Ronin Starts Eldar

If it ain't human, and it ain't from the warp, then it must be Xenos.
blippityblip
MiniWarGaming Veteran
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entry

Re: Ronin Starts Eldar

Post by blippityblip » Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:32 am

I don't remember any mention of that at all in the index, I'm not a fan of any of the models so would rather field a farseer or autarch
power levels
Iron hands 1384pl
Ynnari 88pl
Admech 162pl
Imperial guard 326pl
Chaos 128pl
Space wolves 110pl
Tyranids ?

And a small dwarf army

jwak
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Post by jwak » Sat Oct 21, 2017 10:43 am

It wasn't in the index, it was in FAQ version 1.1

Here's the exact quote:
'' Page 76 – Army of the Reborn
Replace this paragraph with the following:
‘If the Warlord of your army is either Yvraine, the
Visarch or the Yncarne then – with the exception of
<Haemonculus Coven> units, Urien Rakarth, Drazhar,
Mandrakes and the Avatar of Khaine – any Aeldari
unit can also be Ynnari.''

blippityblip
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Post by blippityblip » Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:20 pm

That's annoying, I've got a small Ynnari army and had no intention of getting any of the three characters as I didn't like the look of them, now I don't know if I should get rid of the dark eldar parts and make it a craftworld army, convert up one of the three models or just sell/swap the lot...
power levels
Iron hands 1384pl
Ynnari 88pl
Admech 162pl
Imperial guard 326pl
Chaos 128pl
Space wolves 110pl
Tyranids ?

And a small dwarf army

Bojazz
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming

Post by Bojazz » Sat Oct 21, 2017 3:32 pm

blippityblip wrote:
Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:20 pm
That's annoying, I've got a small Ynnari army and had no intention of getting any of the three characters as I didn't like the look of them, now I don't know if I should get rid of the dark eldar parts and make it a craftworld army, convert up one of the three models or just sell/swap the lot...
I vote a converted yncarne. He's beastly on the table, and I'd love to see what you come up with!
Craftworld Eldar - Power Level 360
Orks - Power Level 70

blippityblip
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Post by blippityblip » Sat Oct 21, 2017 4:04 pm

It's tempting, or I'll just do a small dark eldar army and small craftworlds army and put them in different detachments, I'll have to think on this
power levels
Iron hands 1384pl
Ynnari 88pl
Admech 162pl
Imperial guard 326pl
Chaos 128pl
Space wolves 110pl
Tyranids ?

And a small dwarf army

Ronin
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by Ronin » Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:36 am

I must be blind, but where are the points cost for Exarchs? I'm viewing the digital version.

Bojazz

Post by Bojazz » Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:06 am

Exarchs have been free since 8th edition hit :) It is not mandatory for a unit to take them, but if you want one, you can take one!
Orks - Power Level 70

Ronin
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by Ronin » Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:42 pm

So first list with the new codex! I was hoping to get some Howling Banshees to add, but my friend canceled so I had to make due with the collection I had so far.
HQ
- Autarch w/Wings (Fusion Pistol and Shard of Anaris)
- Farseer (Witchblade, Doom, Fortune)

Troops
- Dire Avengers (5 man, Exarch w/Double Avenger Shuiken)

Elites
- Wraithguard (5 man, Wraithcannons)
- Wraithguard (5 man, Wraithcannons)
- Striking Scorpions (10 man, Exarch w/Scorpion Claw)
- Bonesinger
- Bonesinger

Fast Attack
- Swooping Hawks (6 man, Exarch w/Hawk's Talon)

Dedicated Transport
- Wave Serpent (Twin Shuriken Cannon, Shuriken Cannon, Star Engines)
- Wave Serpent (Twin Shuriken Cannon, Shuriken Cannon, Star Engines)

Lord of War
- Wraithknight (Titanic Ghostglaive and Shimmershield, 2x Starcannons)
1-5 on the difficulty scale? I'd probably say it's a 2/5 (Easy to beat).

Bojazz

Post by Bojazz » Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:05 pm

It's not the greatest, but it looks like a good start! A couple changes I'd suggest:
- In my opinion, Rangers are now the best troops choice. Dire Avengers seem fine, but you should try to throw at least one unit of rangers in, even if only as a defense against deep strike deployment armies or a back field objective holder. Your min-squad Dire Avengers seems like you're just trying to "pay the troops tax" for a Batallion. Rangers cost the same as a Dire Avenger now, so you would actually be saving points (because of the Exarch) by taking them.

- I'm a bit torn about your Wraithguard. Wraithcannons are good, but every miss in a unit 5 of is a lot of missed firepower. D-scythes may do less damage on average to vehicles and monsters, but their auto-hitting is incredibly valuable. The D-scythes are also amazing defensively if they get charged, and makes them more usable against elites and hordes if your opponent has little to no big things. If you want to stick to Wraithcannons, then I would suggest taking a Spiritseer, and throw it and all your Wraith units and Bonesingers in a Vanguard Detachment and giving them the Iyanden Faction. This would give your wraithguard units the morale boost, let you never have to worry about your Wraithknight's stats deteriorating, and give you +1 CP, which you could spend on the "Guided Wraithsight" stratagem, allowing you to re-roll all failed hit rolls for any enemy units within 12" of the Spiritseer for a turn. Not to mention the Spiritseer can cast protect or conceal on a wraith unit, giving them 2+ armour or -1 to be hit. Remember that faction bonuses are per-detachment, so the rest of your army could still take whichever faction bonus they want.

- Your Wave Serpents would benefit more from Vectored Engines than Star Engines. I'm assuming their purpose is to zoom across the table to deliver the wraithguard to a juicy vehicle or monster (or out-of-place Character). Considering they are your only reliable anti-armour, they're going to have to be able to weather a lot of shooting as they are a high target priority, so that -1 to hit would really help. The Wraithknight will take time to hit his target due to being melee, and he'll be able to weather the storm pretty well with 2 bonesingers following him around. Alternatively, you could Cloudstrike the Serpents in for 2CP and forego the star engines entirely, forcing your opponent to fire at the Wraithknight for a turn or 2, which can just heal up with 2 bonesingers anyways.

- Overall your anti-armour/Monster firepower is low. I know how much you love that melee Wraithknight, so I won't bother suggesting the default variant. Perhaps you should look towards some Bright Lances or Fire Prisms? Bright Lance War Walkers are pretty brutal, especially if they're Guided by your Farseer. Their ability to Outflank will let them keep up with the rest of your mobile force, and could be very handy for catching a juicy target off-guard. Of course, if you know your opponents will be taking horde armies, then this should be fine.

The more I read through this codex, the more I feel like Eldar are a CP-Oriented army, relying heavily on the shenaniganry of their Stratagems and Psychic Powers to win games, and I love it! So be mindful of which stratagems you want to use! For this army, it seems like you're going to be in your opponent's face immediately, so I don't think the Alaitoc faction bonus would suit you. You might consider the Biel Tan one due to your high number of Aspects and Shuriken Weaponry, or you could go with Ulthwé for a little bit of added resilience. Stratagems I would recommend to keep in the back of your mind would be:
- Court of the Young King (for your Striking Scorpions if you choose the Biel Tan faction. +2 Charge distance, and re-rolling 1s to hit.)
- Guided Wraithsight (if you take my above advice with the Wraithguard)
- Lightning Fast Reactions (-1 to hit an infantry or Wave Serpent unit for a shooting or fight phase. This coupled with the -1 to be hit from Vectored Engines virtually guarantees your Wraithguard will get to their targets)
- Supreme Disdain (can give your entire Striking Scorpion unit the Exarch ability of generating additional attacks)
- Tears of Isha (if things go very very wrong, this could be a last-ditch effort to keep that Wraithknight at peak efficiency long enough to make a difference)
Orks - Power Level 70

Ronin
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by Ronin » Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:36 pm

I forgot to mention that the craftworld of choice is Iyanden. 8)

Min squads I figured would be better since you can unlock more exarchs and special weapons that way and we play with the first turn variant where the player with less units get +1 to their roll rather than automatically go first. Also, it helps with damage mitigation when there's overwhelming firepower like from a blast weapon. I was debating on D-scythes vs Wraithcannons and I've seen the former do tons of work. However, I figured there's enough anti-infantry on the table that I could try to run wraithcannons to be more focused against anti-tanks/mc's. Not sure if it'll work out, but I'm curious.

Return to “Xenos Races”