenant.

Only got my Codex this morning, so haven’t had a chance to have an in depth look yet. But I’ve flicked through it, and on the whole it’s pretty cool.

jwak
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Post by jwak » Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:42 am

One thing I just spotted... Star cannons have literally halved in price, down to 15 points each. Seems like they might be an OK choice for use against multi-wound infantry now.

Bojazz

Post by Bojazz » Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:59 am

Ronin wrote:
Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:37 am
So sad autarchs lost so many options. I wanted to run my Ariya model with the Shard of Anaris, but the only infantry model with a power sword is the one with wings. I guess I'll just fluff it that she's also a supernatural assassin who can go ridiculous speeds.
I'm not sure who Ariya is, but the Autarch on Jetbike also has the option to take a Power Sword if that helps? A couple Exarchs can take Power Swords too, but they're not Characters so you're out of luck there :/

- Getting back to my Swooping Hawk shenanigans, Do you think I could use the Swooping Hawk grenade pack special rule if I used the Fire and Fade stratagem to move them over an enemy unit? Swooping Hawks can use their grenade pack attack "as they fly over an enemy unit in the movement phase". Fire and Fade allows them to "move 7" as if it were the movement phase". Does moving in the shooting phase as if it were the movement phase proc rules that movement causes only in the movement phase?
Orks - Power Level 70

Koonitz
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting Pledges

Post by Koonitz » Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:11 am

Bojazz wrote:
Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:59 am
- Getting back to my Swooping Hawk shenanigans, Do you think I could use the Swooping Hawk grenade pack special rule if I used the Fire and Fade stratagem to move them over an enemy unit? Swooping Hawks can use their grenade pack attack "as they fly over an enemy unit in the movement phase". Fire and Fade allows them to "move 7" as if it were the movement phase". Does moving in the shooting phase as if it were the movement phase proc rules that movement causes only in the movement phase?
I would say no. They move as if it were the movement phase. It does not make it the movement phase. For instance, can they advance? I would say no, as other rules allow a unit to move outside the movement phase, if I recall correctly, and mention that they can advance during this movement. For instance, the Swarm Lord.
Armies:
40k: Knights Cynosure Iron Hands successor chapter, House Terryn Questor Imperialis, Thousand Sons/Tzeentch Daemons
30k: Thousand Sons
Age of Sigmar: Sylvaneth, Disciples of Tzeentch

Bojazz

Post by Bojazz » Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:19 am

Koonitz wrote:
Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:11 am
I would say no. They move as if it were the movement phase. It does not make it the movement phase. For instance, can they advance? I would say no, as other rules allow a unit to move outside the movement phase, if I recall correctly, and mention that they can advance during this movement. For instance, the Swarm Lord.
Actually, the Fire And Fade stratagem specifically mentions that the unit cannot advance as a part of this move, which seems to indicate that movement phase rules do apply - otherwise they wouldn't have had to specifically override being able to advance. A question along the same lines: If I am playing in the Fire and Fury Battlezone, would the Swooping Hawks have to roll for Burning Skies when moving with Fire and Fade? "Burning Skies: Units that can FLY must roll a dice each time they move in the Movement phase (roll after they have completed their move). On a roll of 1, they suffer D3 mortal wounds."

Conversely, if all normal movement phase rules DO apply - then If I used this stratagem on my Crimson Hunter, would it immediately die due to not being able to move it's minimum move distance?
Orks - Power Level 70

Koonitz
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting Pledges

Post by Koonitz » Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:26 am

To the GeeDubzEmailmobile?
Armies:
40k: Knights Cynosure Iron Hands successor chapter, House Terryn Questor Imperialis, Thousand Sons/Tzeentch Daemons
30k: Thousand Sons
Age of Sigmar: Sylvaneth, Disciples of Tzeentch

Bojazz

Post by Bojazz » Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:30 am

Sounds good to me!
Orks - Power Level 70

Bojazz

Post by Bojazz » Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:24 pm

So a couple more fun tidbits I've been noticing:

- shadow spectres have a native - 1 to be hit rule. Stack that with alaitoc craftworld bonus, conceal, and lightning quick reflexes stratagem for a -4 to be hit by shooting and -2 in melee!

- taking a brigade detachment is very worth it for the +9 cp. You can manage to get about 13 cp out of a 2000 point list, and if your list contains an Autarch as an Ulthwé Warlord, you'll be getting a CP back on a 6 as you spend it, AND rolling for +1CP each player turn! That means even MORE cheesy, tide-turning stratagems!
Last edited by Bojazz on Tue Oct 31, 2017 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Orks - Power Level 70

jwak
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Post by jwak » Tue Oct 31, 2017 6:08 pm

Definitely agree about wanting as many command points as possible. Haven't had a chance to get a game in yet but just reading through the book it's clear that the power comes from using the stratagems and combos they can make (storm guardians in combat... Cast enhance on them, add in supreme disdain and discipline of the black guardians... You're now getting extra attacks on 4s!!)

Woukdnt the Autarch have to be the Ulthwe Warlord in your example? Path of Command states the Autarch only replenishes CP's on a 6 if they're the warlord

Bojazz

Post by Bojazz » Tue Oct 31, 2017 6:23 pm

Yes, sorry I meant "As an Ulthwé Warlord", not "And" haha. Good catch!
Orks - Power Level 70

Bojazz

Post by Bojazz » Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:30 pm

More shenanigans! Howling Banshees and a Warlock in a transport. Disembark 3", move/advance 8+D6". Warlock casts Quicken on the Howling Banshees, they move/advance another 8+D6". That's 21"-31" of movement from the transport. And then they add 3" to charge distance, so another 5-15", denying overwatch. And if they're part of a Saim Hann detachment, they can re-roll that charge distance! That an infantry unit moving 26"-46" in one turn ON FOOT. Literally doing flips and stuff across the entire table. If you really want to, you could use the matchless agility stratagem to guarantee a 6" advance roll on them too!
Orks - Power Level 70

Ronin
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by Ronin » Sat Nov 04, 2017 3:11 pm

Can I just say I think the Alaitoc craftworld rule is on the OP side? My friend ran a troll list with almost a hundred guardians and it seemed ridiculous that all of them would get -1 to hit. I feel like the -1 bonus should only be given out on the first battle round. Same applies to any faction with this rule, to be honest. Either that or have it only apply to infantry < 10 models.

Return to “Xenos Races”