2k Guardian Spam - can it survive in 8th?

If it ain't human, and it ain't from the warp, then it must be Xenos.
Bojazz
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming

2k Guardian Spam - can it survive in 8th?

Post by Bojazz » Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:53 am

So I've been trying to play around with my guardian spam list, looking for ways to make it work in 8th edition. We got hit pretty hard this edition, so we're gonna have to switch things up a little.

Things we lost:
- the ability to take a warlock in each unit to conceal multiple units spread out around the board. we have to huddle or Daisy chain around a single warlock now.
- black guardians with deep strike
- multiple avatars for wider fearless bubbles.
- moving and shooting heavy weapons at full ballistic skill
- Double heavy weapons with the pale Courts battlehost.
- moving after you fire.
- re-rolling run and charge distances.

Things we gained:
- Assaulting out of transports
- Heavy weapons seem better overall (especially missile launchers!)
- Catapults can hurt everything now

So after a bit of tweaking here and there, this is what I came up as a first attempt at 8th edition guardians!

Batallion Detachment
- Warlock Council (7 Warlock's, 7 Singing Spears)
- 20 Guardians (2 Bright Lances)
- 5 Rangers
- 8 Storm Guardians ( 6 Chainsword, 2 Flamers)
- 8 Storm Guardians ( 6 Chainsword, 2 Flamers)
- Wave Serpent (Twin Missile Launchers, Shuriken Cannon, Spirit Stones, Crystal Targeting Matrix)
- Wave Serpent (Twin Missile Launchers, Shuriken Cannon, Spirit Stones, Crystal Targeting Matrix)

2000 points on the nose, 96PL. The the guardians blob up in the centre to stay within conceal range of the warlocks and fearless range of the Avatar. The Wave Serpents harass and drop the Storm Guardians as clean up crews or surgical strikes where needed. The third Wave serpent is in case I go second. I can deploy the warlock's inside the serpent to protect them from getting sniped off first turn, since they are crucial to the survival of the guardians. I chose 20 man squads to limit the number of units I am deploying, to try and get first turn more often.

So what do you guys think? Can we bring guardian spam into 8th? What would you change? I'd like to stick to a high number of guardians, but I'm certainly open to new strategies and synergies!
Craftworld Eldar - Power Level 360
Orks - Power Level 70

Bojazz
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming

Re: 2k Guardian Spam - can it survive in 8th?

Post by Bojazz » Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:59 pm

So I've switched this list up a little bit to try and be a little more reliable in pickup games, as well as making it exactly 100PL so I can use it for either play-style. I'm really liking this new list so I thought I'd share it.

Batallion (3CP):
- Farseer: Guide, Doom

- 20 Guardians: 2 Bright Lances
- 20 Guardians: 2 Bright Lances
- 8 Storm Guardians: 1 Flamer, 1 Fusion
- 8 Storm Guardians: 1 Flamer, 1 Fusion

- 3 Windriders: 3 Shuriken Cannons
- 3 Windriders: 3 Shuriken Cannons

- 2 War Walkers: 3 Bright Lances, 1 AML

- Wave Serpents: Twin Shuriken Cannons, Underslung Shuriken Cannon
- Wave Serpents: Twin Shuriken Cannons, Underslung Shuriken Cannon

Spearhead (1CP):
- Warlock: Conceal/Reveal
- Warlock: Conceal/Reveal
- Vaul's Wrath Support Battery: Shadow Weaver

This new variant sacrifices the Warlock Council (they were getting focussed down anyways) and one Guardian blob for more variety. Now Guardians of all sorts are taking to the field! The Windriders help get objectives and provide some fire support while the main body of Guardians floods the midfield with Conceal and the Avatar's fearless effect. Shadow Weavers can hit things out of sight, and the Walkers provide some redundancy for mech-based lists. I've also taken to throwing the storm guardians in my opponent's face right away to mess with their target priority rather than using them as cleanup crews. They really don't deal much damage other than with their flamers, so using them as bullet magnets to buy time for the rest of my army seems to work a lot better. As an added bonus with this variant, I can split some of the models into a second detachment to grab an extra Command Point. Hooray!
Craftworld Eldar - Power Level 360
Orks - Power Level 70

Return to “Xenos Races”