Commander and Army Help!

If it ain't human, and it ain't from the warp, then it must be Xenos.
obiguzkenobi
Now we're getting somewhere...

Commander and Army Help!

Post by obiguzkenobi » Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:46 pm

Hey all!

Im pretty new to 40k and tabletop games in general for that matter. I'm trying to help my girlfriend out with what to get me for my birthday coming up. I selected the tau to play and working on building a commander right now. Still don't know what weapons to equip him, but that's a different question. Back to the main question. My girlfriend has offered to get me some models for my up coming birthday. Being new I don't really know what to suggest. What would you all suggest she pick up along with a start collecting set? And what would you suggest for a commander loadout. Thank you all for the help!

jwak
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Re: Commander and Army Help!

Post by jwak » Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:00 am

I don't have a great amount of experience with Tau (never played as them) but based purely on what I've seen in online battle reports and my local meta, Commanders with 4 fusion blasters seems very popular and powerful.

As for what else to buy, perhaps some pathfinders so you can make the most of markerlights? Or some more fire warriors so you can have two squads of 10?

Again, I don't have loads of experience with Tau so please take my advice with a pinch of salt. I'm sure there are far more knowledgeable people on this forum who can help. Above all else, buy things that you think look cool!

blippityblip
MiniWarGaming Veteran
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entry

Post by blippityblip » Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:20 am

Easiest way to decide on what you want is for you to look at the range and decide what you like the look of most, if you like the idea of a mechanised army then a devilfish and a hammerhead should be on your list, if you want an army where their all in suits then maybe some more crisis suits and a broadside, if you wants boots on the ground then more firewarriors and pathfinders, it all really depends on what you like and how you want your army to look/play.

My friend has recently started a tau army, at first he bought a start collecting set, some stealth suits and a fireblade, he's now got himself a second start collecting set because he wants more crisis suits and firewarriors, he's not
Overly keen on the really big suits and decided to go infantry heavy, I think next on his list was a broadside, pathfinders and a third start collecting set (why buy crisis suits on their own when you can get crisis suits and firewarriors for a little more)
power levels
Iron hands 1384pl
Ynnari 88pl
Admech 162pl
Imperial guard 326pl
Chaos 128pl
Space wolves 110pl
Tyranids ?

And a small dwarf army

coldsteel
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming

Post by coldsteel » Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:31 pm

blippityblip wrote:
Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:20 am
and a third start collecting set (why buy crisis suits on their own when you can get crisis suits and firewarriors for a little more)

God, yes, that thing is the best bargain I've ever seen!
Crucifiers (SM codex) (11881/703 PL)
Orks (3745/255 PL)
Astra Militarum (####/378 PL)
Fallen Crucifiers (CSM codex) (####/351 PL)
Khornate Daemons (####/65 PL)
Death Guard (2387/128 PL)
Primaris Marines (1099/60 PL)

obiguzkenobi
Now we're getting somewhere...

Post by obiguzkenobi » Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:37 pm

Thank you so much for the reply all.

I have been kind of been having a change of heart when it comes to my army choice. I also own a full start collecting set of the ad mech/ skitarii almost painted up.

My main hold up is with both factions is one the tau don't have much of a close combat unit or any psychic ability. With the ad mech they are very limited when it comes to overall unit choice and no troop transport. That or just into a completely other direction and go tyranids.

Being a brand new player I don't know what would be a good route to go. Any input is greatly appreciated. Your advice was super helpful with the tau as is!

blippityblip
MiniWarGaming Veteran
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entry

Post by blippityblip » Wed Aug 30, 2017 6:05 pm

obiguzkenobi wrote:
Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:37 pm
Thank you so much for the reply all.

I have been kind of been having a change of heart when it comes to my army choice. I also own a full start collecting set of the ad mech/ skitarii almost painted up.

My main hold up is with both factions is one the tau don't have much of a close combat unit or any psychic ability. With the ad mech they are very limited when it comes to overall unit choice and no troop transport. That or just into a completely other direction and go tyranids.

Being a brand new player I don't know what would be a good route to go. Any input is greatly appreciated. Your advice was super helpful with the tau as is!
If your trying to decide between three armies then as it's your first army (unless I'm misreading) go for the one you like the look of most, don't worry about things like close combat or transports, you can find ways to play your army around any weaknesses they have, you'll also notice that if your army has a weakness then it will also have a strength to make that weakness less of a worry, for instance tau have little close combat, however they usually shoot anything dead before it gets near enough to be a danger in combat, if something does try to assault them then various nearby units get to add their fire to the overwatch. Admech don't have transports... everytime I've played with my skitarii I've not noticed that to impede them, their bigger things want to be shooting every turn so don't want to be sitting in a transport.
power levels
Iron hands 1384pl
Ynnari 88pl
Admech 162pl
Imperial guard 326pl
Chaos 128pl
Space wolves 110pl
Tyranids ?

And a small dwarf army