GSC Cult Ambush Tag Along

If it ain't human, and it ain't from the warp, then it must be Xenos.
LordOrwell
Now we're getting somewhere...

GSC Cult Ambush Tag Along

Post by LordOrwell » Thu Jul 27, 2017 3:57 am

The Cult Ambush rule allows A Genestealer Cults (GSC) Character to pick one friendly GSC Infantry to arrive with it. If I select another GSC Infantry Character to arrive with the first Character, could the second Chacacter also select a a different unit to arrive with it from cult ambush, given that they must still follow the 6" deployment restriction?

For example, a Magus selects an Acolyte Iconward, who in turn selects a squad of Neophytes, and they all arrive together via Cult Ambush.

My logic being that the first character selects the second character, and since no dice have been rolled, the second selects a unit as well.

Thoughts??

Salamand3rs4Lyfe
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Re: GSC Cult Ambush Tag Along

Post by Salamand3rs4Lyfe » Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:40 pm

Like a four armed conga line? I guess It might work but i dont see any reason for the conga line to be necessary.
Armies i collect:
11,115pts csm The Privileged
7,268pts Salamanders
1,200pts gsc Sons of Jormangandr

blippityblip
MiniWarGaming Veteran
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entry

Post by blippityblip » Fri Jul 28, 2017 4:36 am

Salamand3rs4Lyfe wrote:
Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:40 pm
Like a four armed conga line? I guess It might work but i dont see any reason for the conga line to be necessary.
You can use it to have less drops at deployment, instead of deploying 1 unit, your deploying 3 (or more) units in a single go
power levels
Iron hands 1384pl
Ynnari 88pl
Admech 162pl
Imperial guard 326pl
Chaos 128pl
Space wolves 110pl
Tyranids ?

And a small dwarf army

Koonitz
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting Pledges

Post by Koonitz » Fri Jul 28, 2017 5:33 pm

blippityblip wrote:
Fri Jul 28, 2017 4:36 am
Salamand3rs4Lyfe wrote:
Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:40 pm
You can use it to have less drops at deployment, instead of deploying 1 unit, your deploying 3 (or more) units in a single go
Not quite, no.

While I'm unfamiliar with the wording overall, I believe this particular rule only allows them to tag along when they come in from Ambush reserve, not when you deploy them. So they must still be deployed as normal, one at a time and each separate unit counts towards your "No more than 50% in reserve" limitiation.
Armies:
40k: Knights Cynosure Iron Hands successor chapter, House Terryn Questor Imperialis, Thousand Sons/Tzeentch Daemons
30k: Thousand Sons
Age of Sigmar: Sylvaneth, Disciples of Tzeentch

blippityblip
MiniWarGaming Veteran
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entry

Post by blippityblip » Fri Jul 28, 2017 5:42 pm

Your right, it doesn't effect drops, it does however allow the units to use the same result on the cult ambush table, which makes it useful, as otherwise your character could deploy 9inches away from the enemy but your units deploy on the table edge meaning suddenly your character is all on his lonesome with an army staring at him through their gunsights
power levels
Iron hands 1384pl
Ynnari 88pl
Admech 162pl
Imperial guard 326pl
Chaos 128pl
Space wolves 110pl
Tyranids ?

And a small dwarf army

LordOrwell

Post by LordOrwell » Sun Jul 30, 2017 5:01 am

I must admit, the particular combo im looking at is for maximum usage of the primus reroll ability, and not having to take multiple primuses, and get my patriarch where he needs to be, with the unit he needs to be with.

My chain would be primus -> patriarch -> purestrain genestealers. gnarly right? even if the rule WAS made to where you can daisy chain, its still risky. The chance still exists for all 3 units to end up on the opposite side of the battle from where they need to be

LordOrwell

Post by LordOrwell » Sun Jul 30, 2017 5:27 am

The only thing is if we go by that, then you never actually roll for the first charachter because of the sequencing of events. The rules state

"During Deployment, you can set this unit up in ambush instead of on the battlefield. At the end of any of your movement phases, it can launch an ambush - when it does so, roll a dice and consult the table below.

If you wish, before rolling on the Cult Ambush table for a Genestealer Cults Character, you can pick one friendly Genestealer Cults Infantry unit that was also set up in ambush to arrive with them; make one roll on the Cult Ambush table and apply the same result to both units. However, each of these units must be set up within 6" of each other.

If your army is Battle-forged, a unit can only make use of this ability if every unit in its Detachment has the Genestealer Cults keyword."

The way I see the sequencing, you:
-Select a unit to ambush (no die roll made yet)
-Interrupt with Tag along (still no die roll)
-Second Character has been selected to ambush and repeats (no die roll)
-A third, fourth, fifth, etc. until a non-character is selected (no die roll)
-roll a die and apply to "both" [ the way I see it, "both" is the both the first and second, both the second and third, etc]

technically, no die roll is ever made for the character with the tag along... a die roll is made, and the result is applied

that is the only reason this is even a question for me.

although, by my own omission, defining "both" like that is a bit of a stretch

even if it was ruled the way i see it, it wouldn't be entirely unfair. 50% of your units still have to start on the table, and there is still the chance that you roll poorly on the Cult ambush table, and all units you selected end up on the opposite side of the battle from where they need to be.

anyway, if you guys still disagree i wouldn't be super surprised. i get that i'm REALLY stretching definitions here, and there is a very strong case that I'm wrong. Just wanted to explain my reasoning. Thanks for the input!!