Tau Drone rule

If it ain't human, and it ain't from the warp, then it must be Xenos.
Bandit
Now we're getting somewhere...

Tau Drone rule

Post by Bandit » Thu Jul 06, 2017 6:28 pm

Saw a rule on the WH40K FB page.
And I've seen people kicked from a few tourney's lately because of the exact thing it's mentions.
I'll quote what I read, let me know what you guys think.

"Tau Drones- The Drone's Rule says that they have the Battlefield Role of the unit they accompany but aren't actually PART of the unit and can act independently. (They SHOULD all belong to the single unit that takes them forming an entire unit)

So for example, if they are fielded with an Elite unit they are Elites, or if they are fielded with Troops they are troops.

But because of this rule T.O's are saying that they take up a Detachment slot of the corresponding unit type.
And even in some cases whole lists are disqualified because Tau players aren't listing them as taking a slot and additionally if they don't fit in a detachment are being counted as more than a single "auxiliary".

the "Drone Support: Rule NEEDS to be done away with entirely and the "Saviour Protocols" rules should only be applied to stand alone Drone units."

Kovlovsky
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said

Re: Tau Drone rule

Post by Kovlovsky » Thu Jul 06, 2017 6:47 pm

Where is the quote ending? It feels like part of your own analysis is also in bold and it's not clear what part is quote and what part is your opinion.
Forum's NKVD Cpt. Kovlovsky

40k : 3945 points of Thousand Sons
380 pts of Tzeentch Daemons of Chaos

Thousand Sons WiP : http://www.miniwargaming.com/forum/view ... 6&t=114889

Fantasy : OnG

Bandit

Post by Bandit » Thu Jul 06, 2017 7:02 pm

Kovlovsky wrote:
Thu Jul 06, 2017 6:47 pm
Where is the quote ending? It feels like part of your own analysis is also in bold and it's not clear what part is quote and what part is your opinion.
Sorry, everything in Bold is what I Copy/pasted from that FB comment. In other words it's the entire quote.
The person on FB gave both opinions and examples in what seems like an attempt to clarify what he/she was saying.

SweetSorrow
MiniWarGaming Grand Marshall
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by SweetSorrow » Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:08 pm

Last time I checked if you Buy Drones as their own squad they take up a FoC Slot but if they are purchased to go with a unit they share a spot in that Units place???

Guess im confused why there is even confusion. Yes they can act independently but they were still purchased for the squad. Is it not the same way the Drones have always worked for the Tau vehicle's where yes they are bought with the vehicle but then can be de-attached and act independently?
The Stars Await, Let us now wander together.

Well then, this is rather entertaining
Chaos Marines - 5,000
IIIIIIIIII

Bandit

Post by Bandit » Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:32 pm

SweetSorrow wrote:
Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:08 pm
Last time I checked if you Buy Drones as their own squad they take up a FoC Slot but if they are purchased to go with a unit they share a spot in that Units place???

Guess im confused why there is even confusion. Yes they can act independently but they were still purchased for the squad. Is it not the same way the Drones have always worked for the Tau vehicle's where yes they are bought with the vehicle but then can be de-attached and act independently?
I'm confused as well why this is even an issue.
But like the individual that posted on FB I myself have seen people disqualified for taking drones with Battlesuit and not making them take up a slot.

Bojazz
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming

Post by Bojazz » Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:32 pm

Whoever is disqualifying people for that needs to retire as a TO. Not only is that completely incorrect, but is also ridiculous to even assume unless you're specifically trying to troll people.

When a unit may purchase drones, the rules say:
This Unit may be accompanied by X number of <Drone Type>.
The drones are purchased WITH that unit - not as a separate unit. If the drones were their own unit, then the datasheet would say "may be accompanied by "a unit of X number of <Drone Type>".
Furthermore, the Drone Support special rule says:
When <Unit> is set up on the battlefield, any accompanying drones are set up in unit coherency with it. From that point onwards, the Drones are treated as a separate unit.
So drones don't even become their own separate unit until AFTER deployment - which means during the list building stage it would be illegal to put them in their own FOC slot. The fact that they are one single unit is further evidenced by the requirement to be set up in unit coherency during deployment.
Craftworld Eldar - Power Level 360
Orks - Power Level 70

Devilsdog
Silver Vault Member

Post by Devilsdog » Sat Jul 15, 2017 7:02 am

I am not really a Tau player so sorry for asking.

But:
I understand all the stuff with that they act as another unit after deploy.

Are they all a new unit or every single one for himself?
For example: 3 Suits with 2 drones each.
Do those 6 drones act as 1x6 (squad) or as 6x1 (freelancer/skirmisher)?
In the grim darkness of the far future there is only war.

Bojazz

Post by Bojazz » Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:55 am

The rules say "the drones are treated as a separate unit. This is singular, so the drones taken as part of a unit would be treated as a single separate unit. So your example would result in one squad of 6 drones.
Craftworld Eldar - Power Level 360
Orks - Power Level 70

coldsteel

Post by coldsteel » Sun Jul 23, 2017 5:05 pm

Yeah, it's like the rules for Guard vehicle squadrons.
Crucifiers (SM codex) (11881/703 PL)
Orks (3745/255 PL)
Astra Militarum (####/378 PL)
Fallen Crucifiers (CSM codex) (####/351 PL)
Khornate Daemons (####/65 PL)
Death Guard (2387/128 PL)
Primaris Marines (1099/60 PL)

blippityblip
MiniWarGaming Veteran
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entry

Post by blippityblip » Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:20 pm

I don't see the issue, they are deployed with the unit and there after treated as separate units... So when you create the list they are the same unit, only after deployment are they separate, just like combat squadding a tactical squad or like was stated earlier, a tank squadron
power levels
Iron hands 1384pl
Ynnari 88pl
Admech 162pl
Imperial guard 326pl
Chaos 128pl
Space wolves 110pl
Tyranids ?

And a small dwarf army