8th Edition Necron Ghost Arks

If it ain't human, and it ain't from the warp, then it must be Xenos.
ado409
Bronze Vault Member

8th Edition Necron Ghost Arks

Post by ado409 » Mon Jul 03, 2017 2:16 am

Hey guys,

Played a few games against some 8th edition ghost arcs and have some thoughts.

1. Theyre really not good for points value. Yes they may be able to bring back some extra guys, but usually this will be no more than 2/3 in a 20 man squad. (From my experience)
2. They arent open topped anymore. This thing is now a rhino with some small firepower. Not worth the points.
3. I dont think ill be building my third one ghost arc. Unless theyre specifically used to run guys down the board. Warriors are baller in massive units with crypteks now.

Thoughts?
The wolves among us, bring strength to the pack leader. Relish this.

jewperbro
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Re: 8th Edition Necron Ghost Arks

Post by jewperbro » Mon Jul 03, 2017 4:29 am

I feel that pain my Mexican friend nicknamed them the 'Mexicons' because they just driveby'ed everything off the bored with their fire power...

TobyGaunt89
MiniWarGaming Regular

Post by TobyGaunt89 » Sat Jul 08, 2017 8:27 am

ado409 wrote:
Mon Jul 03, 2017 2:16 am
Hey guys,

1. Theyre really not good for points value. Yes they may be able to bring back some extra guys, but usually this will be no more than 2/3 in a 20 man squad. (From my experience)
2. They arent open topped anymore. This thing is now a rhino with some small firepower. Not worth the points.
3. I dont think ill be building my third one ghost arc. Unless theyre specifically used to run guys down the board. Warriors are baller in massive units with crypteks now.

Thoughts?
Well, there are some point worthy to point out in favor for the Ghost Ark.

1) The model is a T6 Vehicle with 14 Wounds. Yes, that's 1 less Toughness and Save value then the Rhino, but with 4 more wounds. In the grand scheme of things, Strength 3,4 and 5 shots will wound both vehicles on 5+. The Rhino may have a better chance in making it's saving throw then the Ark; but the Ark has more wounds to spare. Trade off.

2) Continue from point 1, The Rhino regains a lost wound back on the roll of 6+, while the Ark gets one back automatically. Favor, Ghost Ark. You also CANNOT forget that Quantum Shielding can outright stop Lascannons, Meltas and Missile Lauchers that inflict 4+ Damage on a D6 roll of a 1,2 or 3.

3) The Ghost Ark has Fly keyword, meaning not only can it move over units (and terrain), but it can also make Fall Back move and still fire its weapons.

4) The "small firepower" you spoke of is 10 to 20 Strength: 4 AP:-1 shots. The Rhino has a 1-2 Storm Bolters and a Hunter-Killer Missile.

5) Even though the Ghost Ark's Repair Barge rule may only return 1-3 lost models, it A) may do so EVERY TURN and B) Means that you affectively get Reanimation Protocols twice per turn. This is really good.

ado409
Bronze Vault Member

Post by ado409 » Mon Jul 10, 2017 12:43 am

Yeah, just needed some more thought into them. They arent bad. Any army composition that would be good with? aka, sitting around heaps of warriors? crypteks?

xsquidz
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Post by xsquidz » Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:59 am

I played against crons recently and he had a cryptic I think that made his renanimate work on 4+.

I had a unit of 20 warriors down to 3, he paid 2 CP to auto pass moral and with 2 reanimate rolls (one from a ghost ark) the unit was back to about 15 next turn... that can be brutal.

ado409
Bronze Vault Member

Post by ado409 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:27 pm

Yep. Im thinking either have a slow moving unit of 20 warriors with an arc behind and a cryptek. Two sets of these either side of the board. Either that or two sets of 20 on each side. give it a go anyways.

zigginator
Now we're getting somewhere...

Post by zigginator » Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:37 am

TobyGaunt89 wrote:
Sat Jul 08, 2017 8:27 am
ado409 wrote:
Mon Jul 03, 2017 2:16 am
Hey guys,

Thoughts?
Well, there are some point worthy to point out in favor for the Ghost Ark.

1) The model is a T6 Vehicle with 14 Wounds. Yes, that's 1 less Toughness and Save value then the Rhino, but with 4 more wounds. In the grand scheme of things, Strength 3,4 and 5 shots will wound both vehicles on 5+. The Rhino may have a better chance in making it's saving throw then the Ark; but the Ark has more wounds to spare. Trade off.

2) Continue from point 1, The Rhino regains a lost wound back on the roll of 6+, while the Ark gets one back automatically. Favor, Ghost Ark. You also CANNOT forget that Quantum Shielding can outright stop Lascannons, Meltas and Missile Lauchers that inflict 4+ Damage on a D6 roll of a 1,2 or 3.

3) The Ghost Ark has Fly keyword, meaning not only can it move over units (and terrain), but it can also make Fall Back move and still fire its weapons.

4) The "small firepower" you spoke of is 10 to 20 Strength: 4 AP:-1 shots. The Rhino has a 1-2 Storm Bolters and a Hunter-Killer Missile.

5) Even though the Ghost Ark's Repair Barge rule may only return 1-3 lost models, it A) may do so EVERY TURN and B) Means that you affectively get Reanimation Protocols twice per turn. This is really good.
Initially I was very meh towards Ghost Arks for similar reason as ado409.

My opinion is that transports have taken a hit in 8th Ed. for a few reasons;
Dis-embark before transport movement, open top/fire points have been removed/limited (in some cases) & restrictive transportation now that characters are there own unit.

However other than what TobyGaunt89 mentioned, I've seen some decent shenanigans with Ghost Arks.

1: Don't use it as transport, use it as a highly mobile - unlimited res-orb with 10/20 attacks that can fly move 12" and grab objectives when suitable.
2: Load your HQ's into the Ark, then pull a "Tricky Dickie" (C'tan Deceiver Shard) and move the Ghost Ark with your Lychgaurd/Anything to get close before movement, unload and alpha strike with goodies in tow. (Yes you can only move D3 units, command pointing this is suggested upon fail). This is more for players that like Lychguard/Praetorians even flayed ones as the Cryptek/Overlord will now be in support range + Res-Orb range of the Ark
3: Be Clutch, pick up that unit of 4 warriors that was 20 strong, fly away over everything and while they are embarked get them potentially 10 strong again, before dropping them off home.

Question for all;
I haven't math hammered this at all...: But if a Resurrection Orb is 35pts one use only. A Ghost Ark is 170pts with quantum shielding and living metal, has the firepower of 10 warriors that can move 12" with a Resurrection Orb that can be used every turn?
In an extreme scenario it makes 5 Reanimation attempts which is 175pts worth on its own, let alone Shooting + Soaking Damage + Potentially Securing Objectives. For 170pts it seems reasonable?