8th Edition Tyranid Tactica

If it ain't human, and it ain't from the warp, then it must be Xenos.
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Re: 8th Edition Tyranid Tactica

Post by AriaSilverfyre » Sat Jun 24, 2017 11:20 pm

Had my first taste of 8th the other day. Brought an 84PL list consisting of:

The Swarmlord
Flyrant w/Stranglethorn Cannon
Harpy w/2x Stranglethorn Cannons
15x Termies w/devourers
15x Hormies
Trygon Prime (which I had do the cool tunnel thing it does and had the Hormies come up with it)
6 Warriors (One with barbed strangler, 5 with deathspitters)

and went up against Necrons. The match only lasted two turns due to time issues, but in those two turns my fleet took down my opponent's Warlord, Canoptek Wraiths, Scarabs, and one other unit of infantry that I forgot the name of.

The Exocrine is BEASTLY. You can just sit it back and shoot at almost everything with the 36" range on that heavy cannon. On top of that, it's got a 3+ to hit and 12 attacks instead of 6 for standing still. Did 12 wounds to a Triarch Stalker in one round. Definitely, going to be a staple in my lists I think and also considering adding a second.

The Swarmlord is also a very heavy hitter in close combat. Wiped out 2 out of 3 of those Canoptek Wraits in the first round, then finished off the last one in the second, while it took no damage itself (lucky rolls I suppose?). Likely, going to have this one as another staple to my lists.

My Trygon Prime took down my opponent's Warlord (I forget the actual name of the unit it was) in CC fairly quickly. The extra attacks from all those scything talons were nice.

The Toxicrene also held up very well in CC. The tentacly bits took down a few models, while that choking gas also dealt some damage, as did the acid blood.

I can't say too much else about the rest, other than my brave little Termies taking out that unit of Scarabs in one full round of shooting from all 15 guns. Hormies didn't make it into combat. The spore mine vector strike from the Harpy did a little bit of dmg. It seems to have potential though, depending on how your dice favor you.

Going to mix things up for the next battle, to give more units a play test before I can really settle in to some comfortable lists. Deathleaper sounds amazing. Old One Eye looks like he may have potential when backed up by some 'Fex's. Lictors sound intriguing, and I plan to get my Raveners back together and on the table again too.
'Nid Momma, Genestealer Cultist Matriarch, Handmaiden to Alarielle's Will

MiniWarGaming Beginner

Post by Streicher119 » Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:50 pm

What do you guys think about using Genestealer Cult with Tyranids in 8th edition?

In 7th Tyranids were a hindrance to the Cult, but I don't think that's the case anymore.

My basic strategy would be to use the cult to attack any artillery or buffing units and take objective markers quickly while the Tyranids move up in mass.

Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said

Post by Kovlovsky » Mon Jun 26, 2017 3:29 pm

From what I could gather, the Tyranids were improved very much by the new edition. I think you should consider dusting them off and embrace the power of the Hive Mind. Life's too short for not using it to eat the biomass of a few more juicy planets. The cult is too slow at getting the job done, you need an hardier approach too. 8)
Forum's NKVD Cpt. Kovlovsky

40k : 3945 points of Thousand Sons
380 pts of Tzeentch Daemons of Chaos

Thousand Sons WiP : http://www.miniwargaming.com/forum/view ... 6&t=114889

Fantasy : OnG

Bronze Vault Member

Post by noograss » Wed Aug 30, 2017 6:39 am

What would you advice to bring against an imperial army heavily tanked ?
I mean Basilisk, manticore, leman russ and a dude called Pask ... :evil:

Swarmlord can one shot any of those but will suffer some heavy fire.
I used tyrannofex and exocrine which are really good when not moving, combined with venomthrope for a small smog.

any advice ?

MiniWarGaming Veteran

Post by Dheiti » Wed Aug 30, 2017 8:12 am

Exocrines definitely

I'd maybe throw a carnifex in a tyrannoctye, along with a burrowing trygon prime to pop up and tie up/smash through some tanks

Meanwhile swarmlord and everything else are marching up front

3 pronged. Head on, deep strikers, long range damage.
White Scars
Death Guard

Now we're getting somewhere...

Post by sylphilis » Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:24 am

Building my son's nids and we have (so far):

Old one eye
2 brood lords (3 if i use the one from overkill)

3 warriors with boneswords/spine fists
8 warriors with talons/deathspitters
2 warriors with talons/vc
3 warriors with lashwhip/bs/talons (I don't think this combo is legal in rules)
40 termigaunts
40 genestealers

Carnifex with talon/strangle thorn
Exocrine (magnitize to also be a haurespex)

What else would you guys recommend? Most lists here are around 1850-2000. I think I can get enough bits to build a tyrannofex for 2/3 the price.
Also, I'm stumped on what to do with my illegal warriors, should I break the arms off and replace them or wait on the new codex?

Silver Vault Member

Post by Aclys » Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:47 pm

Dont break something you are not sure how (you want) to fix it. Before the codex comes out you wont know if their current loadout will remain illegal or what will be best to turn them into. I would leave them as is untill you have a solid plan for them. :)

Silver Vault Member

Post by Deathwatch205 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:57 pm

Hi there guys.

I've been looking at Tyranids after collecting Blood Angels,
Deathwatch and guard. I've been finding it difficult to choose whether or not to get Tyranids as I'm used the imperial armies.

I love units that can deep strike and surround the enemy. I know that Tyranids mostly outnumber the enemy but I have the feeling that they will die easily like guard.

But I gotta say I love the look of the Raveners. How would you guys go about making a deep strike heavy list and getting in the enemies face while still having a few strong ranged units to hold the backfield and shoot stuff
2,000 points Deathwatch
1,850 points Blood Angels
1,000 points Astra militarum/Elysian drop troops

Return to “Xenos Races”