Hopes for 8th Edition Ork Changes

If it ain't human, and it ain't from the warp, then it must be Xenos.
Donteatrawhagis
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming

Hopes for 8th Edition Ork Changes

Post by Donteatrawhagis » Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:48 pm

What do you hope for the new edition?

General:
[*] Overall Melee and shooting to be on par with each other.
[*] Mob rule fixed.
[*] Clan rules similar to chapter tactics. Or formations.

Lords of War:
[*] Gorkanaut Morkanaut being on par with Imperial Knights and full on superheavy as opposed to a standard heavy support choice. To match with fluff.
Writer/Programmer

NotAlpharius
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Re: Hopes for 8th Edition Ork Changes

Post by NotAlpharius » Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:30 pm

I think Orks should be S4 base and instead of Furious Charge they get Shred on the charge. That way they are not penalized for getting stuck in combat, but rewarded for all out charges. Also, maybe we give Nobz a 6+ FNP. Bigger badder Orks are supposed to be able to shrug off limbs being blown off and skulls being spit in the midst of combat right?
All generalizations are false.

Bojazz

Post by Bojazz » Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:40 pm

I feel like MANZ should get something too. Maybe an invuln or a pseudo-fearless or something. Just something so you can field them as something other than a suicide missile
Craftworld Eldar - Power Level 360
Orks - Power Level 70

SweetSorrow
MiniWarGaming Grand Marshall
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by SweetSorrow » Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:35 pm

I am not an Ork Player, but maybe if you need a Monstrous creature making Slightly bigger Meganobz as like Monstrous Infantry or something. They are already more expensive and bigger models than a terminator anyway, make them feel it. That or actually have deff dreads be decent and have them take up that role, I havent seen an ork player take their walkers and forever so maybe having those be viable would be nice. I definitely agree that having every codex subfactions to be as good and unique as chapter tactices is something that needs to be done flat out.
The Stars Await, Let us now wander together.

Well then, this is rather entertaining
Chaos Marines - 5,000
IIIIIIIIII

Kovlovsky
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said

Post by Kovlovsky » Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:25 pm

For me, Orks should be strength 4 all the way. There are absolutely no reason for it not being the case. Orks are huge and have extremely large muscles. As for Space Marines vs Orks, I like to see it in the following way: humans need to be genetically enhanced to compete with Orks in muscular strength. Think about it. Currently, Orks are disadvantaged in the shooting phase by being inaccurate and having overall less weapon diversity and less powerful weapons. But even in CC, they don't really stand up in CC by being only S3 if they don't break the enemy on the charge or if they get charges on top of almost always striking last and having poor saves. They need a little extra punch.

As for furious charge, I would keep it on Nobs, MANZ, Warbosses, Big Meks and other big characters at least. I'm not sure for the Boyz and other smaller gitz. Shred would be probably too much as a universal special rule.

The monstrous creature could be either Ghazghul Trakka with a new bigger model or a Squiggoth.
Forum's NKVD Cpt. Kovlovsky

40k : 3945 points of Thousand Sons
380 pts of Tzeentch Daemons of Chaos

Thousand Sons WiP : http://www.miniwargaming.com/forum/view ... 6&t=114889

Fantasy : OnG

Donteatrawhagis

Post by Donteatrawhagis » Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:44 am

I'm hoping for the Prime-Orks (I love the Primarch Pun) to get represented in the next edition. From the Beast Arises books.

After reading about Imperial Knight sized Orks I would be pumped for Monsterous creature Orks as Lords of War.
Writer/Programmer

Guildenstern
Lost in the MiniWarGaming world...
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildWon 3 monthly Terrain Group BuildsHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by Guildenstern » Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:38 pm

I love the idea of Mob Rule being related to how many are in a unit. And/or make a formation "mob" with nobz required (though honestly Nob + boss pole seems pretty required now anyway)

I like Furious Charge a lot especially for boyz, maybe give Shred to nobz? I don't really know the rules well enough to know if that's balanced tho.

But omg monstrous creatures hulloooo

SQUIG - we need a monstrous squig! with like 3 grot handlers ^_^ the grots might get eaten if the Squig fails to charge, and if it eats the last grot, it goes on a rampage to the closest target lol

Clan rules would be excellent! give the different clans more of an immersive feel too. If GW goes to warscrolls like they do with AoS it's even likely imo, given how they have done the various Skaven and such.

Would love to see the Gorka/Morkanaut more useful every time I see it get used it seems to be underwhelming (in bat reps, I don't have one).

Another thing I wish they'd 'fix' though this may not be only orks, is the fliers. They just don't seem that good to me, from what little I've used mine. I'd like to see more vehicles in 40k anyway as I just love them. Infantry's great and all but tanks are awesome.
Dez: "PAINT FOR THE PAINT GODS, SPRUES FOR THE SPRUE THRONE!!"
Guildy's WIP thread (mostly Skaven)
Guildy's weeklypaint thread! (everything mostly not Skaven!)

Kovlovsky
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said

Post by Kovlovsky » Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:43 pm

Oh yes! Clan rules! That would be amazing. I love the idea of giant squigs too! There is a FW model for them for Fantasy and it looks amazing!
Forum's NKVD Cpt. Kovlovsky

40k : 3945 points of Thousand Sons
380 pts of Tzeentch Daemons of Chaos

Thousand Sons WiP : http://www.miniwargaming.com/forum/view ... 6&t=114889

Fantasy : OnG

Donteatrawhagis

Post by Donteatrawhagis » Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:34 am

KuVenet wrote:I agree with much of what was already said. I agree an Ork needs to be toe to toe with a Marine in Strength. Also we have to keep in mind we are attempting to give 8th edition speculations using 7th edition rules. Its been said my numerous sources that Shadow War is our first taste of 8th edition.
However if we are going to use the current rule set for hopeful improvements...I propose the following..

*Strength of the Mob- Ork boyz/Nobs, gain Hammer of Wrath attack on charges. Further more this HoW attack gains +1 strength for every 5 models in the unit. It is said that the strength of the ork mob charging an enemy can turn over a tank, with the sheer amount of bodies and muscle they throw at something!

*Waaaaaghhh!!!- Once per game, as long as the Warboss is still in play, The Ork player can call a Waaaaagh!!. Once this is done, for ONE game round, all Ork Infantry reduce their BS by 1 and add it to their WS. Also All Orks gain a 6+ feel no pain for the game Round. Such is the power of the Waaaagh!!! that Orks all but abandon their ranged weaponry to indulge in the savagery of close combat.

These are just a couple things I think would help the faction out quite a bit, without breaking the bank so to speak.
As a toyz before boyz player I am against this! :wink:

I like the Hammer of Wrath Attacks being part of the mob formation because I usually run a lot of walkers and don't need that rule.

As for Waaagh, rerolling charge distance was good for 8th, but in the new system a lot can change. For instance Age of Sigmar's Waaagh gives +1 attack to squads within 12 inches.

All in all there is a lot Rules wise to speculate. I'm hoping vehicles get better and same with charging. Though my army is full of lootas because they are cheese. :lol:
Writer/Programmer

cdscottie
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by cdscottie » Tue May 02, 2017 8:35 pm

I agree with all that has been posted and I am hoping that my Orks will be on the table more often. Since 6th, they were slowly getting played less and less but with the teased rules thus far, it feels like I might have a reason to bring the horde out to play.

Some things I'd personally want fixed/changed:
- Fix or get rid of the mob rule tables. Nothing fun about them and only less annoying if you start using the supplements
- Balance out the Stompa a bit so that people don't complain as much if it rumbles onto the table
- Give the boyz the strength they deserve. I know, I know the basic units are strength 3 but common, these are Orks!
- I secretly want Lootaz to go back to the Elite second of the FOC but I know that won't be happening.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Army:
Orks: 7,000 + points
Currently Painting: Trukk
Next Up: Dakka Jet