Ronin Starts Eldar

If it ain't human, and it ain't from the warp, then it must be Xenos.
Signet-Powers
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming

Re: Ronin Starts Eldar

Post by Signet-Powers » Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:23 pm

That titan looks awesome. Gotta say that i've never really been big on most of the eldar titans pics I've seen, but the tall skeletal hunchback pose and the dark color gives it a really menacing and dangerous aura. Reminds me a bit of an EVA Unit. It's looks especially cool compared to the little Captain down there.

Ronin
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by Ronin » Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:33 am

The guy I bought it off of was planning on painting it Uthwe, but it'll be gold and blue for Iyanden colors when im done lol.

Also did some mathhammering and I found that you could probably take it down in a 5 turn game with about 1750 points of dedicated anti tank weapons.

Bojazz

Post by Bojazz » Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:40 am

Just watch out for macro weapons! Double damage vs titanic enemies REALLY hurts. I watched a tyranid bio-titan wipe 3 Wraithknights single handedly before. It was scary.
Craftworld Eldar - Power Level 360
Orks - Power Level 70

Signet-Powers

Post by Signet-Powers » Sat Oct 14, 2017 9:45 am

Ronin wrote:
Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:33 am
The guy I bought it off of was planning on painting it Uthwe, but it'll be gold and blue for Iyanden colors when im done lol.
Gold's a good choice, yellow can be a bit... garish (sorry to anyone with yellow minis :( ). That Wraithknight looks cool so I'm sure this will too. You gonna be adding some weathering to them, like rust or something?

General-Kroll
Bronze Vault Member
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by General-Kroll » Sat Oct 14, 2017 2:46 pm

Signet-Powers wrote:
Sat Oct 14, 2017 9:45 am
Ronin wrote:
Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:33 am
Gold's a good choice, yellow can be a bit... garish (sorry to anyone with yellow minis :( ). That Wraithknight looks cool so I'm sure this will too. You gonna be adding some weathering to them, like rust or something?
I always wonder what the equivilant of rust would be for wraithbone. Eldar technology is grown by bonesingers, so it’s not metal.

Signet-Powers

Post by Signet-Powers » Sat Oct 14, 2017 5:33 pm

Well bones can rot so I'd say it's that. Though, a quick google search tells me that rust is the result of Iron mixing with Oxygen And the moisture in the air.

Now I may not be a scientist, but, GW tends to be vague on what materials are made out of, so it could be argued that there's large traces of iron that can be found in a wraithknight similar to how we humans have Iron in our bodies/bones.

Or something like that, I dunno.

General-Kroll
Bronze Vault Member
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by General-Kroll » Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:14 pm

Signet-Powers wrote:
Sat Oct 14, 2017 5:33 pm
Well bones can rot so I'd say it's that. Though, a quick google search tells me that rust is the result of Iron mixing with Oxygen And the moisture in the air.

Now I may not be a scientist, but, GW tends to be vague on what materials are made out of, so it could be argued that there's large traces of iron that can be found in a wraithknight similar to how we humans have Iron in our bodies/bones.

That’s true enough. At the end of the day, people can paint their models any way they like and explain it how they like can’t they. That’s one of the great things about the hobby, and why I prefer it when there’s a few gaps in the fluff.

Bojazz

Post by Bojazz » Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:42 am

Signet-Powers wrote:
Sat Oct 14, 2017 5:33 pm

Surprisingly, Wraithbone is one of the things GW ISN'T very vague about. They've gone pretty in-depth into it since the Eldar culture revolves around it. It's crystallized psychic energy. By focusing intently, Eldar can bring energy from the warp into reality and harden it into any shape they wish. Since it is pure psychic energy, it can not only act as a psychic power conductor for their vehicles, but it can also react to their thoughts (or even the thoughts of a soul in a soulstone, which is how wraith constructs work). This is how Eldar armour is so flexible, but hard at the same time (it changes shape with their thoughts and reactions), and also how they pilot their ships - by physically merging their bodies and minds with various parts of the ships so functionally, they ARE the ship. It also naturally emits a kind of psychic shield, which protects them from predators in the warp (which is how the craftworld eldar survived the birth of slaanesh in the first place). So unfortunately, I don't think psychic energy has an iron content. Even if the psychic field was somewhat magnetic in nature and accumulated iron over time, rust isn't magnetic so it would simply fall away as it rusts.

Come on guys, we've GOT to think of a way Wraithbone can gain a rust-like appearance! It doesn't seem to break down over time, as evidenced by the ancient wraithbone eldar ruins which appear weathered and overgrown, but not decayed. They even power back up immediately if an eldar focuses on them.

Perhaps, since they are made from energy from the warp, they have a small physics-breaking effect, causing reality itself to deteriorate along the surface if not properly maintained? That could maybe take on a rust-like appearance?
Orks - Power Level 70

General-Kroll
Bronze Vault Member

Post by General-Kroll » Sun Oct 15, 2017 12:27 pm

Nice info there bojazz. I’d say it could be possible for wraithbone to become tainted somehow or infected with something that makes it deteriorate.

Signet-Powers

Post by Signet-Powers » Sun Oct 15, 2017 12:35 pm

I did a bit more reading and essentially rust is the iron litteraly crumbling away into dust at an atomic level.

So, your suggestion could work Bojazz, though i'd change it slightly, let's say that the longer the wraithbone is exposed to real-space, the more the crystalised material starts to flake away and turn back into pure, unrefined phsychic energy.

Though I like the idea of it being infected...

Bojazz

Post by Bojazz » Sun Oct 15, 2017 1:13 pm

I second the idea of infected energy breaking down the crystal structure! The eldar spend a lot of time fighting chaos, and the necrons have entropic weapons as well, so it could be a result from those battles. I like the idea of psychic decay, but since the ancient eldar ruins aren't decayed at all I'm hesitant to go with that option. The negative energy infection sounds badass, and would explain why only some eldar have "rust" and most others don't.
Orks - Power Level 70

Ronin
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by Ronin » Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:09 am

I like how my unfinished Wraithknight started a discussion on if wraithbone could rust. xD It's still in progress so the colors are still pretty streaky, but interesting to think about, nontheless.

I did get a few games in with my Eldar yesterday. One was a tutorial practice game with a nooby at 500 points and I discovered how versatile Swooping Hawks are with positioning and how great they are at dealing with T3. We played Take and Hold from the Open War cards and I found how effective they can be at contesting folks' objectives. Also Dire Avengers were pretty solid at gunning down even a maulerfiend thanks to Doom and some good rolls on my end and bad ones on his. The second game was 1000 points against my oldest adversary who plays tau and he hit me like a truck with his alpha strike crisis spam list. I almost was able to put up a counter attack with my wraithguard, but they whiffed on the D-scythe shots even with soulburst. The only highlight of the game was my Yriel proxy, Ariya, charging into a pack of suits and singlehandely slicing half of them before going down and me calling the game.

I think considering how tough it is to play eldar right now (at least until the codex comes out) I'm gonna have to put the goofy idea of random squad sizes on hold and go for min squads so that I can maximize on how often soul burst happens.

Ronin
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by Ronin » Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:35 am

Am I not allowed to use Ynarri if I don't have the Triumvirate in my army? I read an faq that sounded like they're required now. :/

jwak
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Post by jwak » Sat Oct 21, 2017 2:11 am

Yeah you've got to have at least one of the triumvirate in your army, and they have to be your Warlord if I remember correctly.

Ronin
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by Ronin » Sat Oct 21, 2017 3:45 am

That sucks. I've been breaking the rules in my gsmes with them then. Sounds like it's back to the drawing board.

Return to “Xenos Races”