Craftworlds New Codex list: 2000 Points Wraith

If it ain't human, and it ain't from the warp, then it must be Xenos.
Lord-Terrycus
Silver Vault Member

Craftworlds New Codex list: 2000 Points Wraith

Post by Lord-Terrycus » Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:27 pm

Vanguard Detachment

-HQ-

Farseer, Standard

-Elites-

Three Wraithblade units with Ghost Axes and Force Shields

Wraithblade unit standard

Spearhead Detachment:

HQ

Farseer

Heavy Support

Three Wraithlords with Aeldari Missile Launchers and Ghost Glaives

Three Warwalkers with Aeldari Missile Launchers

This comes in at 2003 Points, the plan is for the army to sit back and let the enemy come to them. Wraithlords and Warwalkers shooting their missiles into the enemy while the Wraithblades charge anything that gets too close. The Farseers simply buffing the heck out of whatever they need to. I believe that -1 to hit would be better then Iyandens, but I wanted some opinions first.

I’m mostly going against Marines or Tyranids, Marine player likes LandRaiders, Nid likes Genestealers.
Last edited by Lord-Terrycus on Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
First Knight Alexi Barsov Of Redclaw

General-Kroll
Bronze Vault Member
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Re: Craftworlds New Codex list: 2000 Points Wraith

Post by General-Kroll » Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:55 pm

Seems like a nice use of the SC box. While the -1 to hit is handy, you may be better off with the 6+ fnp.

You’re going to be a little short on command points, may be worth investing in some troops so that you can field a brigade or battalion instead.

Lord-Terrycus
Silver Vault Member

Post by Lord-Terrycus » Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:31 pm

General-Kroll wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:55 pm
Seems like a nice use of the SC box. While the -1 to hit is handy, you may be better off with the 6+ fnp.

You’re going to be a little short on command points, may be worth investing in some troops so that you can field a brigade or battalion instead.
I would agree, but I would only be 1 short of a person with a Battalion, and my usual opponents (since I haven’t mentioned it!) are Marines and Tyranids. I’ll make sure to add it to my post.

Koonitz
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting Pledges

Post by Koonitz » Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:44 pm

Lord-Terrycus wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:27 pm
This comes in at 2003 Points
Depending on what type of game you are playing, you should not plan to go above any particular points limit. For instance, a tournament with a 2,000 point limit does not allow you to go above that limit, even by 1-3 points.

A friendly game, people probably don't care, but I'd still plan to keep your lists below so as not to get into the habit of going above when you aren't allowed, or shouldn't.
Armies:
40k: Knights Cynosure Iron Hands successor chapter, House Terryn Questor Imperialis, Thousand Sons/Tzeentch Daemons
30k: Thousand Sons
Age of Sigmar: Sylvaneth, Disciples of Tzeentch

Bojazz
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming

Post by Bojazz » Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:51 pm

If the marine player likes landraiders, I would very highly suggest bright lances. Missile launchers are good, but the AP on bright lances really is amazing.

Wraithblades REALLY benefit from spiritseers. The ability to re-roll 1s in combat is pretty amazing for them, and spiritseers can use enhance/drain to greatly affect the outcome of their combats. You might consider swapping/proxying a farseer for one.

The -1 to hit faction rule only works for enemies past 12 inches, so it won't help much against the nids, or your wraithblades in combat. I agree that the 6+ FnP will be more useful for you overall. If you want -1 to hit, a spiritseer with conceal could protect your entire Wraithblade force while you advance.

I like the list though! Lots of room to add on in the future, too! Bonesingers, wraithknights, wraithseer, hemlock, etc!
Craftworld Eldar - Power Level 360
Orks - Power Level 70

Lord-Terrycus
Silver Vault Member

Post by Lord-Terrycus » Tue Oct 24, 2017 3:18 pm

Okay, renewed list:

Vanguard Detachment

HQ:

Spirit Seer

Warlock

Troops:

Five units of Wraithblades with Ghostswords

Spearhead Detachment

HQ:

Two Farseers

Heavy Support:

Three Wraithlords with Bright Lances and Ghostglaives

Three Warwalkers with Aeldari Missile Launchers

The idea is that the Wraithlords can deal with heavier vehicles while the Warwalkers do a mix of light anti-infantry and anti-light monsters/tanks. Same plans otherwise, HQ’s for buffing up and Wraithblades for anti charge. Using the 6+ to stay in the game.

Ronin
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by Ronin » Tue Oct 24, 2017 4:19 pm

I'd lean going alaitoc because you're going to need to weather firepower for a couple turns while you try to close the distance. The big problem with this list is it's extremely slow and you're going to need to spam webway strike to close the distance. Bonesingers might not be a bad unit to pair them with seeing how they just released rules for it.

Bojazz

Post by Bojazz » Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:50 pm

It's a tough decision. Both craftworlds have advantages and disadvantages. A Marine with a Bolter has a 6.173% chance to wound a Wraithblade with the 6+ FnP, or a 5.556% chance to wound one with the -1 to hit, which is only a 0.617% difference between the two (in Alaitoc's favour). However, Alaitoc has a chance at negating ALL the damage from a muilti-damage weapon (by making them miss), whereas the Ulthwé bonus only mitigates a single damage per successful roll. At the same time, the Alaitoc Fieldcraft only works when you're over 12" from the attacker, whereas the Ulthwé bonus works for the entire game.

Against Genestealer Heavy nids, Ulthwé is the clear winner, and Alaitoc is almost useless.
Against Landraider Marines, Alaitoc is much more useful against those high damage guns and Ulthwé is just alright.

For your situation I would probably take an Ulthwé detachment, but for a TAC list going to a LGS I'd probably pick Alaitoc.
Orks - Power Level 70

Lord-Terrycus
Silver Vault Member

Post by Lord-Terrycus » Tue Oct 24, 2017 6:25 pm

Now the question is, which would be better for my army? Wraithblades with Shields or the Swords? Extra attacks or an invulnerable?

My genestealer enemy usually has an Exocrine as part of his army, if that makes any difference. Strength 7, -2 AP, Two Damage.

Bojazz

Post by Bojazz » Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:26 pm

Personally I'm a fan of the shields. The durability it gives them is just too good to pass up and it makes them hit like a truck. On top of that I think the cost of the forceshield/Ghostaxe combo got a point reduction in the new codex! Having said that, with the amount of wraithblades your list contains I think a healthy mix of both would be best. Swords will make short work of those genestealers, Axes/shields will be handy against literally everything in the space marine army.
Orks - Power Level 70

Lord-Terrycus
Silver Vault Member

Post by Lord-Terrycus » Wed Oct 25, 2017 1:38 am

Bojazz wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:26 pm
Personally I'm a fan of the shields. The durability it gives them is just too good to pass up and it makes them hit like a truck. On top of that I think the cost of the forceshield/Ghostaxe combo got a point reduction in the new codex! Having said that, with the amount of wraithblades your list contains I think a healthy mix of both would be best. Swords will make short work of those genestealers, Axes/shields will be handy against literally everything in the space marine army.
A 6 point reduction, making it 55 rather then 85 points to upgrade. If I removed the Farseers/Proxied them as Spiritseers and removed the Warlock I’d be able to upgrade three units to Shields and Axes.

Ronin
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by Ronin » Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:56 am

Although if you want to be fluffy, going Iyanden makes the most sense since you're using so many wraith units. ;)

Lord-Terrycus
Silver Vault Member

Post by Lord-Terrycus » Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:11 am

Ronin wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:56 am
Although if you want to be fluffy, going Iyanden makes the most sense since you're using so many wraith units. ;)
True. However, doing my own personal Craftworld. So literally trying to work on whatever they are gonna do.